• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry Mortars (From: Pioneers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes but just like other systems MGs have their pros and cons.

Blanketing an entire area with 9.4g balls of fury are great for unprotected troops in the open, but would do nothing against a bunker.

Likewise, a single 84mm round may take out the bunker but even if fired at a 45 degree angle* might not make 1800m and even if it did wouldn't kill everyone in the open like the C6s would.

*I am proposing this test to higher to see if the 84mm CG can perform lobbing fire and also replace the 60mm mortar.  Never mind that the back blast might actually launch the gunner into the air.

You're making 40mm AGL vs MMG/HMG/SRAAW arguments.  No one is denying that a 40mm AGL would have utility as a direct fire weapon.

The issue is when people start advocating the CASW as an indirect weapon with the intention of replacing the mortar.  That's just crazy talk.

Wonderbread said:
You're making 40mm AGL vs MMG/HMG/SRAAW arguments.  No one is denying that a 40mm AGL would have utility as a direct fire weapon.

The issue is when people start advocating the CASW as an indirect weapon with the intention of replacing the mortar.  That's just crazy talk.

That's absolutely right. Just so long as you can fix a bayonet to the CASW!! ;)

OK back to business.
Each weapon has its own strengths and limitations. The guys that actually use them know it.

It seems that the guys who know squat about them think they are the cure for all our woes.

60mm = simple, easy to use, easy to maintain,
CASW = more complicated, not as easy to train on, and harder to maintain.

You are completely wrong about the CASW being difficult.  It may be that the fire control system ends up being complicated, but that's not the weapon.

The CASW is basically a grenade launching C9 or C6.  Are you saying that those are complicated for you?

Petamocto said:
You are completely wrong about the CASW being difficult.  It may be that the fire control system ends up being complicated, but that's not the weapon.

The CASW is basically a grenade launching C9 or C6.  Are you saying that those are complicated for you?

Maintenance is a key function for a weapons system.  Introduce increased complexity and you are trading off reliability.  Maintain a mortar: Easy.  Maintain a CASW: Less easy.  Needs additional techs.  Which PYs in the Bn will you eliminate to get those additional techs?

Ease of transport is important for a weapons system.  Carry a mortar for 5km.  Then carry a CASW for 5km.  Then employ them.  Let me know which one is more difficult, and which one can get rounds downrange faster.

dapaterson said:
Ease of transport is important for a weapons system.  Carry a mortar for 5km.  Then carry a CASW for 5km.  Then employ them.  Let me know which one is more difficult, and which one can get rounds downrange faster.
The heaviest single component of the CASW (for the comparison study) was judged to be 30 kg AND was deemed to be man-portable.  The weight of the in-service 60mm, with bipod, MFDC, thermal sight and 8 x 60mm Rounds came out at 27kg total.  Just for info.

As well, for high QE fire, the minimum range of the CASW is 1700 m, and its max range in high QE is 2000 m, so any fire (high QE) is virtually impossible for the CASW.

Is there any website or document available (on the DIN or Internet) that talks about the CASW.  I am real familiar with the 60mm, but the only things I know about the CASW are from rumours and I don't know if they are correct.  I have tried googling it with no luck, and I never have any luck using the DIN search.

Just would like to become more familiar with it after reading some of the arguments for and against it.  If it is only available on the DIN PM me and I will send you my work info.

You guys who use the weight issue are completely blinded by bias.

Yes the CASW system itself weighs more than the mortar, but is that the only thing a soldier is expected to carry, or am I right out to lunch to expect that they would actually be carrying ammunition for it, too?

Even if you share the load, have fun getting any more than one quick fire mission out of a mortar.

This is not my opinion...this is all based on the CF's direct comparison of the two.  Essentially the findings showed that mortar ammunition weighed so much that it was essentially impossible to have multiple effects (ie missions) with it.

As soon as you mention using other methods (vehicles) to carry the ammunition, you are fighting your own argument by saying the CASW weighs too much.

Keep holding onto those bows and arrows (and swords) guys...keep fighting the last war and ignore that new things can be better.

30 kg = 66 lbs or so

Add to that the pers wpn & ammo, helmet, body armor, Tac Vest (or similar rig) what is the load out on the soldier plus ammo for the CASW. That's a substantial load I'd say.

Man Portable? Like hell it is. The total weight of the old 81 mm mortar was 81 lbs or about 37 kg. It had four distince pieces: Bipod, baseplate, the tube and the C2 sight and was manned by a three man crew.

One characteristic of the 81mm:

Man portable for SHORT DISTANCES. Our short distance was out the back of the M113 about 15 meters. Techonoviking, you may have more to add about 81's.

The CASW is a direct fire weapon, am I correct?
  But then again, I'm a dino dude.

Adding another tool to the Infantry is not in and of itself a bad thing.

But overselling it and its portability is quite another.  Adding 30kg to an individual`s load and expecting them to carry it for a significant distance (as specified in the requirements documentation) is not a valid result.

Agin, I challenge you:  Carry the CASW for the distance specified in the SOR, then engage a target.  (With the specified crew complement, of course).  Repeat with a 60mm mortar.  Compare time to reach objective (that is, to walk the distance), and time to get first rounds downrange.

