• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

"Imperial Grunts" by Robert Kaplan

a_majoor

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
This month's edition of Atlantic monthly has a new piece by Robert Kaplan titled "Imperial Grunts". The piece focus is on the work of American special Forces in the Philippines and Afghanistan, two of the less reported fronts in WW IV. Old principles are being rediscovered and applied (the Americans are even operating out of some of their old bases established during the Moro Insurgency in the 1890s!).

Kaplan's thesis is that the major impediments to success is the "Big Army" mindset, coupled with the inability of the host governments to follow up on the work of SF "A" teams and Kellogg, Root and Brown. This is also the lesson of the "Banana Wars", since once the Marines left, the local elites ignored infrastructure and organizations (see Max Boot, the "Savage Wars of Peace").

Kaplan's answer, supported by examples, is that local commanders need to be autonomous players, rather than the close coupled, micro managed organization that modern communications allow. This is somewhat in opposition to the requirement for local commanders to be able to access high quality information outside of what they generate themselves. The problem of local governments seems more intractable.

"Imperial Grunts" is set to become a book (released later this month), but the magazine article is a good introduction, and well worth reading.

Nice.  Kaplan is a pretty good author.  He was on the ground in Afghanistan when most in the West were still trying to place it on a map.

Two excellent reviews from Amazon.com on this book here: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/1400061326/ref=pd_sim_b_5/104-4439389-3265524?%5Fencoding=UTF8&v=glance

Kaplan excels in describing the here and now, especially from unexplored or unexpected places, but as one review points out, he is less clear in his analysis of these actions. Part of the problem is there really isn't a coherent whole, so the reason parts of the story don't seem to fit together is because while they work in isolation (a LCol in Mongolia working to prepare for the day Mongolia can provide troops to some future "Alliance of the willing"), they really aren't part of some coherent, central planning vision of the world.

This should be a fascinating read.

Always more about Kaplan here:

http://www.cominganarchy.com/archives/2005/09/28/a-gracious-meeting/

No trooper ever gets to heck
Ere he's emptied his canteen,
And so rides back to drink again
With friends at Fiddlers' Green.

Its funny how things come together sometimes.   A couple of weeks ago I was visiting Fort Knox and I slipped out of the official function for a moment to check out Fiddler's Green.   This is the relaxed bar at the Ft Knox Leaders Club where I spent many a Friday night several years ago.   The lines above are taken from a poem hung in the bar and from which the place takes its name.   It harkens to the time when the US Cavalry was fighting the battles against the various Indian tribes in the West.

I was also reading Keegan's Six Armies in Normandy, which briefly descibes Leavenworth Kansas as one of the US Army's shrines due to its connection with the Indian Wars.   Reflecting on Keegan's book and my visit back to Knox, I was thinking on the plane back of how the US Army of today (and us) have a lot in common with those dusty cavalry troopers.   Now I've started reading Kaplan's book and he makes the link between what is going on now and the wars to settle the West circa 1870s.   It promises to be an interesting read.

I'll post back here when I finish the book.  

"And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean
And the hostiles come to get your scalp
Just empty your canteen
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddler's Green."

p.s. Upon reviewing,

That's interseting, the last word of the first line normally rhymes with bell, not beck.  Ah well, you get the picture.

There is a neat quote from the US Army Col in Mongolia about his time on the Canadian Land Forces Command and Staff Course at Kingston in the 80s.  He speaks of the "fiece warrior ethic" there and that "I get angry whenever someone belittles the Canadian military."

2B

After reflecting on the book for a week or so I will try to offer my thoughts.

The reader comes away with an appreciation of the global breadth of US military operations, some understanding of the various countries and theatres and, most importantly, a glimpse into the lives and operational experiences of US servicemen (almost all either Special Forces, Marines or officers) on the "frontier".  The author was granted access to several SF teams conducting operations and as a result the reader gets a view of that world up close.

I found the chapters on remote locations or relatively unreported regions very engaging (Phillipines, Columibia, Dijibouti, Yemen, Mongolia) and I came away with a much better understanding of those areas.  You get to know several officers and NCOs well through the author's travels and experiences with them.  The final chapter on the first battle at Fallujah was gripping.

Several themes through the book that caught my attention.  The first was the perceived negative influence of "big Army" on operations in small wars.  Another was the effect of large support bases in-theatre that drain resources.  Finally, the need for a balance between force protection and mission accomplishment is discussed several times.  These issues all involve trade-offs and are indeed ones that need to be considered (you need balance).

A good glimpse of life and operations on the "frontier" and I highly recommend the book.

WW IV ?  Did I miss WW III ?

Can someone enlighten me as to when this occurred, or is it a reference to the Cold War?

