• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

I do not care for dogs, but I Love my Kid.

Hammer Sandwich

Inactive
Reaction score
So here's the deal.

I have always...ALWAYS....despised dogs.
I would never mistreat a dog, nor would I any other animal, but I really dislike dogs.
(I respect their style, but that's about it).

Long story short, the D9'er and I are about outta time for having kids.
Option: A dog.

(I will inform you now, the last interaction I had with a dog in our house was me calling home from BMQ PRes in Aldershot, hearing a dog in my house, and banging the telephone receiver against the payphone so hard, it became unserviceable...that's how much I f-ing hate dogs...)

But, being the Dad/Husband,  my personal opinion doesn't seem to carry much water....I know the ladies have decided, but I have some general questions that "The Googles" wouldn't satiate.
I'm hoping some "dog folks " will ease me through what looks to be a transition...

Some details:
-The dog is a boxer, female, ~3 yrs old, about 50 lbs, fixed, with "obediance" training since birth.
-Transferrable medical insurance (20% pay for owner, 80% billed to carrier).
-Follows hand/spoken orders, (will not breach a doorway until all humans have crossed first), sits down on "finger snap", (within earshot.)
-I still haven't met the animal, but my house stinks like the devil after it's been over.

Oh, and she's going FOR FREE. (No money at all due to the owner moving in a few months)

This is a lot of dog.....and mean looking (to my eyes).
Should I be worried about this animal attacking my little girl?

If any dog people have any input, I'd Love to hear it.

Dogs aren't much different than people in a lot of ways. Did the previous owners of this dog let it socialize with kids/other dogs/other animals? They might just have taken it to obedience school because they didn't properly exercise the dog and tend to it's needs and therefore it was disobedient (just like a human kid that isn't given the right care growing up), or they may have done all the right things.

It's got a lot to do with how the dog has been raised. Of course, if you take it in and show it a little love, obstacles left over by the previous owner can be overcome. If you take it in and don't give it the proper care and respect, good habits and behaviours gained from the previous owner might go down the drain.

The more time it spent growing up around kids, the more likely it will be comfortable having a litte girl around and picking at it. You would also do well to teach your little girl how to care for it and respect it. It will repay her the same favours.

Personally, I'd probably look to buy a puppy so I can ensure it's raised properly and it would grow up knowing your little girl is part of the pack and if anything would develop instincts to protect her (and the rest of your family), I'm just not into adopting pets and whatnot. It might be just as scary for the dog being in a new home with unfamiliar owners and not knowing where it's previous family have gone, as it is for you having "a big scary looking dog running around the house" all of a sudden. Both your family and the dog will need time to adjust and that's probably where any danger exists, the transition period.

EDIT: By the way, I think that's a gorgeous dog.

ballz said:
Both your family and the dog will need time to adjust and that's probably where any danger exists, the transition period.

Seen...
Unfortunately, The transition period has been going on for 2 weeks now.
The 9'er and the "Small Mallet", have now had the animal over for "playdates"....THRICE.

The animal listens and attends to the wee one's commands, including (but not limited to), the "finger-snap" sit command.

And, playdates are planned weekly until July (D-Day).

I just wish someone would tell me "a Boxer dog bit my family!!!!!"

Sh!t.....I'm gonna end up with a dog......aren't I?

Hammer Sandwich said:

Yup. :nod: But that can be a good thing as well. My baby has been a faithful companion for 13.5 years. It's all in how you interact and deal with them......Then again my kids (now parents of their own) will tell you I probably loved my dog more than them.....

When my wife and I bought our house, one of the stipulations was that we get a dog (something to keep her company since I work nights).  I had a lot of reservations about it (along the lines of "I'll have to walk it, and pick up after it, and they can be expensive").

We've had our golden for a year and a half now, and I couldn't imagine life without the big dope.  Most days I wake up and he's laying in the bed next to me with his head on the wife's pillow.  It's absolutely in how you treat them and how you deal with them, It makes all the difference in the world.  The playdates will definitely help with the interactions/socialization, that way when your home becomes her forever home, she's not coming into a new, unfamiliar environment.

Hammer Sandwich said:
Seen...
Unfortunately, The transition period has been going on for 2 weeks now.
The 9'er and the "Small Mallet", have now had the animal over for "playdates"....THRICE.

