• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infantry FEET

f250suds

Inactive
Reaction score
How can I toughen my feet for extended road marches with equipment. I'm thinking of doing the Nijmegan March but have heard the horror stories of blisters and want to avoid that if possible. Any ideas, tips or tricks will be appreciated.

If you try a search on the words - toughen feet - you'll find a few threads come up that discuss the subject.

Have a friend slap the bottoms of your feet with a leather belt until you can't take it anymore. :snowman:

Jammer said:
Have a friend slap the bottoms of your feet with a leather belt until you can't take it anymore. :snowman:

Then when you have welts, soak them in salt water, or iodine..... :christmas happy:

One trick I heard from an old Airborne guy was to soak your feet in Tea, the tanic acid toughens the skin on the feet.

Disclaimer: I have not tried this method so I do not have first hand knowledge of the results.

Disclaimer 2: Make sure the Tea is cold.

Blisters Begone - Toughen Your Feet

Tannic acid to toughen: Marathoners and long distance walkers may want to toughen the feet with 10% tannic acid or a tea soak. Apply the tannic acid to your feet, or soak in strong tea, twice daily for two to three weeks.

See also:
http://www.podiatry-arena.com/podiatry-forum/showthread.php?t=3559

Here is the best advice for preparing your feet; I have had my section do this for a long time and it is proven to work.

1. Purchase 'Black Tea' (any brand from the local grocery store)

2. Foot bath

3. Boil a pot full of water place in the tea bags

4. One cap full of rubbing alcohol

Soak the feet for about 20 minutes a day it works trust me there is a website that sells some great stuff as well known as "Tuff Foot' http://www.tuffoot.com/ I tried this myself but prefer the black tea method. I few buddies of mine used this for a few schools during the time there 'Ranger and Selection' they seem to big fans of it. I think it smells too much...

http://www.tuffoot.com/

Forget soaking you feet........

Simplets advice for toughening up your feet :

GO OUTSIDE AND WALK........

f250suds said:
How can I toughen my feet for extended road marches with equipment. I'm thinking of doing the Nijmegan March but have heard the horror stories of blisters and want to avoid that if possible. Any ideas, tips or tricks will be appreciated.

Well, from my experience as a Maritimer, walking the beaches barefoot all summer long over all those barnacle and muscle encrusted rocks works well.

Ergo, I personally recommend that you propose that your Nijmegan team be afforded, at Crown expense, an extended stay for 'bonified training purposes' at a nice little Maritime hamlet somewhere prior to your march ... St Andrews for example. But, that's just me ... and I'd actually put that in writing and submit through my CoC if only to see their reaction to it.

f250suds said:

Seriously... I know lots of people that have done this march, and all have got blisters... you'll do plenty of marching before hand (couple hundred, including 40 km days)... Practicing for a ruck march is like practicing to get kicked in the balls... you can do it all you want, but it's still going to suck!!!

Journeyman said:
I'm sure it will be approved.
In this time of budget cuts, when they appoint a Major-General to oversee "Op Nijmegen"...  ::)

But don't think that this kind of personal interest will automatically make Nijmegan a good go.

Somehow, our team will either: a) cross the river and finish the task three days ahead of schedule, or b) suffer a catastrophic failure as it finds itself surrounded on three sides by a dug in and determined enemy.

Wonderbread you and I know first hand just how compotent this "Officer" is I am sure with his stellar "leadership" this team will be the best ever....  ::)

On another note someday I would like to meet him again when I am not in a hospital bed  :threat:

Back