Excellent book. Had it three days, haven't had tons of time to read it but...excellent.

I'm on the chapter about the Phillipines. Talk more about it later.

If I ever get time to read this darn thing....

http://www.atimes.com/atimes/Front_Page/GJ04Aa01.html

BOOK REVIEW
Do you call that an empire?
Imperial Grunts by Robert Kaplan
Buy this book

Reviewed by Spengler

Robert Kaplan of the Atlantic Monthly longs to be the American Rudyard Kipling, the chronicler of the intrepid subalterns and leathery sergeants who save the empire through pluck and grit.

His latest volume reports two years of rough trekking with Special Forces and Marines from Colombia through the Middle East to the Philippines. But Kaplan's warriors less resemble Kipling's imperial soldiers than W S Gilbert's policemen in The Pirates of Penzance. When they sing, "Yes! Forward on the Foe!", the major-general exclaims, "But Damme! You don't go!"

There is no American empire, because there are no imperialists. The working-class warriors of American light infantry and

commando units aver that no one in Washington has a clue about what is happening on the ground. Rather tales of derring-do, Kaplan has produced a litany of aborted missions, mixed signals and bureaucratic bungling. The American military, one concludes from his report, is spinning its wheels.

Save one aborted Marine sally into Fallujah, Kaplan heard not a single 5.56 millimeter round fired in anger. His Special Forces hosts train feckless Colombian or Philippine soldiers, knowing that they will sell their ammunition to the enemy to supplement a $2 per day income. They fix children's teeth and build schools to win hearts and minds, recover the bodies of downed pilots and try to gather intelligence from local services. They want to fight regardless of risk to life and limb, but the Pentagon will not let them.

Fine journalist that he is, Kaplan faithfully records the boredom and frustration of American forces abroad, and has brought forth a boring and frustrating book. Conspiracy theorists who imagine that America pulls puppet-strings throughout the world should be made to read it as punishment.

Kaplan quotes British historian Niall Ferguson to the effect that the "[American] empire is as much a reality today as it was throughout the three hundred years when Britain ruled, and made, the modern world". But Kaplan's anecdotes show that America is not an empire, but rather a Gulliverian giant lumbering about after Lilliputian antagonists.

To begin with, the 10,000 or so Special Forces in the US Army are the wrong sort of people: tattooed, tobacco-chewing, iron-pumping Southerners, clever at improvised repairs or minor surgery in the field, and deadly in firefights (although Kaplan never sees one), but without the cultural skills essential to their mission.

They complain incessantly about Washington's stupidity and risk aversion, but humbly accept their orders because they are humble people: the working and lower middle classes of America. "I had not been particularly impressed with the linguistic skills of Green Berets," notes Kaplan. "The United States was more than two years into the war on terrorism. Pashtu should have become a common language by now among the Green Berets assigned to Afghanistan. But with few exceptions, even the counterintelligence officers I met barely spoke the language. The situation was no better in the Pacific; almost everyone I encountered in 1st Group knew some Oriental language or other, but rarely the one needed in the country where he was currently deployed."

One wants to say, paraphrasing Mick (Crocodile) Dundee, "You call that an empire? This is an empire!" I refer of course to the British Empire, which for better or worse has no successor. One example (noted by Sir John Keegan in his 2003 study Intelligence in War) will suffice. No more than 3,000 British officers served in Imperial India at any given time, but they "wore a version of native dress, spoke Indian languages and prided themselves on their immersion in the customs and culture of their soldiers".

The Raj relied on soldier-adventurers such as Sir Richard Burton (1821-1890), who joined the army of the East India Company after his expulsion from Oxford. Burton learned 25 languages and an additional 15 dialects, traveling extensively in South Asia, Africa, the Middle East and the American West. He passed for a Sindh on the Northwest Frontier and for a Haji in Mecca; his translations of Arabic and Sanskrit classics remain in print. T E Lawrence ("of Arabia") earned a first in Medieval Studies at Oxford, and spent years in archaeological excavations in Syria prior to his service in World War I.

Soldier-scholars of this quality cannot be found in the United States - Yale University had one undergraduate reading Middle Eastern languages last year - let alone in the US military. Part of the reason for this lacuna is cultural, as I argued in Why America is losing the intelligence war (Asia Times Online, November 11, 2003). Immigrants came to America precisely in order to flee the tragic destiny of the cultures they abandoned, and the second generation almost invariably forgets the language of its forefathers. Of the pitifully small percentage of Americans who learn the languages of countries in which their country's strategic interests lie, an infinitesimal portion might choose the military as a career.

