• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I hate my vision

My vision is not to bad. I have -1.25 in my right eye and -1.75 in my left eye. What classification does that put me in? I'm still in the process of signing all the forms and getting my papers in order. Looking forward to joinging the military. My father was in for 25 years. After reading this thread i'm a little worried about my vision.

thanks

Well, when I joined in 1996 I was considered a V3 and I was -4.25 and -4.5. Hope that helps.

Because someone made a valid post, I think that's enough said.

i know this is a hard question to answer but how bad is V4 vision because I know my eyes arnt that good either and i'm getting worried that i cant go into the infantry with my vision.  :'(

The fine staff at your local CFRC can answer those questions better than anyone here (Almost) Truly, your best bet is to talk with the recruiters

Warm Coffee said:
My vision is not to bad. I have -1.25 in my right eye and -1.75 in my left eye. What classification does that put me in? I'm still in the process of signing all the forms and getting my papers in order. Looking forward to joinging the military. My father was in for 25 years. After reading this thread i'm a little worried about my vision.

thanks

That is pretty much my exact prescription, except I have slight (-0.77) astigmatism in my left eye. The eye exam I got for the forces form showed that my eyes had pretty much stabilized, only now wearing my glasses for months had caused one of my eyes to get slightly "better". I fell into the V3 vision category, but here's where it gets confusing; I read, from SOMEWHERE, that unless you were going into a trade that required V2 vision (such as air nav), were V1, or V4+, you were automatically classed as being V3. So even though you may be classed as being V3, you may actually be V2.

You should be fine - though of course you won't stop worrying until you sneak a peak at your medical category during your physical.

One day, I'd like to fly something (just like everyone else it seems - along with 'commando' and 'astronaut') so here's a little tip for those of you getting "shot down" by the laser eye surgury nay-sayers - there ARE western air forces that allow their pilot candidates to have laser eye surgury - just not Canada. Heck, some of them don't even require a degree. The problem seems to be that there is more to it than just vision - you need to do well on aptitude tests and have certain other specific "pilot qualities" - and don't forget the citizenship either.

Ex-Dragoon said:
For those of you that have had laser surgery done (I have V3) does it destroy your night vision like I hear it does?

I've heard the same thing...  I had my sugery 6 years ago now...  Quite honestly, my vision is better at night now than it was when I was wearing contacts/glasses.  I think it can occur, but is rare.  What seems to be most likely is light halos...  (Street lamps at night can have larger halos, etc.)  Case by case, I suppose, but it worked wonders for me.  :)

B.N.S.

The procedure has evolved in the last couple of years though - PRK used to be done by an actual knife wielding surgeon once, and now they don't even need to have any foreign objects touch the eye. I'd be interested in knowing statistics based on current procedures.

Seil said:
i know this is a hard question to answer but how bad is V4 vision because I know my eyes arnt that good either and i'm getting worried that i cant go into the infantry with my vision.   :'(

I had the same worries, then I went and got it done. I used to be a -2.5 and -3 in my eyes, then before I went for the test I went to see an eye doctor and they told me I had -3.5 in each eye. I was worried but trust me, there is nothing to worry about. I went in, could only see the E with both eyes, and she told me I had V3. The only way I could see you not getting in is if your eyes were something like -4.75 or something. Don't sweat it.

1. If you want to research laser eye surgery, make sure you check out more than just cost. Make sure the surgery is all-inclusive, and includes all your optometry exams, check-ups before and after the surgery, eyedrops and other materials afterwards etc..

2. For the surgeon, give a call to your provincial College of Physicians and Surgeons and ask them if the particular doctor is a member in good standing. Ask if they have had any history of malpractice, or anything of note on their file. Also, call the Better Business Bureau to inquire about the specific clinic offering the service. Ask if they're a member, and if there have been any complaints lodged, lawsuits filed etc..

