• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Infanteer to Combat Engineer?

Aeres

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm quite confused at what I have to do to change trades. I've asked around and I haven't quite found any answers...So here's my situation. I'm a 17-year-old Infantry Reservist who wants to be a combat engineer. I'm starting my last year of high school and I just finished my INF DP1 a few weeks ago. Once I finish high school, where do I go to make this happen? Thanks a lot (:

Depends.  Are you looking to stay in the Reserves, or join the Regular Force?

Search the site for information on Component Transfers.  I`m not certain whether or not Cbt Engr is currently open, but you`d apply through an electronic form.

i have no idea how it works for reservists but i know there trying to thin out infantry and the special occupation transfer program is still happening try talking to a base personal selection officer

roame said:
i have no idea how it works for reservists but i know there trying to thin out infantry and the special occupation transfer program is still happening try talking to a base personal selection officer

That program applies to RegF infantry.........

Is there even a Reserve Combat Engineer unit near you?  If the answer ends up being "no", then it's kind of a moot point and you're only going to get to be a Combat Engineer if you join the Regs (as brought up, if it's even open).

Go to your Orderly Room and ask them to brief you on the procedure to conduct a Component Transfer.  You can also read the topics on this site that cover that subject. 

Petamocto said:
Is there even a Reserve Combat Engineer unit near you?  If the answer ends up being "no", then it's kind of a moot point and you're only going to get to be a Combat Engineer if you join the Regs (as brought up, if it's even open).

The closest Reserve Engineer Unit would be 33 CER in Ottawa about an 175km round trip from Cornwall......

Aeres said:
I'm quite confused at what I have to do to change trades. I've asked around and I haven't quite found any answers...So here's my situation. I'm a 17-year-old Infantry Reservist who wants to be a combat engineer. I'm starting my last year of high school and I just finished my INF DP1 a few weeks ago. Once I finish high school, where do I go to make this happen? Thanks a lot (:

BTW expect not to be credited with any of your BMQ/SQ(BMQ-L)/DP 1 INF courses when you switch to Regular Force Combat Engineer

Even if he somehow were still granted equivalence for BMQ and BMQ-L (obviously not DP1), I would argue to do it again anyway just to be a rockstar at it.  Where everyone else would be learning everything from scratch, you'd had a huge competitive advantage already knowing things like drill and the rank structure.

Petamocto said:
Even if he somehow were still granted equivalence for BMQ and BMQ-L (obviously not DP1), I would argue to do it again anyway just to be a rockstar at it.  Where everyone else would be learning everything from scratch, you'd had a huge competitive advantage already knowing things like drill and the rank structure.

Waste of resources.  Why repeat individual trianing if someone is already qualified?

The Army (and CF) have to start getting into the post-Afghanistan mentality, where resources are not limitless and priorities must be set.  Repeating BMQ-L for the sake of being a "rockstar" is a waste of Her Majesty's shillings, that are getting to be increasingly scarce.

well I already knew that my DP1 was useless, but BMQ and BMQ(L) too? :/ I heard that BMQ(L) will be eliminated anyway, starting next summer, so BMQ will be a 10 week thing, just like before...well it doesn't matter to me, I'll do it again, but personally find that it's a waste of money...and I have connections in Ottawa so changing units and finding residence would be no problem...

dapaterson said:
Waste of resources.  Why repeat individual trianing if someone is already qualified?

The Army (and CF) have to start getting into the post-Afghanistan mentality, where resources are not limitless and priorities must be set.  Repeating BMQ-L for the sake of being a "rockstar" is a waste of Her Majesty's shillings, that are getting to be increasingly scarce.

Dap, BMQ and BMQ-L for the Reserves and Reg Force are two different entites....  exxample BMQ at CFLRS is 14 weeks vice 20+1 training days for P Res...

NFLD Sapper said:
BTW expect not to be credited with any of your BMQ/SQ(BMQ-L)/DP 1 INF courses when you switch to Regular Force Combat Engineer

Whether or not he will have to redo BMQ or SQ will be up to the Career Shop when / if an offer is made to the member. As an example, when I CT'd to the Reg force and went to Chilliwack many moons ago, my PRes BMQ was written off, as were the BMQ's of the remainder of my coursemates. However, the CTs on the course already in progress when I arrived in the 'Wack all had to redo everything from BMQ on up - including those who were PRes Fd Engr. So there is no hard and fast rule on repeat of courses. I do agree though, that an unnecessary repeat of courses is a waste of not only the member's time, but also of financial resources that could be used to train another potential CF member. And really, after a few years, other than the member and his small circle of buddies on those courses, who remembers a QL3 "rockstar"? When he gets to his first posting, he's still a FNG, #2 LMG and 2 - 4 piquet anyways :D

The last I heard was that DP1 Cbt Engr production is going to start slowing down next year by a considerable amount, so who knows how much longer the trade will stay open - that is, if it is even open now. OP - as was already mentioned, get into your OR and start asking questions. If you don't get any joy, your local CFRC will be more than happy to help you out  :nod:

dapaterson said:

Because being qualified at something at the Reserve level is not automatically equivalent to being qualified at the Reg Force level.

I would argue that there are some things that one you learn it's learned and no more practice or learning isn't necessarily going to make you better at it, but there are some things that more training will bring you to a higher standard of.

So for something like BMQ, if you learn drill and the rank structure that would be one thing, but things like section attacks on BMQ-L might bring the candidate to a much higher standard on a longer course (which Reg Force ones can be).

Because every true Infanteer wants to endure way more Confirmation Of Combat Knowledge than they really need or are entitled too. ;D

If they are granted BMQ/BMQ-L equivalency it means that their training and experience have been assessed as meeting the goals of the course.  Repeating it remains a waste of time and effort on the part of the individual and of the CF.  Everyone who thinks the CF has piles of extra money floating around for unneeded training, please raise your hand.

It's all hypothetical at this point, anyways.

well if things don't work out I do have a backup plan but it's terribly different from combat engineer so I really hope that it'll work :|

If you are still interested and can transfer to Ottawa, 33 CER is still looking for pers.  (until you are ready to transfer to the reg force)

Chimo!

Back