Therein lies the great difference between America's global police exercise and a true empire. Cultural insularity forms only part of the explanation for America's maladroitness. The other explanation is money. The main object of empire is to loot the colonies and get rich quick. Between 1760, when Robert Clive drove the French from India, and 1780, nearly 300 returning East India Company servants bought their way into England's landed gentry. The high aristocracy swelled with the ranks of West Indian planters and East Indian nabobs (governors) during the 19th century. [1]

A likely lad from a middle-class family with a bit of education and some social connections would choose imperial service as the fastest route to wealth or prestige. Where there is a great deal of wealth, there is also prestige. Men like Burton or Lawrence made their reputation as soldiers and writers rather than as traders, but the imperial flow of wealth underwrote the career choices of the British elite.

The flow of wealth from the empire was the pillar on which Britain's economy stood, funding Britain's growing net creditor position with the rest of the world. As Amiya Kumar Bachi wrote in the Economic and Political Weekly of June 8, 2002:
The export surplus accruing to Europeans from trade and production in British India goes up annually from more than 25 million [pounds] in the 1870s to more than 50 million in the 1910s. If we compare these figures with those of British foreign investment estimated by Imlah (1958: 70-75), we find that they formed more than half of such investment flows (in fact they exceeded them in some years) up to the 1890s and a very substantial fraction still of British foreign investment in the peak years before the first world war. [2]
Exports of Indian opium alone averaged 12 million pounds a year between 1884 and 1894, a not inconsiderable contribution to British wealth, at the expense of untold misery in China and other parts of Asia plagued by drug addiction.

There is of course another side to the British Empire, without which India would not today exist as a nation with a common language, namely English. Lawrence James recounts the "white man's burden" aspect of the empire in his Rise and Fall of the British Empire [3], for those who wish to read an apology. Doubtless some parts of the empire were better off under British rule than they are under independence, but India surely is not one of them. The British bought gifts: centralized administration, public works and order, but they were dreadfully expensive.

Americans have no empire, and therefore nothing whence to extract wealth. To the extent America might be said to have an imperial back garden it is South America, whose economic relations with America are of trivial importance. America buys oil from the Middle East, enriching the locals, but its oil companies do not make a thousandth of the scale of profits that imperial traders made in South Asia a century ago.

China forms America's most important foreign economic relationship, accounting for a quarter of its payments deficit, but I do not know anyone who characterizes that relationship as imperial. The Chinese are their own masters, and the trade relationship benefits both sides.

Britain's empire created wealth for the British, expressed as a net creditor position with respect to the rest of the world, as Dr Bachi observes above. America is falling into a net debtor position, above all with China. That is the opposite of an imperial profile.

Ambitious Americans do not head for the oilfields of the Persian Gulf or the emerald mines of Colombia, but to the business or computer science faculties of leading universities. The great fortunes of recent years stem not from overseas trade but from technological fads, mergers and acquisitions, or entertainment. That explains why America's elite has little interest in what Robert Kaplan wrongly imagines to be a nascent empire.

Even if Yale or Harvard produced the likes of a young Richard Burton, the army would not get them. As Kaplan observes:
The American military, especially the Non-Commissioned Officers, who were the guardians of its culture and traditions, constituted a world of beer, cigarettes, instant coffee and chewing tobaccos, like Copenhagen and Red Man. It was composed of people who hunted [ie, stalked], drove pickups, employed profanities as a matter of dialect, and yet had a literal, demonstrable belief in the Almighty.
Kaplan makes much of the military romance of the South, where nostalgia for the Civil War remains strong. There is a lesson here. The dream of a slave empire stretching from the Mason-Dixon line down through Tierra del Fuego inspired the meanest private in the Confederate Army (Happy birthday, Abe: Pass the blood, Asia Times Online, February 10, 2004).

The Southern rebels intended to grab Cuba and ally with the French army that invaded Mexico in 1863. Poor Southerners defended the rights of the minority of rich Southern slaveholders because they, too, wished to obtain land and slaves. That, I have argued in the past, explains why the Confederacy sustained the highest rate of casualties - nearly 40% - in any modern war. Men will fight to the death for the chance to raise their station in life.

Something of the old imperial urge percolates in the resentful culture of the American South, and that may explain why so many of America's military adventurers hail from the lands of the old Confederacy. But they are of the type of Peachy Carnahan rather than Kim. Rather than retire to an estate in Wiltshire, they will buy a motor home. One might say: that is the way the empire ends, not with a bang, but a Winnebago.

"And so when man and horse go down
Beneath a saber keen
Or in a roaring charge of fierce melee
You stop a bullet clean
And the hostiles come to get your scalp
Just empty your canteen
And put your pistol to your head
And go to Fiddler's Green."

