• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How Will You Vote

As of today, November 30, 2005 how will you vote.

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
author=Glorified Ape link=topic=36968/post-307810#msg307810 date=1134401119]
You're ignoring the mandate and legality aspects. I'm with you as far as the failing of the ideology, but I wouldn't classify it as a political non-sequitur. I'd also wager, judging from casualty rates, that peacekeeping's less dangerous than, say, Iraq (which is what I was referring to).

If we judge deployments on the amount of danger or casualties we face, then the correct solution is simply never to go. I would preffer to judge based on results. In the case of the Balkans, the UN intervention from @1990-95 was totally ineffective, the Serbs and Croats could pretty much drive over the UN "Peacekeepers" whenever they got in the way of creating a "Greater Serbia" or "Greater Croatia", or tried to interfere with the rampant "Ethnic Cleansing" (known in the past as "The Final Solution"). The US led NATO intervention in the 1995 period applied enough military pressure to end the wars, and at least stabilize the situation to a cold peace (which hadn't change too much when I was there in 2003).

In most cases where there is/was a UN mandate and an American intervention (such as the Tsunami, to get away from "kinetic " military effects for a moment), the "results" collumn is always filled on the American side. Given the historical reality, I would think very long and hard before commiting myself to putting blood and treasure on the line in support of an ineffective and ineffectual organization simply on the basis of a dubious "mandate and legality". Sovereign nations exist in a state of nature, regardless of what we might wish, so if a party wants to articulate a foreign policy for my consideration, they had better take the real world into account.

If we judge deployments on the amount of danger or casualties we face, then the correct solution is simply never to go. I would preffer to judge based on results. In the case of the Balkans, the UN intervention from @1990-95 was totally ineffective, the Serbs and Croats could pretty much drive over the UN "Peacekeepers" whenever they got in the way of creating a "Greater Serbia" or "Greater Croatia", or tried to interfere with the rampant "Ethnic Cleansing" (known in the past as "The Final Solution"). The US led NATO intervention in the 1995 period applied enough military pressure to end the wars, and at least stabilize the situation to a cold peace (which hadn't change too much when I was there in 200
In most cases where there is/was a UN mandate and an American intervention (such as the Tsunami, to get away from "kinetic " military effects for a moment), the "results" collumn is always filled on the American side. Given the historical reality, I would think very long and hard before commiting myself to putting blood and treasure on the line in support of an ineffective and ineffectual organization simply on the basis of a dubious "mandate and legality". Sovereign nations exist in a state of nature, regardless of what we might wish, so if a party wants to articulate a foreign policy for my consideration, they had better take the real world into account.

I guess you're not much for the liberal institutionalist perspective, eh? I'm not arguing that we shouldn't deploy, but picking our battles is important, especially when our military is as small as it is. Whether you, I, or Joe Schmoe off the street likes it or not, foreign policy has to factor other politics than realpolitik. The kind of "results" that Iraq has generated aren't the kind I think we should be aiming for - dead Canadians, political suicide, and worsened relations with the Muslim world (and elsewhere) aren't what we need.

There was just cause for Afghanistan and Kosovo but the justifications for Iraq are evaporating as quickly as the Bush administration can manufacture them. If our foreign policy is going to be directed, to whatever degree, at the "war on terrorism", then perception is as important as what you call "results". After all, the whole "hearts and minds" aspect of counter-insurgency kind of dries up when you're busy bludgeoning the people whose hearts and minds you're trying to win and enraging their peers. This is doubly true when the stated justifications for such bludgeoning are so weak they need replacement every couple of months. I'm not saying action is wrong, but that it has to be properly aimed. Misdirected action, in relation to the war on terror, is just as dangerous, if not moreso, than having no action at all.

Kirkhill said:
Sounds like a Liberal to me.

You quoted out of context. I said that when it comes to government, people are largely idiots. That's where you get suggestions like electing the bureaucracy or supreme court justices (like the National Citizen's Coalition is after). I'm not saying people aren't intelligent, but that they seem woefully illusioned about government.

Glorified Ape said:
I guess you're not much for the liberal institutionalist perspective, eh? I'm not arguing that we shouldn't deploy, but picking our battles is important, especially when our military is as small as it is. Whether you, I, or Joe Schmoe off the street likes it or not, foreign policy has to factor other politics than realpolitik. The kind of "results" that Iraq has generated aren't the kind I think we should be aiming for - dead Canadians, political suicide, and worsened relations with the Muslim world (and elsewhere) aren't what we need.

