• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Indigenous self-ID/"Pretendians" (merged thread)

The ante is upped....

Rescind Turpel-Lafond's honorary degrees or we'll return ours, say high-profile Indigenous women​

Academic integrity expert says Turpel-Lafond story is a ‘watershed moment for Canadian higher education’​

And.... she's out of a job, for being a Pretendian!

Mary-Ellen Turpel-Lafond, who was the province's first children's watchdog, is no longer a professor at the University of British Columbia, months after a CBC report raised questions about her claimed Indigenous background.

Turpel-Lafond served as the Representative for Children and Youth from 2007 to 2016. In that time she made headlines for criticizing government policies that failed kids in care, particularly Indigenous kids. She spent 20 years as a provincial court judge in Saskatchewan and had two roles at UBC, as a professor at the Peter A. Allard School of Law and as the director of the Indian Residential School History and Dialogue Centre.

A CBC report entitled "Disputed History," published in October of 2022, scrutinized Turpel-Lafond's claim of Indigeneity and some of her academic achievements.

CTV News reached out to Turpel-Lafond but has not received a response.

And.... she's out of a job, for being a Pretendian!

Mary-Ellen Turpel-Lafond, who was the province's first children's watchdog, is no longer a professor at the University of British Columbia, months after a CBC report raised questions about her claimed Indigenous background.

Turpel-Lafond served as the Representative for Children and Youth from 2007 to 2016. In that time she made headlines for criticizing government policies that failed kids in care, particularly Indigenous kids. She spent 20 years as a provincial court judge in Saskatchewan and had two roles at UBC, as a professor at the Peter A. Allard School of Law and as the director of the Indian Residential School History and Dialogue Centre.

A CBC report entitled "Disputed History," published in October of 2022, scrutinized Turpel-Lafond's claim of Indigeneity and some of her academic achievements.

CTV News reached out to Turpel-Lafond but has not received a response.

In that same article, she does have some support which surprises me a bit:

In response, the Union of BC Indian Chiefs came out in support of the former judge, saying her integrity was "beyond reproach." A statement went on to say, in part, "Issues of First Nations identity and community membership are for Indigenous peoples, families, and governments to sort through based on their own laws, customs, and traditions."

Also in response, the Chief of the Muskeg Lake Cree Nation confirmed she is a member of that nation based on her kinship. The statement didn't specifically support a claim that she was born on a reserve or to an Indigenous father.

So, maybe a philosophical question here, if a Nation says that she is a member of that nation, then is she a Pretendian?

In that same article, she does have some support which surprises me a bit:

So, maybe a philosophical question here, if a Nation says that she is a member of that nation, then is she a Pretendian?

'Citizenship' of first nations is an interesting thing. On the formal legal side, there's membership of a band as determined under the Indian Act, which has various legal ramifications. Separately, there's increasing discourse on the self-determined rules about citizenship among individual First Nations. As more First Nations assert greater self determination and exercise rights to legislate within their own arcs, this could become increasingly important. Some FNs do have adoption citizenship that allow them to bring in new citizens of their FN without someone necessarily having to have blood relationship. It's not used much, but there's nothing illegitimate about it.

So there's a reading from my last course I never actually thought I'd be referencing again, lol.

I listened to a podcast a while ago and the podcaster said "a Celt is anyone who considers themselves to be a Celt".

Can it not be the same for Indigineous? :devilish:

The ante is upped....

Rescind Turpel-Lafond's honorary degrees or we'll return ours, say high-profile Indigenous women​

Academic integrity expert says Turpel-Lafond story is a ‘watershed moment for Canadian higher education’​

Take that, foul pretendian!

Mary Ellen Turpel-Lafond removed from Order of Canada after Indigenous identity questioned​

Definitely a crime deserving of punishment. However, I wonder what her punishment would be if she had been convicted of carjacking or if she had used a weapon to commit a robbery?

Definitely a crime deserving of punishment. However, I wonder what her punishment would be if she had been convicted of carjacking or if she had used a weapon to commit a robbery?
first offense: six months, certainly less than 2 years putting her in a provincial facility. 3 years puts her in a federal pen.