I've read this somewhere before, only it went something like:

"When you're broken and bleeding
on Afghanistan's plains,
and the women come out
to cut up what remains,
then crawl to your rifle
and blow out your brains,
and go to your Gawd like a soldier."

Or something like that.

I had a hard time with the "empire" concept.  I see America as a hegemon, but not necessarily an empire.  Its soldiers are abroad for a variety of reasons, and I would not say that they are creating or policing an empire. 

Kat,

I think that the Afghan verse might be Kipling.  The "Fidder's Green" piece is somewhat "Kiplingesque."  Pretty much the same idea!

2B

I was being facetious (big word for today), forgot to do this.. ;D

"When you're broken and bleeding
on Afghanistan's plains,
and the women come out
to cut up what remains,
then crawl to your rifle
and blow out your brains,
and go to your Gawd like a soldier."

That is by Kipling.

Just found the whole peom:

The Young British Soldier

When the 'arf-made recruity goes out to the East
'E acts like a babe an' 'e drinks like a beast,
An' 'e wonders because 'e is frequent deceased
Ere 'e's fit for to serve as a soldier.
      Serve, serve, serve as a soldier,
        So-oldier _of_ the Queen!

Now all you recruities what's drafted to-day,
You shut up your rag-box an' 'ark to my lay,
An' I'll sing you a soldier as far as I may:
A soldier what's fit for a soldier.
      Fit, fit, fit for a soldier . . .

First mind you steer clear o' the grog-sellers' huts,
For they sell you Fixed Bay'nets that rots out your guts --
Ay, drink that 'ud eat the live steel from your butts --
An' it's bad for the young British soldier.
      Bad, bad, bad for the soldier . . .

When the cholera comes -- as it will past a doubt --
Keep out of the wet and don't go on the shout,
For the sickness gets in as the liquor dies out,
A' it crumples the young British soldier.
      Crum-, crum-, crumples the soldier . . .

But the worst o' your foes is the sun over'ead:
You must wear your 'elmet for all that is said:
If 'e finds you uncovered 'e'll knock you down dead,
An' you'll die like a fool of a soldier.
      Fool, fool, fool of a soldier . . .

If you're cast for fatigue by a sergeant unkind,
Don't grouse like a woman nor crack on nor blind;
Be handy and civil, and then you will find
That it's beer for the young British soldier.
      Beer, beer, beer for the soldier . . .

Now, if you must marry, take care she is old --
A troop-sergeant's widow's the nicest I'm told,
For beauty won't help if your rations is cold,
Nor love ain't enough for a soldier.
      'Nough, 'nough, 'nough for a soldier . . .

If the wife should go wrong with a comrade, be loath
To shoot when you catch 'em -- you'll swing, on my oath! --
Make 'im take 'er and keep 'er:  that's Hell for them both,
An' you're shut o' the curse of a soldier.
      Curse, curse, curse of a soldier . . .

When first under fire an' you're wishful to duck,
Don't look nor take 'eed at the man that is struck,
Be thankful you're livin', and trust to your luck
And march to your front like a soldier.
      Front, front, front like a soldier . . .

When 'arf of your bullets fly wide in the ditch,
Don't call your Martini a cross-eyed old bitch;
She's human as you are -- you treat her as sich,
An' she'll fight for the young British soldier.
      Fight, fight, fight for the soldier . . .

When shakin' their bustles like ladies so fine,
The guns o' the enemy wheel into line,
Shoot low at the limbers an' don't mind the shine,
For noise never startles the soldier.
      Start-, start-, startles the soldier . . .

If your officer's dead and the sergeants look white,
Remember it's ruin to run from a fight:
So take open order, lie down, and sit tight,
And wait for supports like a soldier.
      Wait, wait, wait like a soldier . . .

When you're wounded and left on Afghanistan's plains,
And the women come out to cut up what remains,
Jest roll to your rifle and blow out your brains
An' go to your Gawd like a soldier.
      Go, go, go like a soldier,
        So-oldier _of_ the Queen!

-- Rudyard Kipling

I'm in the Military Book Club and forgot to reply to my little card thing last month.  This book is coming to me now, and not disappointed it is after having read these accounts.  I own another book about Special Forces from Panama to Kuwait to Afghanistan to Iraq . . . title escapes me now, but 'Chaos' is in the title, I think.  Anyway, good book and the 'big army' concept is in there as well.  Reminds me of an article that talked about how Spec Forces were getting annoyed with 82nd Airborne troops kicking in doors and frightening the locals undoing the allegiances created by simple talking in the native tongue and having some tea.  Makes you wonder why the brass still look down on the Special Forces if the work they do has been so effective?

Back