There was just cause for Afghanistan and Kosovo but the justifications for Iraq are evaporating as quickly as the Bush administration can manufacture them. If our foreign policy is going to be directed, to whatever degree, at the "war on terrorism", then perception is as important as what you call "results". After all, the whole "hearts and minds" aspect of counter-insurgency kind of dries up when you're busy bludgeoning the people whose hearts and minds you're trying to win and enraging their peers. This is doubly true when the stated justifications for such bludgeoning are so weak they need replacement every couple of months. I'm not saying action is wrong, but that it has to be properly aimed. Misdirected action, in relation to the war on terror, is just as dangerous, if not moreso, than having no action at all.

I agree with Art in general; don't judge the campaign by its risk.   Believe it or not, our mission to Afghanistan probably has the same effect of "dead Canadians" and "worsened relations with Muslims" as Iraq does considering that the militant Islam (and the mass who listen to them) aren't too keen on state borders.   Whether we are in Kabul, Khartoum, or Baghdad, we are in Dar al-Islam as far as they are concerned.   You're seeing this now with all the incidents in the last month now that Canada is at the center of the insurgency in Afghanistan.

As well, as I've said before, the "moral" side of the argument is weak.   Don't view Iraq apart from the general campaign against the Islamic Insurgency that has been going on for quite some time now.   The action wasn't unilateral by any sense of the word (we concluded that here), the target was in a strategically important region for the war, and Saddam was just a bad guy in general (you'd have to be a fool to deny that he doesn't belong in jail).   Now, when it comes to the "strategic" dimension, I find more cause for complaint.   Was unleashing the forces which were clearly unanticipated at this point in time a good thing for the war?   Was it taking the "eye off the ball" strategically?   That remains to be seen, although I still have my reservations.

I've always said that if the West wanted something of the scale and scope of Iraq, with all its political difficulties and its bloody insurgency, that we should have invaded Pakistan.   Musharaff is a dictator who can barely keep the reigns.   By invading Pakistan, we can hit the Taliban/AQ forces from the rear and finally hit the real base of Al Qa'ida's forces.   We can seize the "Islamic nukes" which are one car-bomb away from falling into Islamist hands.   We would have the support of India (can you imagine Western forces being aided by a 500,000 man Indian force?).   And, best of all, we can take one of the 3 key centers of Islamic Insurgencies "center of gravity" (the other 2 being Saudi Arabia and Egypt).    Saddam?   We should have bought him off and brought him back onto our team (like he was in the 80s).   He had just enough reason to dislike the jihadists as we do and there is no compulsion against dealing with dictators and tyrants in this war (look at some of our current "allies").   Ah well, that's just the realpolitik in me....

You quoted out of context. I said that when it comes to government, people are largely idiots. That's where you get suggestions like electing the bureaucracy or supreme court justices (like the National Citizen's Coalition is after). I'm not saying people aren't intelligent, but that they seem woefully illusioned about government.

I think that is generally the case - there is a reason that we have Representative Democracy, as much as we love to malign our representatives.

Infanteer said:
I agree with Art in general; don't judge the campaign by its risk.   Believe it or not, our mission to Afghanistan probably has the same effect of "dead Canadians" and "worsened relations with Muslims" as Iraq does considering that the militant Islam (and the mass who listen to them) aren't too keen on state borders.   Whether we are in Kabul, Khartoum, or Baghdad, we are in Dar al-Islam as far as they are concerned.   You're seeing this now with all the incidents in the last month now that Canada is at the center of the insurgency in Afghanistan.

I'm not judging the campaign by its risk but by its justifiability and payoff potential. Even from a realpolitik perspective, Iraq made little sense. I'd say its done more damage to Western security than Afghanistan, if only (and not only) because it's so bloody public and prolonged. If it can't even be sold to Western populations convincingly, imagine the depot of ammo it provides the insurgency (international, not just Iraqi). Don't get me wrong here, I'm not trying to make moral arguments against the war in Iraq - it's been done to death by both sides - all I'm saying is that realist foreign policies are one thing when they can be realised practically in domestic and international political fora; it's entirely another thing when neither the domestic nor international fronts are solid.

Of course, that's assuming that without Iraq, Afghanistan would have remained the relatively room-temperature potato its turned out to be.

As well, as I've said before, the "moral" side of the argument is weak.   Don't view Iraq apart from the general campaign against the Islamic Insurgency that has been going on for quite some time now.   The action wasn't unilateral by any sense of the word (we concluded that here), the target was in a strategically important region for the war, and Saddam was just a bad guy in general (you'd have to be a fool to deny that he doesn't belong in jail).

You'll get no moral debates from me here, while we could bludgeon the morality of Iraq into atoms it wouldn't achieve much but to waste Mike's bandwidth.

Now, when it comes to the "strategic" dimension, I find more cause for complaint.   Was unleashing the forces which were clearly unanticipated at this point in time a good thing for the war?   Was it taking the "eye off the ball" strategically?   That remains to be seen, although I still have my reservations.

