• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How'd you spend Remembrance Day?

Spent it on Cenotaph at the Vanier memorial in Ottawa. The parade was nice, Ottawa police drums were great. Chief of police for the city was represented as well. Good parade all around, and definitely warmer than last year.

After that, it was off to the legion for a few hours, and then a Regimental night. Seems like everyone always ends up at the Heart and Crown that night!

I went on parade in a little town, sponsored by a small Legion branch.

A few of us were in a det to support this Legion. A small marching det and a couple of Wagens.

Local pipe band: they did well.

As we marched down Yonge this lady was standing on the side of the road holding up a pile of medals. I was doing my best to look forward, but it was clear she had the whole WWII set. Could have been her Dad's or Grandad's. It put a bit of context on it, to see this lady, standing on the side of the road, holding these medals up, in silence...

It was cold, wet and a long way from Confederation Square.

Many kind words were given to me, from many of the Comrades and the Public, extended to those 'in theater'... I trust those 'stuck in' will know, many at  home are thinking of you ....

Overall; It was a good go.

Remembrance Day has taken on a whole new meaning for me, for obvious reasons.

I attended the ceremony in downtown Kitchener, but because of my wounds and such, I was unable to march in the parade. It was a little dissapointing. I would have loved to march in the Parade with my regiment, as we had the biggest turnout I've ever seen. There were two fifty man guards, plus band (which I would have been with) plus flag party. The DCO said there was about 140 on Parade. Not bad for a reserve unit.

The Ceremony was standard, but this year it hit me a lot closer to home. My parents and Fiancee joined me at the cenotaph to provide support.  My Sister and Brother in law tried to make it from Toronto in time, but weather and traffic held them up.

It was a tough ceremony for me this year.  Every time I looked over at my mother, I could see the pain in her eyes.   I was ok until they laid the wreath for the soldiers who died in Afghanistan, then it was in my mind. When the piper played the Lament, it tore me up. But it was the band playing Amazing grace that brought me to tears.

After the Ceremony, we met up with my sister and brother in law and followed the troops back to the Kitchener armouries.  We weren't there long though, just long enough to watch some promotions.. way to go guys,

The family and I had a quick bite to eat at a Kelsy's and then it was off to Branch 50 Legion to catch up with the troops.  By the time I got there, the troops were trickling in, and a fellow piper was warming up the crowed in the smoking area out side (in the rain I might add)

After a few beer, and some words with the Veterans, it was time to board the Legion Bus for the next stop. My parents weren't up to the challenge so they headed home to Hanover, but my fiancee, sister and brother in law stuck it out. My sister got some good pictures and Video. Heres the LINK to the pics.

This year, the legion planned ahead and booked 2 city busses, so I borded one bus, and the other piper borded the 2nd bus. In tradition, we both played on the bus to entertain packed crowds to the next Legion.
The busses pulled up with feet stomping and hands clapping to every stop.

Our next stop was the Polish Legion, famous for its Polish Sausage Lunch Buffet (personal fav of the troops)

My accomplice and I play a few rounds in the Legion to the enjoyment of the crowds (at least they said they liked it)

Then it was back on the bus again. Same deal, one bus, one piper, and it was clapping, stomping, hooting and hollaring all the way to the next stop: Royal Canadian Air Force Association 404 Wing in Waterloo.

Once there, we played the passengers of the bus into the club with Scotland the brave, and again, once inside, we played another impromptu concert for the Vets... They seemed to love it.

And again, it was back on the busses for the next stop.

We were greeted warmly by the K-W Naval Association in Waterloo as we played the troops in again. While there, I had a chance to talk to a Navy veteran, and without saying many words, we shared a lifetime of experience. He told me about his tour onboard a destroyer, during WW2, in convoy actions. About the worst experiences he had. And I shared with him my small experiance and without words, we reached understanding. Even now, just thinking back, remembering the look in his eyes, I feel that lump in my throat.

I had to sit for a while to get a grip on things again.  My sister commented on how much it was like an Irish Wake; There was singing and dancing, people talking and sharing. Food and drink, laughing and crying. And everyone remembering.  

We stayed at the Navy Club a little longer than planned, as we missed the next bus.  but a 45 min wait later and we were on our way again.

This time we stopped at Branch 530 Legion in Waterloo.  I have a lot of fond memories about this legion from Remembrance days past.

This was to be out last stop on our legion tour. And again, we played the troops in, and again we played for the vets and the guests of the legion. It was a great time.

What made me really happy was, even though my legs were sore, my back hurt and I was hobbling around, it was like I never left, it was like nothing ever changed.  I wasn't 'that wounded guy from Afghanistan', I was 'that piper who plays at the legion every year'... just like it always was.  Every once in a while, some one would come and say something.  When the veterans came to talk to me, it wasn't a sympathy thing, it was an understanding, for both of us.  I have found so much more respect for them, I don't even have words to describe.