I waffled between this section or Radio Chatter, but it does touch on territorial policy so I put it here.
I have an Inuit friend and she has enough struggles qualify for benefits. So this lady deserves to rot in jail for this. I hope this sends a message. Buffy Sainte Marie, in prison next?

first offense: six months, certainly less than 2 years putting her in a provincial facility. 3 years puts her in a federal pen.
Which means she gets out sooner then 2 years less a day and staying provincial.

I disagree with people committing fraud and pretending to be someone they are not for benefits.

That being said I don’t think being a certain race should have any effect on what benefits or rights you have. The whole race based blood quantum garbage is so 1800’s.

I disagree with people committing fraud and pretending to be someone they are not for benefits.

That being said I don’t think being a certain race should have any effect on what benefits or rights you have. The whole race based blood quantum garbage is so 1800’s.
That means you must honestly believe that the Indigenous Peoples do not deserve a distinct group of benefits.

Maybe you should try and think about what has been done to their race by every Canadian Government which has ever been elected to run this nation.

The original plan was basically genocide. When they realized that wasn't achievable, the government focus shifted to killing the separate and individual Indigenous cultures. Many truly evil techniques were employed, in an attempt to achieve their plan...

The most disgusting plan they cooked up, was to remove the next generation, and placing them in full-time residential schools, where they would not learn about themselves or their people's culture and traditions, but instead, be beaten, raped and murdered. This blatantly inhuman, and downright criminal system ran from 1831, until 19-fucking-96. 165 fucking years.

I could go on writing for days about the other methods the government employed, such as relocating groups of Indigenous to extremely remote northern areas, despite the fact the people they relocated had zero experience in high north survival. Flew them there, dropped them off with some building and hunting supplies, said "good fucking luck", and basically abandoned them there. This plan was double-pronged. If they died, all the better. If they lived, they would help the government maintain sovereignty over that section of the north. When it became evident the relocated groups would, in fact, survive, the government flooded their communities with alcohol, knowing the hardship and chaos such a move would bring.

As I said, I could go on and on, but I'm sure you've heard all the stories... You just don't seem to give a flying fuck.

The separation of children from their families didn't stop with the closure of the last residential schools. The government simply diverted the task, by giving legal kidnapping rights to the various provincial Child Protection Service agencies to remove newborn babies, basically in the delivery room, if the mother has any history of substance abuse. Every baby taken, is one less who will learn their culture, and one less "savage" for the government to unnecessarily concern themselves with.

The various methods used by the Canadian Government, over the past two centuries plus, are directly and exclusively responsible for the current state of the Indigenous population. As white people, we have no one else to blame but our predecessors. When their grand plan of killing off an entire race within the country didn't pan out, they flailed, and strung together a multi-century collection of inhuman, ad-hoc measures which slowly destroyed the Indigenous People's traditional way of life, their autonomy as a people, their belief in themselves, the manner in which they were perceived by other races, their ability to live normal, sober lives, their mental health on a generational scale, the intense pride they once possessed, their ability to provide for themselves and their families, and on and on.

Every Canadian Government which has ever existed, has played a role in the destruction of the Indigenous Peoples. People who started out as a race of intensely proud warriors, and highly-skilled, self-sufficient hunter/gatherers. Following centuries of endless criminal actions, and negative interference, however, they are understandably a broken, defeated and almost completely reliant people.

WE DID THAT. THE INDIGENOUS PEOPLES ARE IN NO WAY RESPONSIBLE FOR THEIR CURRENT STATE. WE ARE.

Try and think about that, the next time you feel like fucking spouting off about a certain race receiving benefits others do not. That was completely by design, and exactly the way the government both wanted, and still wants it.

Got a fucking problem with the situation? Blame the fucking people who are actually responsible, instead of letting your bullshit racist biases do the talking.

That means you must honestly believe that the Indigenous Peoples do not deserve a distinct group of benefits.
The current system isn't doing them any favors. They're caught in a continuous abuse&victim cycle. Benefits aren't doing shit. If anything it's making their culture and lives worse.

Time to get rid of distinct benefits and help indigenous Canadians become prosperous.

Back