You likely know more about this than I, given your propensity for papers and hundred-thousand-page readings on the topic, but I'm of the tentative belief that it was premature and largely unwise. Afghanistan was a necessary and, insurgency wise, logical step. The political fallout from it seems to be minimal, partially (I would suspect) because it could be convincingly sold to the domestic and international fora in the wake of 9/11. There was a clear link between the Taliban and AQ/OBL, drawing the lines for the public wasn't difficult, and new excuses didn't need to be thought up every month or so. Meanwhile, it disrupted what served as a major base of operations for the insurgency and the resident population seems, superficially, to be far less resistant and accepting than that of Iraq. I think Iraq pushed the political "capital" (god I hate that cliche, but it's apt) way too far into the red and did no favours for the strategic end insofar as its done virtually nothing, in my estimation, to further the political end which seems to be poorly articulated in whatever estimate (if any) exists for the international counter-insurgency campaign. Militarily, its succeeded in generating a quagmire in which to waste forces, money, and time with little or no discernable advantage.

I've always said that if the West wanted something of the scale and scope of Iraq, with all its political difficulties and its bloody insurgency, that we should have invaded Pakistan.   Musharaff is a dictator who can barely keep the reigns.   By invading Pakistan, we can hit the Taliban/AQ forces from the rear and finally hit the real base of Al Qa'ida's forces.   We can seize the "Islamic nukes" which are one car-bomb away from falling into Islamist hands.   We would have the support of India (can you imagine Western forces being aided by a 500,000 man Indian force?).   And, best of all, we can take one of the 3 key centers of Islamic Insurgencies "center of gravity" (the other 2 being Saudi Arabia and Egypt).    Saddam?   We should have bought him off and brought him back onto our team (like he was in the 80s).   He had just enough reason to dislike the jihadists as we do and there is no compulsion against dealing with dictators and tyrants in this war (look at some of our current "allies").   Ah well, that's just the realpolitik in me....

I'm not sure there's ever been any compulsion against dealing with dictators and tyrants. As for Pakistan, do you think the political fallout (which would likely be far worse than Iraq, methinks) would be outweighed by the strategic gain? Especially when you factor strategic success' dependency on realisation of the political end?

I think we're hijacking this thread....  :-\

I think that is generally the case - there is a reason that we have Representative Democracy, as much as we love to malign our representatives.

Indeed - and a professional bureaucracy. I'm not anti-democratic, I just feel that the number of issues that the public is really qualified to deal with (through election, etc) is limited - myself included.

Glorified Ape said:
Indeed, and maybe we'll be so lucky as to have religious decrees posted all around our government buildings. Perhaps they'll be good enough to outlaw abortion and, if we dare to dream, outlaw gay people! Then maybe we can get some of that sweet sweet lynching I've heard was so popular down south... just imagine - we could have our very own pogroms. Harper seems like an open-minded guy - maybe he'll take a few pointers from 'down under' and get us some of that Muslim-free immigration policy that Wes is saying has become so popular with the Aussies.   ::)

If I want the neo-Na..er... National Citizens Coalition as my PM's think-tank, I'll vote Harper. But until I get the call from Ghandi that flying pigs have been spotted over a frozen hell, I'll stay away from old Hit...um... Harper.

Please, can we leave science-fiction out of this...?

Brad Sallows said:
>I think that the growing importance (indeed, necessity) of university for an increasing number of jobs is one reason why it should be cheap.

What percentage of people do you think merit a university education?  Why do you think they should be subsidized by the percentage who are not going to enjoy the lifestyle that higher education and higher incomes tend to promote?

I think that anyone who wants one and has the necessary requisites for entry should be able to get a university education. As I said, I'm not saying university should be free, just affordable. I'm not arguing that Canadian universities are presently exhorbitantly expensive, but a national tuition average closer to that of Quebec resident tuition would be preferable to me.

As for why they should be subsidized, Calvin made a decent case. Having an educated populous is in the interests of the country and it pays off when the higher incomes that generally accompany degrees are taxed.

RangerRay said:
Please, can we leave science-fiction out of this...?

Yeah, that was a ranting sarcastic overstatement on my part, but I was serious about the National Citizen's Coalition.

Caesar said:
Poor wording on my part. As with anything in Economics, you can find diverging opinions on almost any aspect of economics from equally qualified sources. My statement is based on the principles of economics from my first year Econ class. Unfortunately, that was 9 years ago, so my memory has failed re:reference. I suspect however, that you will be hard pressed to find a highly regarded economist that advocates personal subsidies in favor of a free market. BTW, I was referring to PERSONAL subsidies, not industry. Second, there are times when temporary subsidies (personal) can be justified economically, but these are the exception, not the rule. University tuition freezes and personal 'no strigs' subsidies are not one of them, IMHO.