We left Branch 530 around 1830h and made our way up the street to an Irish pub; Failte
This is yet another tradition. We had dinner and played again.  The staff there love us and treat us very well, in return we are there every Remebrance day and they have become the unofficial pub for the Kitchener Garrison of the Royal Highland Fusiliers of Canada.

Sometime during dinner, some one pointed out that Don Cherry was doing a tribute to the troops in Afghanistan on Hockey Night in Canada, which was playing on the big screen in the pub. I turned in time to see him holding up a tan patch in the shape of an eight ball, with Crazy eights embroidered on it.  This was a patch that two guys from my section (one having been wounded and sent home with me) had made up for the guys in my platoon (8 platoon, C Coy, 1 RCR), just before we went into Panjwayi. (only one of us was wearing it when we went into battle, but he's still there, so no names).  i couldn't believe my eyes... the Crazy 8s... My boys... My Brothers... I never felt so proud.  

Then at the end of the show, they showed all the pictures of the fallen, It was the pictures of WO Mellish, Pte. Cushley and Pte. Graham that got me. My heart sank. The pub went silent. I looked around at my Family and my Regimental family and felt the tears.  All I could think about was how I'd feel if I had lost a loved one. I saw the pictures and all I could think is how much pain their friends and family must feel.  Then I though about the bigger picture; we aren't the first ones to go through this. Those veterans I spoke to during the day were carrying the same burden, as do their families. And the look I saw in their eyes is the look I saw in the eyes of my fellow soldiers in Kandahar after Panjwayi.  A look no words can describe.

I thought about this and I realized, this is Remembrance Day.  This is what it will be for me forever. Nothing I can say will ever make anyone understand, I couldn't possibly put it into words accurately enough to do it justice.  And now that I have reached my own understanding, I have so much more respect for those who endured so much more through wars past.

I will never forget those who won our freedom, I will never forget those who fought to keep it, and I will never forget those who try to bring freedom to others.

I will never forget my brothers.  

I miss them.

Glad you made it out, Piper - sounds like it was good for you.  GREAT photos/videos as well BTW - loved the piping on the bus sequence!

Thanks for sharing.

milnewstbay said:
Glad you made it out, Piper - sounds like it was good for you.  GREAT photos/videos as well BTW - loved the piping on the bus sequence!

My Fiancee and I both forgot our cameras, so my Sister is responcible for all the camera work... and she did a great job. 

I'm just happy that they could share the experience. I think it helped her, my brother in law, and my fiancee understand why Remembrance Day is so Important and how we remember.

BTW, My Brother in Law is now considering joining the Reserves... He's been lurking around army.ca, looking at info.

I gotta say, it was the hardest, but the best Remembrance Day I've had.

We took our Scout Troop downtown to attend the parade here in Trenton.  I feel that it's important that the youth attend the parades, see the Veterans and learn what Remebrance Day is all about.  I was allowed to wear my Scouting uniform under my civie jacket again this year; but, for some reason, it didn't feel right this time.  Next year I will wear my uniform with medals for the youth.  I found it astounding that so many people, military and civilian, don't know the Remebrance Day protocals.  Saturday was parade number 30 for me.
My oldest son freaked me out as I heard him sing "God Save The Queen"!!!
:salute:
:cdn:

I stood by a cenotaph with my eldest son in Gananoque in the pouring rain remembering a young soldier who tried to make a difference and in his own way did. A brave father, brother and son who will go no more  to a remembrance day parade, as he is the one we go to remember.

Lest we forget  Cpl Randy Payne Afghanistan April 22 2006  :salute:  :cdn:

Dave

I done what I do every year, watch the ceremony on television. On Friday we held our own at school, which was great. BTW a poem that I wrote, along with the poems of the rest of my class, will be sent to a newspaper of a former military wife who lives here now in Petawawa, so look for my name!  :D

missing1 said:
A brave father, brother and son who will go no more  to a remembrance day parade, as he is the one we go to remember.

And in that way, Randy will be there with you sir.  :salute:

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j11/Pvtbones/nov11small.jpg
(picture of the ceremony, bottom 2cm not included)

best wishes from the town of Woodstock, several hundred people attended and a great speech was given by Pastor Peter Grogan after the two minute silence and was received by a roaring applause. I was lucky enough to have a boss (my mother  ;D) who was kind enough to left me run off half way through my shift at a recently opened 50's style restaurant nearby and attended.

I wasn't able to bring my camera because another family member took it for some other reason so I don't have anymore photos to show. if I can I'll see if I can get my hands on a transcript or recording of the Pastor's speech (I can also post an article from a local newspaper featuring a part of the pastor's speech if you'd like.)

can't think of a better thread to make a first post in.

Paul and I were invited to Ottawa this year, which was such an honor.  I have never been to the ceremony before.  It was cold, wet, windy, miserable to say the least.  I wore a lovely rain poncho, but was in good company as Mrs. Hillier and Mrs. Gilbert sported the same outfit.  We watched the veterans march past, then Paul went to leave his poppy on the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier.
After that we had the privilege of going to Rideau Hall to attend the Silver Cross Mother's Luncheon.  Mrs. Murphy is a lovely woman, and did a fantastic job of representing those moms.  As always, the meal was fantastic, the company was great.  We even managed to squeeze in a mini tour of the building.
Then followed by martini drinking with one of my best friends and her husband from Pet.
All in all, a fantastic time.  It was hard to remember all of our friends that we lost, but I couldn't think of a better way of honoring them than being in Ottawa and leaving our poppies, one for each.

