• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

i need advice on joining the navy, i have many questions

raymond94

Inactive
Reaction score
Hi, my name is Raymond, I'm 19 and am considering joining the navy. I am a little stuck in my life, i play video games, go to work and smoke marijuana on occasion. I am a little bit lazy, but I'm in good shape

i have a few concerns about joining the Navy
-I'm worried i might not get along with people in the navy.
-I'm also a little nervous on the commitment time in the navy, i would be willing to do about 3-4 years in the navy and then i would like to join the VPD, but maybe the minimum commitment time is 5-6 years, which i wouldn't really be up for (I've looked around but haven't found this information)
-I'm not religious but I'm worried religion will be pushed on me, like I've heard the american military pushes Christianity
-I've also heard that Canada's military get 2 beers at dinner, is this true?
-Am i able to chose my profession in the navy or is it decided for me
-I live close to Vancouver so would i be posted in Vancouver or would they send me all the way to Halifax (away from my family)
-What are the shift like in the Navy, after my 3-6 months on my vessel will i get time off to visit my family in Kelowna

So far these are my questions but i may have more. I've been thinking about the navy for a while and am very interested in joining, however i feel as if i may not be cut out for the navy because of all my questions and concerns

thank you for your help
-Raymond

I've checked forces.ca and i couldn't find the answers to any of those questions, that is why i asked them, so maybe if you can tell me where to search for them that would be helpful

I'll answer what I can. The remainder can be found on these boards if you look for it.

raymond94 said:
-I'm worried i might not get along with people in the navy.

That's really more up to you than the Navy. The folks are as diverse as anywhere else, but military personnel in general seem to be more ready to make friend among their peers than in other work places.

raymond94 said:
-I'm also a little nervous on the commitment time in the navy, i would be willing to do about 3-4 years in the navy and then i would like to join the VPD, but maybe the minimum commitment time is 5-6 years, which i wouldn't really be up for (I've looked around but haven't found this information)
Your initial engagement will be from 3 to 6 years depending on your trade.

raymond94 said:
-I'm not religious but I'm worried religion will be pushed on me, like I've heard the american military pushes Christianity

There is no institutionalized religious component to the Navy. There will be times when ceremonial activities are conducted and have a religious component, ie: Remembrance Day, Battle of the Atlantic and similar events. On the whole, nothing to worry about.

raymond94 said:
-I've also heard that Canada's military get 2 beers at dinner, is this true?

No. More accurately, COs have the authority to provided "beer" for their personnel on occasion. There is a certain amount of administrative overhead they must go through to do so, so it's not done regularly. Suffice to say the "two beer per day per man" will be a rare occurrence.

raymond94 said:
-Am i able to chose my profession in the navy or is it decided for me

You will get to choose from up to three occupations. The CF will make an offer based on what you're suitable for and what's open.

raymond94 said:
-I live close to Vancouver so would i be posted in Vancouver or would they send me all the way to Halifax (away from my family)

Victoria is close to Vancouver the last time I checked.

raymond94 said:
-What are the shift like in the Navy, after my 3-6 months on my vessel will i get time off to visit my family in Kelowna

Impossible to answer at this time. Different units run different schedules depending on the work cycle. If your ship is alongside then you might be on straight days with duty watches thrown in. You should be able to get leave if you're not at sea. If you're at sea, then leave is not a question.

raymond94 said:
I smoke marijuana on occasion

If you want to join the Military and Police, stop smoking right now. Be honest about all drug use during the recruiting process.

raymond94 said:

There will be leave that you can take to leave the area, when you will be allowed to use it will depend on your unit schedule. For the first few years you will be entitled to 20 days of leave a year.  Any time off you get after sailing will depend on what the chain of command authorize or not.

Thanks so much for your help guys. You've really clearly answered my questions and i appreciate it

Back