The animal listens and attends to the wee one's commands, including (but not limited to), the "finger-snap" sit command.

And, playdates are planned weekly until July (D-Day).

I just wish someone would tell me "a Boxer dog bit my family!!!!!"

That's not unfortunate at all, it's the right idea. Closer towards the move, I would suggest having the dog over for a full night at least a few times. 2 nights in a row eventually before the final move.

TK-421 said:
  I had a lot of reservations about it (along the lines of "I'll have to walk it, and pick up after it, and they can be expensive").

That's actually one of my big worries.....
I got out of bed for the baby, no worry about that, I just dont want to do it for a filthy dog......
I've been trying to impart that my fatass ain't getting out of bed for "pee time"....and PICKING UP POOPS.

I changed more diapers than the 9'er, because I have the stomach for it. I'm not scared of POOP.

I just don't fancy being the "POOP GUY"....and the "LAWN GUY".........
My lawn was so green and thick last summer, Gumby asked me where his hair was!

ballz said:
That's not unfortunate at all, it's the right idea. Closer towards the move, I would suggest having the dog over for a full night at least a few times. 2 nights in a row eventually before the final move.

We actually have a couple nights on......
Are you the dog lady?...because you seem to have the schedule!

Hammer Sandwich said:
and PICKING UP POOPS.

That used to turn my stomach at first....I couldn't stand that warm, squishy feeling that was only separated by a thin plastic bag  :-\

(I've since gotten used to it, and even come to admire some of the bombs he's dropped!).

Well I will admit that as an avid dog lover I am completely biased, but trust me they grow on you. The dog in question sounds to be extremely well taken care of and trained. I think that history alone will help you transition into a 'dog person'.

I think the biggest hurdle for you will be to let go of your animosity, because the dog will love you in a second if you love it. If you can get over the disgust about the idea of rolling around in the grass playing with the dog you are in for a world of fun my friend.

Hammer Sandwich said:
I got out of bed for the baby, no worry about that, I just dont want to do it for a filthy dog......

A dog that size Should be able to make it through the night without going outside without a problem.

TK-421 said:
I couldn't stand that warm, squishy feeling (I've since gotten used to it, and even come to admire some of the bombs he's dropped!).

That's what she said.

(My deepest apologies, I refuse not to swing at a T-Ball)

Sapperian said:
Well I will admit that as an avid dog lover I am completely biased, but trust me they grow on you. The dog in question sounds to be extremely well taken care of and trained. I think that history alone will help you transition into a 'dog person'.

It really is......and I'd like (in theory) to continue that.

Sapperian said:
I think the biggest hurdle for you will be to let go of your animosity, because the dog will love you in a second if you love it.

That's my big hurdle.
I still HATE DOGS.
They're so needy. I compare them to "College Age" girls.....sure, give 'em a little food, and something to drink, they'll do whatever you wish.....
But miss a night...they'll pee on your floor and put their noses in all your buddies crotches.

Sapperian said:
If you can get over the disgust about the idea of rolling around in the grass playing with the dog you are in for a world of fun my friend.

That kinda sold me, DogLover........I roll about on my lawn because it's green and lush...Weed 'N Feed's expensive you know......

Maybe I'd like my kid to roll about with the dog, because she wants to.

Hammer Sandwich said:
They're so needy. I compare them to "College Age" girls.....sure, give 'em a little food, and something to drink, they'll do whatever you wish.....
But miss a night...they'll pee on your floor and put their noses in all your buddies crotches.

And like humans, the ones that are that way tend to stay that way after college too.

Dogs really aren't anymore high-maintenance than most women in my experience (I'm sorry, I don't care about the backlash, the man has an innocent little girl he needs to look out for and she doesn't deserve my dishonesty.) ;D

ballz said:
And like humans, the ones that are that way tend to stay that way after college too.

Dogs really aren't anymore high-maintenance than most women in my experience (I'm sorry, I don't care about the backlash, the man has an innocent little girl he needs to look out for and she doesn't deserve my dishonesty.) ;D
:rofl:

You horrible Ba$tard.......

I am a flat out dog guy - I have two wonderful German Shepherds with a combined age of 5, and a combined weight of 185 lbs....