I attended Promise Keepers (a Christian men's convention) and they held a Remembrance day service with over 6,000 men in attendance. ALL of them cheered for the people who have and are serving in the CF.

After that, I visited a friend who is dying of cancer. It was a hard visit because he was just moved to palliative care. His cancer has become very serious, and it looks like he might die in a few weeks from kidney failure. It's just hard to see a once healthy friend who now looks like a Holocaust skeleton with the lime-green skin of a severe jaundice victim.

Overall, it was a great and sad Remembrance Day for me...

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/HTMLTemplate?tf=/ctv/mar/video/new_player.html&cf=ctv/mar/ctv.cfg&hub=SEAfghanistan&video_link_high=mms://ctvbroadcast.ctv.ca/video/2006/11/11/ctvvideologger1_500kbps_2006_11_11_1163282285.wmv&video_link_low=mms://ctvbroadcast.ctv.ca/video/2006/11/11/ctvvideologger1_218kbps_2006_11_11_1163281067.wmv&clip_start=00:03:09.67&clip_end=00:04:28.25&clip_caption=CTVAtlantic:TracyPrysiazniukinTruro,N.S.&clip_id=ctvnews.20061111.00170000-00170310-clip1&subhub=video&no_ads=&sortdate=20061110&slug=remembranceday_truro_061111&archive=CTVNews

Hope the link works. Local coverage of the events. Uncludes a few words with the Silver Cross mothers, and a Patricia down for the ceremony in Truro.

milnewstbay said:
A group of about a dozen PPCLI soldiers who were with Tony Boneca when he was killed (some from his section, some from his platoon, some from other companies) were there, coming to pay their respects to Tony's parents and his final resting place.  I'm told the Bonecas hosted them last night and tonight, with all traditional Portuguese hospitality.  I bought a couple of them a drink, thanked them, and was told it was an emotional visit for them.  I think it was good for both sides - the parents hearing more about their only son, the troops being able to see the kind of mutual support Tony's Thunder Bay colleagues were capable of.  The PPCLI troops presented a display case with Tony's helmet in it to the Lake Superior Scottish Regiment - no word on where it will be displayed yet.

Tony, that was very honourable for these men to pay repect to their fallen brother. Thanks for sharing it with us. Honestly, it one of my worst fears and nightmares, if any of my guys are killed here, and later back in the safety of Australia,  seeing me face a Mom, Dad and family or friends of a soldier taken long before his time, with many possibly unanswered questions, well I best leave that thought alone, as even thinking of it is a rough thought, but again throws one back into the reality of this mess.

Meanwhile here in our Baghdad compound, we did have a ceremony. The Australian Ambasador, his staff, and the US 77th FA's CO and Command Sgt Major were also in attendance, among other Aussie's including a Brig!

We had two LAV 25's on each side of the Cross of Remberance, and a cenotaph party. Reefs were laid at the base of the Cross, while our national flag was at half staff. We had our minute's silence, and a US Army Padre, who did not even look old enough to shave read a prayer. The odd spatter of distant SAF was ever present, but no IED/VBIED detonations were heard. As usual they were earlier that day, or later in the afternoon.
Afterwards, we headed to the mess for an Aussie barbie, then back into the grind.

By 1300 all was dismantled and it looked like nothing took place.

Regards from the CP, here in Baghdad,
(METREP 9c to 20C today)

Wes

My remembrance day went well. I attended the national ceremony here in Ottawa, and braved the rain and cold. The ceremony was nice but I think will go somewhere else next year in favour of a smaller ceremony, the where too many people, as I am used to quite a smaller gathering back home in Nova Scotia. After I finished thawing and drying I went to the war museum, which was excellent as always. All in all my remembrance day was very good, I am looking forward to next year when I'll actually be able to pay my respects in uniform.

Getting the permission to post this story on a lost fighting soldier http://www.102ndbattalioncef.ca/warpages/Edwin%20Grant.htm

Rememberance day in downtown Montreal
Lots of rain - in some ways, a fitting tribute - the whisper of a thousand tears......

With about a Dz mates, we went in to the 1st pub for a double scotch to salute our lost comrades.... then a wander over to the Black Watch.  The Warren family were hosted and all were well looked after.

Well done lads!

St Agnes Church service Friday night......over 600 there...a really fitting tribute.
Grand Parade in Halifax on Saturday. What a beautiful day...weather wise and so many people out there.
169 wreaths laid from so many diverse groups who all came to pay their respects and remember our Vets. It was particularily touching to see the Silver Cross Mom...Nathan Smith's mom.
It was one of the best Remembrance Days I've ever experienced.  :cdn:

Back