If, on the other hand, this is almost exclusively for employment from the back of a vehicle or from a vehicle mount, then what tools do we provide to dismounted infantry?  Fast air is not always available; guns may not be immediately available either.

Integral assets are always there.  On-call assets may not be.

Petamocto said:
You guys who use the weight issue are completely blinded by bias.

Yes the CASW system itself weighs more than the mortar, but is that the only thing a soldier is expected to carry, or am I right out to lunch to expect that they would actually be carrying ammunition for it, too?

Even if you share the load, have fun getting any more than one quick fire mission out of a mortar.

This is not my opinion...this is all based on the CF's direct comparison of the two.  Essentially the findings showed that mortar ammunition weighed so much that it was essentially impossible to have multiple effects (ie missions) with it.
Actually, that comparison is flawed.  Allow me to re-illustrate
The mortar, bipod, sight unit, Mortar Fire Data Calculator, Vector/Thermal Binos and 8 rounds weighs 27 kg.  This is carried by three.
I don't have the illustrative weight on hand for the CASW, with tripod, FCS and 28 (?) rounds weighs signficantly more.  The largest component that cannot be broken down (eg: carried by one) is 30 kg.  That one piece alone weighs more than a complete mortar with enough for one mortar firing one mission of say 5 rounds fire for effect (assuming 3 rounds adjusting).  That comparison said that it is man-portable over short distances, which meant up to 10 km.
Today's soldier, armed with C7A2, ammo, water, plates, grenades, etc, carries quite a bit.  To assume that he/she can carry 30 kg (that one component alone) on top of all that and still function in combat effectively is flawed.  Yes, with that weight load, the CASW can fire more.  My answer?  If 30 kg is "light" enough to allow one person to carry and still be man-portable, then three soldiers could carry 3 complete mortars with 24 bombs and still be up by 9 kg of illustrative weight.
Now, could a GMG with FCS have its use?  Certainly!  It's a fantastic weapon system, capable of direct fire out to ~2000 m, able to hit people behind *some* cover (2 m or so); however, it is not effective in a high QE engagement: it's range band is 1700 metres to 2000 metres: a circle of 300 metres.  The comparison says that the platoon would have to call upon a CASW further back from the target to engage in high QE.  My answer to that is: if you're going to call someone, call the artillery. 
The CASW is a fantastic weapon for light infantry: those who don't have 25mm Chain Guns integral to their ORBAT.  In our army, the only true light infantry are probably CSOR or JTF-2 (nb: this is an assumption.  Our infantry are not light infantry, even without LAVs.  They are just "mechanised without vehicles", whatever that means).
A 60 mm can screen and blind: a CASW cannot.  A 60 mm can illuminate: a CASW cannot.  Our 60mm can engage in high QE fire, by both direct and indirect means, from about 80 metres to over 2800 metres.  A CASW cannot.
For direct fire engagements out to just over 2000 metres, the current Infantry Platoon has 4 x 25mm Chain guns (with associated coax fire to 1500 or so) and a GPMG (SF) that can shoot about the same distance.
The point is that a platoon, even separated from its LAVs, already has a plethora of direct fire low QE-fire weapons: 1 x GMPG, 6 x LMG and many rifles.  If a "target of opportunity" appears out to say 800 metres or so, the platoon can shoot it (so long as they can see it).  The 60mm only adds flexibility that a CASW cannot.

(Now, having said all of this, a .50 calibre machine gun can do what a CASW can do, in most cases, in the low QE-fire role.  The weights are similar (ammo, tripod, gun, etc).  Given the role of a .50 in a light unit, perhaps a CASW would be better compared to it.)

So, the comparison in area that can be engaged in high QE-fire by the CASW is 3,487,065 m2.  This represents the area in a circle from a single CASW that is from 1700 metres out to 2000 metres.  That sounds like a large area; however, remember that it is only 300 metres "thick"
The area that can be engaged in high QE-fire by a 60mm is 24,629,360 m2.  This represents the area ina  circle from a single 60mm Mortar that is from 80 metres out to 2800 metres.  This sounds like a large area, and it is: by far. 

So, to illustrate the usage of a 60mm in a random scenario, assuming that a platoon has no LAVs in location for whatever reason.  Some enemy (any scenario) appear say at 1500 metres.  The platoon can engage in direct fire with the GPMG immediately.  "Point and shoot".  The enemy, being smart, takes cover.  This will take time, and the rest of our platoon can simply watch.  Assume that the 60mm is not set up, let alone laid on the target.  It can be set up and laid within 2 minutes (I'm using the old standard for an 81mm to go into action, roughly).  Assume three minutes have passed, and those enemy have gone to ground, the platoon commander is sending contact reports higher and is preparing to send a fire mission.  The enemy are in cover, and the GMPG is having a tough time engaging, because the enemy most likely cannot be effectively engaged.  At about the four minute mark, the first 60mm bomb is landing, from above, and the cover the enemy have taken no longer protect them effectively.  Or it does, pinning them in a grape hut, bunker or whatever.  At the five minute mark, the 60mm has found the range and is starting to effectively engage the enemy, keeping them in place, when the GPMG can no longer do so.  At this point, the real killers, the 155mm HE rounds, are about to start landing.  The 60mm no longer needs to fire, and neither does the GPMG: the M777s are winning the fire fight and the platoon can go about conducting its quick attack in the manner dictated by the ground.  The GPMG and the mortar can form the firebase to keep the enemy in place for now, and the 60mm can continue to fire when the M777s must lift due to danger-close restrictions.
Yes, I understand that this is an illustrative scenario, but the point is that the 60mm can fire when other low QE-fire weapons cannot.  It gives the platoon commander the ability to outrange enemy direct fire low QE-fire weapons with his own assets, and to hit the enemy in complex terrain when other weapons within his personal tool-box cannot.

