• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

ICE Combat Jacket - Front Lower Pockets/Straps and rear velcro?

Bzzliteyr said:
As for the drawstring elastic.. it comes in handy when you have the ICE on and are seated in any armoured vehicle.. I remember when the first guy at WTP (in Gagetown)figured it out while on the tanks.. made us so happy...

IIRC that it was put on there primarily for jumpers.

Regards

Recce By Death said:
IIRC that it was put on there primarily for jumpers.

Regards

You recall correctly, the "user instructions" from the Tease Clothe the Soldier project shows:

Use the elastic at lower back edge of parka to prevent billowing when parachuting or in windy conditions by pulling the elastic loop through the legs and attaching to front lower button

Use the elastic at lower back edge of parka to prevent billowing when parachuting or in windy conditions by pulling the elastic loop through the legs and attaching to front lower button

I can only think that that is a holdover from the old smock that has the six button "diaper" sewn into it for the same reason.

At first blush, it would seem like a good idea, but for jumping, you have enough straps holding your jacket down - I've never had a problem - although, as mover said, I have had helos blow snow up my jacket - so they may have a use in that respect!

It's good to see that they added some improvements to the older OD green jacket (flaps on the zippers, fleece handwarmers, the drawstring thing...), but the one thing that buge me most about it is the jacket lining. I would think that for a Gore-Tex having a non-breathable jacket lining kind of silly. A mesh lining would have been smarter (like the 'new' rain jacket). As it is now, the lining absorbs tons of moisture.

:dontpanic:

On the point of "GORETEX", if it doesn't distinctly have a label stating it is Goretex, it isn't.  It is a strictly enforced copyright.

Good point, however when I got the jacket I could have sworn that the tag it came with had the Gore-Tex logo on it.

Can any supply techs out there confirm this?

Heh heh, I'm looking at that very thing...it's on the CTS website.

Hey, cdnaviator, does the tag have a little picture of a penny-farthing bicycle on it.....nevermind.... ::)

cdnaviator said:
mine has a tag that says "inspected by #5"

I wonder how much Inspector #5 makes in a year.  Seems like everything is inspected by #5

George Wallace said:
I wonder how much Inspector #5 makes in a year.  Seems like everything is inspected by #5

Thats MY retirement job Wallace....piss off !!

;D

Bzzliteyr said:
Bu thtta''s my point.. we are so "I never did it that way so you can't" these days that it seems silly sometime.  There are perfectly good pockets to keep your hands warm in the ICE but we insist on not using them??  I think the 265 should be revised to address the problem, hands in pockets while stationary okay, but not in movement maybe?  I am no RSM but I am sure there are some out there that could put there opinions in on the matter.

Roto 13 I asked the MNB RSM about this very thing and his words to me were "That's why they put'em there. Just don't walk around using them..and get a haircut."

Now in VK (AKA the place fun and common sense forgot) I'd never think of doing it but in Sin City AKA Banja Luka fill your boots..or pockets.

Half of the stuff in our jackets/cadpat ist verboten anyways.

I would like to have a video camera for the reaction of the QMSI/RSM if I walked into my unit lines with;

My hood on my jacket up,
Hands in my handy fleece pockets,
Bottom string tied between my legs to my front button,
The strings in the cbt pants used to blouse them, as opposed to boot bands,
My boots blackened, but not shone,
My beret with the liner in, nine inches too big, fold hanging down to my chin, with an un-shone, anodized cap badge!

Getting off light would entail a weekend on the duty desk!  ;D

It seems to be a SOP in Valcartier to have your hood out, no one blinks an eye there.. odd

GO!!! said:
Half of the stuff in our jackets/cadpat ist verboten anyways.

I would like to have a video camera for the reaction of the QMSI/RSM if I walked into my unit lines with;

My hood on my jacket up,
Hands in my handy fleece pockets,
Bottom string tied between my legs to my front button,
The strings in the cbt pants used to blouse them, as opposed to boot bands,
My boots blackened, but not shone,
My beret with the liner in, nine inches too big, fold hanging down to my chin, with an un-shone, anodized cap badge!

Getting off light would entail a weekend on the duty desk!  ;D

GO!!!  Yeah, half the stiff's verboten since the ICE is a converged CTS/Air Force design (mover's fleece pockets, hoodie, ear defender straps, etc...) 

slightly O/T, what's the deal with the sand traps, I took mine out for the tour, then sewed them back in before I returned my AR kit.  If I actually tried to blouse my pants with the traps in the boots, there was only about 2" between the boot top and where the trap is sewn to the leg, and I looked like I had two hovercrafts around my ankles!  ???

G2G

The ICE is very breathable, under the arms there are zippers that allow air to be circulated all around the jacket, on both layers.  However again, I could only imagine the reaction the RSM would have if someone raised their arm and he could see that they weren't zipped up!

Good2Golf said:
slightly O/T, what's the deal with the sand traps, I took mine out for the tour, then sewed them back in before I returned my AR kit.  If I actually tried to blouse my pants with the traps in the boots, there was only about 2" between the boot top and where the trap is sewn to the leg, and I looked like I had two hovercrafts around my ankles!  ???

The sand traps I won't argue with. I get my pants 2" longer than they should be, so the traps go right to the bottom of my foot, that way they don't pull out when running/jumping/climbing over things. I used to do what you describe, but I only marched for an hour with a boot full of WATC once!

Additionally, if you put your cigs in a zip-lock bag, you can hide them under your blouse in your pants, so they don't get soaked with sweat on your chest - just as the designers intended!  :D

who knows, some day we may get pockets on the lower leg, like the pilots, so we can have access to maps, cigs, FMP when seated in vehicle & wearing FFO.  Nice to have all those pockets - nicer still to have access to them.

(off topic - did an experiment years ago: put match books in every single pocket of my Combat shirt, pants, fleece, parka, etc.......... by the end of day 2, they were nowhere to be found..... when I got home, they had all found their way to the same pocket... "magic")

Link said:
The ICE is very breathable, under the arms there are zippers that allow air to be circulated all around the jacket, on both layers.  However again, I could only imagine the reaction the RSM would have if someone raised their arm and he could see that they weren't zipped up!

I'm not sure if we would have a problem with that in my unit as I've always been told you are allowed to vent to cool down if necessary

One of mine has been opened for the better part of 6 months because it's been torn opened and I can't get it replaced!

Mind you a new troop can go in and get a cadpat jacket to replace his OD green one no problem whatsoever.      ::)

/rant

Regards

Back