• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Improved Combat Uniform

I see they are still going ahead with the 2x large Canadian flags on the uniform.

1 large flag,  sure;  but two looks a bit weird IMO.

Any word on when these are supposed to start hitting the stock shelves? My combats aren't going to last much longer.

-Skeletor- said:
I see they are still going ahead with the 2x large Canadian flags on the uniform.

1 large flag,  sure;  but two looks a bit weird IMO.

I think it'd be really cool if they decided to switch out one of the flags with a unit patch... God forbid you instil a little pride in your units.

Matt_Fisher said:
And have 24-36 month lead times with Crye, only to have the uniforms fall apart once they start being used in the field?
http://kitup.military.com/2011/08/marsoc-crye-uniforms-not-holding-up.html
http://kitup.military.com/2011/09/aussies-facing-same-pant-problems.html

That was a while back, i thought that they had resolved the issues?

I really want to see Arc'teryx doing something for us...

Snaketnk said:
I think it'd be really cool if they decided to switch out one of the flags with a unit patch... God forbid you instil a little pride in your units.
I've heard of some Reserve units having patches made up and worn in the field,  might be as close as anyone gets in regards to unit patches - for awhile anyways.

signalsguy said:

Probably going too have to get into CANSOF too use Arc'teryx.

-Skeletor- said:
I've heard of some Reserve units having patches made up and worn in the field,  might be as close as anyone gets in regards to unit patches - for awhile anyways.

I suspect that was ruled to have gotten a bit out of hand... It's faded in my area, and in my unit's (overall pretty reasonable) operational dress standards morale patches are one of the things that are unequivocally verboten.

Snaketnk said:
I think it'd be really cool if they decided to switch out one of the flags with a unit patch...
It is the right spot for a Bde patch.

signalsguy said:
That was a while back, i thought that they had resolved the issues?

Arc'teryx was approached by the Clothe The Soldier project on several occasions to do R&D projects for load carriage (and possibly clothing), but DND wanted to own all the intellectual property and designs that Arc'teryx would be developing.  As such, Arc'teryx declined as they didn't want to have their designs (i.e. hip belt foam lamination schematics, pattern grading, etc.) and technical data packages in the public domain (i.e. MERX) where their competitors could access them.

Let's say if the CFs could buy commercial off the shelf clothing from a manufacturer like Arc'teryx, where is the CF going to get the money to pay for Arc'teryx type clothing and equipment for the 'green Army' given that Arc'teryx stuff is premium because they use industry leading materials and construction techniques because it's part of their brand positioning to be the most expensive stuff out there.

'Perfect is the enemy of Good Enough' - Voltaire

As Skeletor mentioned, if you want to be issued Arc'teryx, go for CANSOFCOM selection.

Cheers,

Matt

Matt_Fisher said:
And where is the CF going to get the money to pay for Arc'teryx type clothing and equipment for the 'green Army'?

As Skeletor mentioned, if you want to be issued Arc'teryx, go for CANSOFCOM selection.

Cheers,

Matt

They could see uniforming woes and want to do good and OFFER something to the CF out of the goodness of their heart, ya know.  :sarcasm:

In reading some of these postings I see talk about a new uniform for the Navy?  It's been floating around that we are getting away from the black pants and blue shirts and going to new CATPAT style uniforms.  I have looked online ( google ) and have found many references to the Armys new uniforms but as of yet have not been able to for curiousity sake verify the issue of new uniforms for Navy side.  Can anyone comment?

chadk said:
In reading some of these postings I see talk about a new uniform for the Navy?  It's been floating around that we are getting away from the black pants and blue shirts and going to new CATPAT style uniforms.  I have looked online ( google ) and have found many references to the Armys new uniforms but as of yet have not been able to for curiousity sake verify the issue of new uniforms for Navy side.  Can anyone comment?

Information on the Navy uniform can be seen here:
http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/79706.0.html

Matt_Fisher said:
Arc'teryx was approached by the Clothe The Soldier project on several occasions to do R&D projects for load carriage (and possibly clothing), but DND wanted to own all the intellectual property and designs that Arc'teryx would be developing.  As such, Arc'teryx declined as they didn't want to have their designs (i.e. hip belt foam lamination schematics, pattern grading, etc.) and technical data packages in the public domain (i.e. MERX) where their competitors could access them.

Let's say if the CFs could buy commercial off the shelf clothing from a manufacturer like Arc'teryx, where is the CF going to get the money to pay for Arc'teryx type clothing and equipment for the 'green Army' given that Arc'teryx stuff is premium because they use industry leading materials and construction techniques because it's part of their brand positioning to be the most expensive stuff out there.

'Perfect is the enemy of Good Enough' - Voltaire

Cheers,

Matt
Fair enough, however I'm inclined to think the money spent on the CTS ruck project as a whole could have easily covered the cost of an off the shelf Arc'teryx buy.

DirtyDog said:
Fair enough, however I'm inclined to think the money spent on the CTS ruck project as a whole could have easily covered the cost of an off the shelf Arc'teryx buy.

Are you saying we should have gone with an Arc'teryx ruck? 

The USMC went with an Arc'teryx designed(?) ruck,  reading the comments/reviews it seems like it was a poor choice and is currently being replaced.

The Corps has sought to replace the ILBE for more than a year after grunts graded it “completely unacceptable” in a recent survey. They said it doesn’t fit well on top of body armor and causes chaffing and pain in the back, knees and shoulders.
http://marinecorpstimes.com/news/2010/12/marine-ILBE-pack-replacement-120810w/

Thats the problem with name dropping, see: GP boots. Troops wanted Vibram soles, they got heavy vibram soles on heavier boots.

ILBE was designed by Arc'teryx but manufactured by Propper. From what I've seen and read it is using an alpine style suspension, not optimized for armour wear. You'd have to get a hold of the SOR or equivalent to see what the USMC asked for and see if thats what they got.

The Army is going to be doing their own pack replacement project in the near future, unless the funding is axed. Its part of the Soldier System project, they are calling it the Modular Pack System.

http://www.materiel.forces.gc.ca/en/ss-dbwd.page

The LOI went out last year, its discussed here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106157.0

signalsguy said:
ILBE was designed by Arc'teryx but manufactured by Propper. From what I've seen and read it is using an alpine style suspension, not optimized for armour wear. You'd have to get a hold of the SOR or equivalent to see what the USMC asked for and see if thats what they got.

The Army is going to be doing their own pack replacement project in the near future, unless the funding is axed. Its part of the Soldier System project, they are calling it the Modular Pack System.

http://www.materiel.forces.gc.ca/en/ss-dbwd.page

The LOI went out last year, its discussed here: http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/106157.0

I see they are also looking for new body armour, maybe this time, the two groups can talk to each other and make sure they are compatible with each other.

Hatchet Man said:
maybe this time, the two groups can talk to each other and make sure they are compatible with each other.

Silly goose, been sipping antifreeze or something? ;D

Hatchet Man said:
I see they are also looking for new body armour, maybe this time, the two groups can talk to each other and make sure they are compatible with each other.

Are you talking about the CFs or the USMC looking for new body armour?

Back