Mid Aged Silverback said:
Man portable for SHORT DISTANCES. Our short distance was out the back of the M113 about 15 meters. Techonoviking, you may have more to add about 81's.
Nope, that's about it for the 81 mm Mortars.  About 15 metres from the track to the firing position.  But the big weight was the bombs.  Oh, they were heavy!!!  :crybaby:

I got the "new replies have been posted while you were typing" message, and TechnoV already covered my point, but I'll throw this out there anyways:

Petamocto said:

Sure, overall the CASW with ammo might weigh less, but a weapons system is only as man portable as it's heaviest component. A 30kg gun is a ridiculous weight to carry for any single soldier beyond the shortest of distances.

While the 60mm mortar might weigh more once you factor in the ammo, the components can at least be distributed so that a platoon on it's way to the fight isn't slowed down by a single over-burdened man.

And a single mission with the weapon you have is more effective then no mission from the weapon you left behind for the sake of mobility.

Petamocto, I'm not old enough to cling to any war besides Afghanistan.  I've watched guys score first round kills with the 60 in places the 25 couldn't reach.  I've watched, up close, an American ETT dude rock his Mk19 into a Taliban position.  There is no way the latter will substitute for the former.

I am not an opponent of the mortar, it is most of you who are opponents of the CASW.

I fully realize that there is a limited spectrum of employment where the mortar is slightly better than the CASW.  However, an objective comparison of the two reveals that in far more scenarios the CASW outperforms the mortar, and in some cases by a gigantic amount.

For example, you guys keep focusing on weight or the fact that if you can hit something with a mortar it has a bigger oomph than the CASW.  For argument's sake, I will grant you that in both of those cases you win.  With weight, say the mortar scores a 70% and the CASW a 60%.  And for shock action rounds, say the mortar gets 80% and the CASW 60% (and that's being ridiculously optimistic, as the CASW can blanket an area with HE).

However, in the (more) examples where the CASW outperforms the mortar, such as precision engagements or moving targets, the CASW beats the mortar by scores like 90% to 10%.

Wonderbread, I too have personally bullseye'd point targets with the mortar, and by hand at that (no bipod), however, would I have taken those shots if there were innocent civilians 25m away on either side?  Absolutely not.

Petamocto said:
With weight, say the mortar scores a 70% and the CASW a 60%.  And for shock action rounds, say the mortar gets 80% and the CASW 60% (and that's being ridiculously optimistic, as the CASW can blanket an area with HE).

However, in the (more) examples where the CASW outperforms the mortar, such as precision engagements or moving targets, the CASW beats the mortar by scores like 90% to 10%.

Have you got a source document from trials that substantiates these numbers?  If so, I'd like to review it, can you send it to my DIN address and I will get it next week.

So you're saying that the CASW can defeat a fleeting enemy by indirect fire with a 5-10 round burst or defeat a static target by indirect fire without significant risk to bystanders 25m away on either side?

Mike, as per the post, it was for argument/discussion sake and thus paraphrased.  On Monday however, I will be happy to send you the trial results that showed how significantly the CASW outperformed the mortar.

Wonderbread, why use indirect?  Cock the weapon, aim it, and start hammering away with rounds on target in seconds.  I never said indirect, that was you.

However, even going with your desire to push the indirect issue, yes I would still feel more comfortable using the CASW in the indirect role than a mortar, for three reasons:

1.  With your correction/bracketing rounds, if you're off the rounds are smaller so less collateral damage;
2.  Due to the rate of fire, you are able to correct far faster and get rounds on target quicker; and
3.  Once you are on target, you can blanket what you want to hit with more overall power faster (less HE per round, but far more pers killed in one minute, for example).

Petamocto said:
I too have personally bullseye'd point targets with the mortar, and by hand at that (no bipod), however, would I have taken those shots if there were innocent civilians 25m away on either side?  Absolutely not.

I used to bulls-eye womprats on my T-16 back home. They weren't much bigger than 2m.

Sry. :)

Regarding the comparison of the 60mm vs the CASW done a few years ago, in a previous job it was hard to argue for the 60mm in the face of the CASW when the CASW was a collection of pure awesome on a powerpoint. It is hard to fight against conceptual awesome, especially when you can't go out and do the "touch, lick, love" test on it. Matching a real weapon against an imagined weapon is hard.

As a tanker I will now back out of this debate. Please forgive my intrusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back