3. Go to more than one surgeon. If one surgeon tells you that you aren't a good candidate for laser eye surgery, go with their advice. They're obviously not trying to make money off you, and a good surgeon would rather turn you away than risk doing damage to your vision. When you speak to them, ask them EVERY question that comes to mind, no matter how stupid or trivial you may think it is. Here: http://www.usaeyes.org/faq/tough_questions.htm is a good list of questions to ask your surgeon.

Great advice, combat_medic.  It's your eyes.  NOT something you want to trust to Dr. Nick (hi everybody!  Any surgery you want for 129.99!)

B.N.S.

Warm Coffee,
I believe you'd be a V3

for the rest ask what your rating is vs 6 meter distance (6/6 is meteric for 20/20)

From CFP154 (the med catagory reference book)
Grading       Uncorrected Vision                                                     Corrected Vision
                Better Eye Other Eye                                                 Better Eye Other Eye
V1
                6/6            6/9                                                          N/A              N/A
V2             6/18          6/18   OR                                                   6/6              6/9
                6/12          6/30
V3             6/120        6/120                                                        6/6              6/9
V4             N/A           N/A                                                           6/9              6/120

So if you are being rated below V3 by the recruiting center...GO GET YOU EYES RECHECKED on you own time and money and get new glasses prior to getting your medical done. As the diference between V3 and V4 is your corrected vision and the ability to be corrected to better then 6/9.

Further, while being V4 may exclude you from being cbt arms..most trades (and some great ones at that, like Med Tech  ;)) are rated as V4.

As mentioned earlier, do not dispair, young wanna-be, this may be a good thing....

Your glass may be half full.

Thanks for the useful information on this subject - and the whole forum really. I'm a "long-time listener - first-time caller".

I'm looking into the Nav Comm trade (277); my vision is quite bad - probably off the scale as far as the V ratings go. My left eye is at -6.5 and my left one is at -7.0 with an astigmatism (some of my baseball teammates call me 'Bubbles' :)). Will my poor eyesight affect my application? As bad as it is, I think I'm OK for Nav Comm but I'd like some feedback from those in the know.

Thanks.

jordan_o said:
I had the same worries, then I went and got it done. I used to be a -2.5 and -3 in my eyes, then before I went for the test I went to see an eye doctor and they told me I had -3.5 in each eye. I was worried but trust me, there is nothing to worry about. I went in, could only see the E with both eyes, and she told me I had V3. The only way I could see you not getting in is if your eyes were something like -4.75 or something. Don't sweat it.

I just had my eyes checked... back in August of this year, my optometrist said i am rated at -4.00 at each eye, but said I could get away with it at -3.75 from the previous year for 20/20, as she told me -4.00 is beyond 20/20 vision. I hope my eyes don't drastically worsen over a 10 year period from my current age of 16  :crybaby: Or I can't even get into the Combat trade.... I am on the edge of v3 to v4.

Laser correction isn't the only game in town.

Research Radial Keratotomy...higher diopters *can* get down to 6/6 (20/20).

As for pilots, the USN and USAF have now cleared RK patients as pilots...transports & tankers only for now.   But that's a big change from the, "Oh, not just no, but **** NO!" that once existed.   However, you've got to get in there first; post-surgery pilot candidates are not accepted.   But once you're in, if your eyes start to go south, you can get them fixed without your wings getting clipped.

Of course, the standard 'waivers' still apply, and depending on the flight surgeon who is reviewing the file, YMMV...

As far as pilots having laser-eye surgery, they do not, generally speaking, get LASIK. Instead they get PRK.

they both do the same. depends on the person and the shape of their eyes. with lasik, they cut a corneal flap and laser off sections of the cornea. PRK involves scraping of the cornea until the right shape is desired. It all depends on the patient. PRK requires more pain, and longer healing time, as there is no "flap" to cover the traumatized area. So i call bullshit on that. (had my eyes lasered, and this is what the surgeon told me)

Back