• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

IAP/BOTC combined course...?

yoon

Inactive
Reaction score
So... turns out, starting the summer of 07, the IAP/BOTC is now going to be done on the same summer...

Pros: get it over with faster, apparently "better" field excercises...
Cons: too long of a time spent at St.Jean at once...

If anybody heard anything else about this change, let me know.

Wow, haha that pretty much means no time for home in the summer then eh? And then how does SLT work out? I'm trying to learn it while I'm here at school, but I doubt I'll be functional enough to pass the test before december.
But I haven't heard anything about this until now, from you. Where did you get this info?

I guess it might be good since a lot of us had our training deferred this year.

First of all, "BOTC" is the former name of what is now IAP & BOTP, combined.

IAP & BOTP are already run consecutively for DEO, and, back when I was going to RMC, they were run consecutively for them as well.  The exception was for most of the ROTP Civilian University students,  who had IAP one year, and BOTP the next.

Also, welcome to the military; its a full time job.  ROTP is built around the premise that the forces gets a qualified officer and a degreed officer at the end of 4 years.  (Doesn't always happen, but that is the goal).  Giving you time off like other university students is not a priority; your time off is your annual leave, just like any other soldier/officer gets in the forces.

Going through CFLRS this last summer on BOTP, we were told by the Standards Cell that IAP/BOTP is going back to one course. Just like it used to be.

Not IAP and BOTP back to back, but one course, all together. They were supposed to start running the new course in the fall to try their lesson plans/schedules out, and if all went well, start full bore with the "new" course in the new year.

I have no idea if this has happened yet, of course. No contacts there anymore.

Umm, well they are still running IAP and then BOTP.  Current IAP is over next week, with BOTP starting on 30 Oct, grad is 07 Dec 06.

And yep, its called IAP/BOTP still, with two distinct phases.  Even a small "grad parade" for IAP and the big one for BOTP.

And that..is all I know (about that anyways)  ;D.

MRM

MRM - Have you heard about the revised small party taskings that they will now be doing?

From spending the weekend with my Candidate friend, it appears small party is out, and its all about section taskings now; with blank firing, "actors", and larger, more dramatic situations (as presented to them by their course O).

Meridian said:
MRM - Have you heard about the revised small party taskings that they will now be doing?

From spending the weekend with my Candidate friend, it appears small party is out, and its all about section taskings now; with blank firing, "actors", and larger, more dramatic situations (as presented to them by their course O).

Yupper.  HLs and I talked about that a few times.  I think some of the students were not to happy and are feeling like that are "running before they walk" type thing...

WHAT?! I would've LOVED that on my BOTP2 lol yup that's whay my course was called...BOTP2 a fun fille 11 days in 'sunny' CFB Gagetown!!!

When I completed my IAP course one staff member mentioned that there would be small buildings put up in Farnham and instructors would evaluate the scenario on balconies up above. As well the tasks would be only 1/2 hour long instead of the 1.5 hr.  This was all he was able to tell me.

Well, maybe HLs will be able to get on and tell you exactly what it was like this weekend  ;D

They are in Week 8 now...last one really.  :)

Well until BOTP that is...but...thats another chapter in the book.

This is good news for me, I'll be able to get my IAP/BOTP in one shot, and then if I skip SLT (barring some freak accident where I loose all of my french) I'll be right back on track, having missed out on IAP last summer. Now I can do my MARS II the summer after, which will be a lot better than sitting around on an OJT to pass the summer away.

edit: how long will it be? 13 - 14 weeks?

Currently IAP is 9 weeks...BOTP is 6 weeks...15 total...

How will this effect people coming out of high school? I graduated last year and I sure didn't have 15 weeks between the end of school and the start of university.

How could this affect people who have already completed IAP but not BOTP? I have heard of one DEO friend of mine called back to redo IAP.

JesseWZ said:
How could this affect people who have already completed IAP but not BOTP? I have heard of one DEO friend of mine called back to redo IAP.
I'm guessing they'll run a BOTP course in the summer. The reason for your DEO friend redoing IAP (this is purely speculation) is probably that they wanted him to get trained as quick as possible and the quickest way for him to get his BOTP would be to do a combined course.

IAP and BOTP are still two separate courses in phase 1. They are run concurrently for DEOs;  ROTPs have had this concurrent stuff mangled over the years, sometime its done, sometimes it isn't. Back when I was in; half of the people had it concurrently (RMC), the other half not (Civvy U).

Since they are different courses, with different courseloads (even if they are scheduled concurrently), you can courseload anyone on to the BOTP portion (assuming there is room)....

This was asked but not answered: What about coming out of high school? I don't have 15 weeks from the end of high school till university.

You will probably do the IAP section but not the BOTP section of the course. Of course I can only speculate. I am sure there is someone posted to St Jean kicking around here somewhere that can answer ya.

Yeah, this has been kicked around the can so many times, I'm sure its changed since I was there... Or maybe changed back. Who knows.
Back then, it was IAP -ROTP 1st Year - BOTP - ROTP 2nd Year, if you were coming straight from HS.  The ROTP JRs did  minibasic - ROTP JR - IAP/BOTP - ROTP SR 1 - Phase II, etc

Back