I am also a Father, and an adoring Uncle.  You are asking the wrong questions.  The real question is "once my Boxer (and I have some experience with the breed) falls in love with my child and my wife, will there be any room left for me?  Your dog companion sounds wonderful.  Open your heart to her and she will crawl in.  There are no bad dogs, just bad (and mostly indifferent) owners.

My kid brother has a 6 year old deaf girl who is, perhaps, the coolest person on the planet.  He has a Shepherd who has had some minor aggression issues with other dogs, but who is completely in the thrall of little Miss Screaming Beauty.  He would literally die for her.

You will only have problems with your dog if you are ambivalent.  Offer her your kindness, and she will steal your heart.  Offer her your heart, and she will die for you and yours.

Feel free to PM me.  I have slowly become a dog person, and can help you to become one too!

Dave

P.S.  Dog BO is mostly due to bad commercial food.  I home feed my two, and have recipes etc. They smell better than me most days...

First off...it is a nice looking dog...
I'm going to assume you've done your homework on Boxers but points to be stressed include...
1) They are ACTIVE dogs. Shorts walks to the poop spot down at the park aren't going to cut it. If you don't tire her out with plenty of exercise she'll run/jump/bounce/play all over your house. She won't understand or care that the 50", $3000 TV isn't bolted down.
Bringing me to 2) They may not be huge dogs but they are packed with muscle...easily knocking over a little kid or a frail grandma when excited.

If you rendered a payphone NS when hearing about a dog in your house...what's going to happen when you come home to turds on the floor, shoes ripped up and the arm to your new leather couch chewed?

Just a thought

RubberTree said:
First off...it is a nice looking dog...

If you rendered a payphone NS when hearing about a dog in your house...what's going to happen when you come home to turds on the floor, shoes ripped up and the arm to your new leather couch chewed?

Just a thought

At three years old most chewing is over with......

Just remind you family of some of the sacrifices you may have to make to your lifestyle. The dog will be part of the family, and need to be remembered in most of your plans. Vacations must now be not only kid friendly, but dog friendly, or you'll need to find a good dog sitter or kennel. Taking the wife out for a night out, make sure the baby sitters are okay with dogs, and the dog is okay with the baby sitter. There are additional costs to the "free" dog that need to be taken into account - food, the pet insurance, kennel fees, dog licenses, medical expenses not covered by the insurance (heartworm, annual shots, etc.).

That being said, I never worried once about my wife and kids being alone in the house at night while I was on trips, because the dogs weren't going to let strangers in. They were also good at catching the odd squirrel running around the living room, but that's a different story all together.

Good luck. 

Boxers are wonderful dogs! You have to make friends with her - and she'll take a bullet for you. I've only known 2 of them, neither my own, and they loved everybody. There was an old one in the village where I grew up who regularly herded little kids away from the highway that ran through the village. It never mattered whose kid it was. Boxers seem to me to have a natural affinity for kids. They may not have a pretty face, but they have that strong, muscular body, deep chest and stand like a statue. To me, that's dog-beauty! Let her into your heart - you'll never regret it!

Hawk

Hawk said:
Boxers are wonderful dogs! You have to make friends with her - and she'll take a bullet for you. I've only known 2 of them, neither my own, and they loved everybody. There was an old one in the village where I grew up who regularly herded little kids away from the highway that ran through the village. It never mattered whose kid it was. Boxers seem to me to have a natural affinity for kids. They may not have a pretty face, but they have that strong, muscular body, deep chest and stand like a statue. To me, that's dog-beauty! Let her into your heart - you'll never regret it!

Hawk

Boxers are wonderful!  I have two rescued boxers at home -- they took a lot of behaviour training, as they were both badly abused, but I couldn't ask for better dogs.  Honestly, I'd never get anything but a boxer now.  A few things though -- even at 7 years old, my old one has a ton of energy.  But they make great jogging partners!  Boxers are also very, well, gassy.  They have very human-like farts, and it can get intense having two of them in a pmq!  It also costs a fair bit for an annual vet visit, and that doesn't cuont the licensing, food, toys, etc... 

But all that said, I've never met a more loyal, wonderful dog than a boxer.  I have two of them, plus a dachshund (named Pepperoni, of all things!) and we're 3 months away from having a baby.  I can't wait to raise my kid around dogs -- that's one of the things I remember most about growing up is always having a dog around.  =)

Back