If you consider education a public good, subsidy only makes sense. It's comparable with any other public good in that sense. I'm not advocating individualized subsidies, just the maintenance of a low tuition ceiling on the higher education industry through sector-wide subsidy.

As long as that's temporary, okey-dokey, but that wasn't the original argument. Permanent subsidies lose thier impact over time. Once a person, or an indusrty, begins to rely on them as part of their salary/revenue, it stops being an investment, and becomes welfare.

That's the nature of a public good. If it was the widget export industry, I'd agree, as it's an economic sector outside the purview of public goods principles.

Can we change people's minds on subsidies? If we could, then the Conservatives would have gotten far more traction with their tax cutting proposals and shifting money from government service delivery back to the taxpayer.

This isn't to say we shouldn't try, (subsidies are indeed a bad thing from almost any economic point of view, representing mis or mal allocated resources and lost opportunity costs, the money to subsidize comes at the expense of someone else, no matter how you slice it) but this old Persian story should prepare us for the task at hand:

Nasrudin was caught in the act and sentenced to die. Hauled up before the king, he was asked by the Royal Presence: "Is there any reason at all why I shouldn't have your head off right now?" To which he replied: "Oh, King, live forever! Know that I, the mullah Nasrudin, am the greatest teacher in your kingdom, and it would surely be a waste to kill such a great teacher. So skilled am I that I could even teach your favorite horse to sing, given a year to work on it." The king was amused, and said: "Very well then, you move into the stable immediately, and if the horse isn't singing a year from now, we'll think of something interesting to do with you."

As he was returning to his cell to pick up his spare rags, his cellmate remonstrated with him: "Now that was really stupid. You know you can't teach that horse to sing, no matter how long you try."

Nasrudin's response: "Not at all. I have a year now that I didn't have before. And a lot of things can happen in a year. The king might die. The horse might die. I might die.

"And, who knows? Maybe the horse will sing."

Caesar said:
Of course they're not slaves, that's why they're paid. If they don't like the wage, they are free to go elsewhere. The market, not the employer, and certainly not the employee, should dictate wages.
And if that means that everyone goes to work in the subsidized shipyards in Europe and the US, we just have to accept that as a fact of life and write it off as part of the cost of living in a libertarian paradise?  What nonsense.

That is completely flawed logic, and you didn't answer my question: If it weren't for the permanant subsidy, would the industry colapse?
Case in point, Canada has no shipbuilding subsidy (uniquely in the developed world) and consequently has the smallest shipbuilding industry of any G8 nation.  So the answer is "Yes, because everyone else is subsidizing their industry".

Oh, so when the numbers work in your favor, that's fine, but when you're shown to be completely off your gourd, the economies are not integrated, and I gotta wait 50 years to prove it? Nice.
I'm glad to see you agree that there's no rebuttal to that point.  That's because the argument is just.

The US does not subsidize students. Quit refering to state subsidies for Universities or Government loans to students. Neither is a subsidy of for students. Keep in mind that Universities are not merely learning institutions, evidenced by the fact that Profs are generally graded on how much they publish and the quality of their research, not the quality of their teaching. Those subsidies are not all used to subsidize student tuitions, they also go to research.
I wonder how you think the system in Canada works...

Really? So increasing the number of students per class (for instance), while not increasing the overhead, cost of labour, etc, doesn't increase profit? How do you figure?
Sure, you could probably save a lot of money by lowering the quality of education given at a university.  The government could save money by not paving the highways, too.

First, I would like to know how you are spending 100k in 4 years at say U of T or UBC. Second, I don't care that your parents can't pay. And third, if it really is 100k for 4 years, I definately don't want anything to do with paying that bill. It's your choice to go, you pay.
Well, since the universities would be completely unsubsidized (as you say, all subsidies are bad), the full amount of the education cost must be borne by the student. According to G-Ape's chart above, the cost per student for a year of university at an inexpensive unsubsidized institution is USD$15k, or about CAD$17.5k.  Add $8k for eight months a year of (very lean) living, books, etc and you get about $25k a year.  Times four years makes a university degree at a lower-end school $100k.

And there's not much point in discussing this with you if you fail to realize that people will go to University with or without a subsidy.
Sure they would, but they'd be measured in the tens of thousand instead of the hundreds of thousand.  We need more engineers, doctors, lawyers, scientists, etc than that.

Both Hamiltongs and G-Ape have points, from a socialist point of view. I don't share your opinions, nor your outlook on what is an acceptable expenditure for tax revenue. Essentially we are now down to throwing stats around, and saying I'm right and you're wrong.

From a free market, libertarian perspective, I am 'right'. From a socialist perspective, you two are 'right'.

Unless either of us is able to convince the other, this debate will continue with no progress of ideas, therefore, continuing this line is pointless.

I say subsidies, save some very pecific circumstances, are bad economic policy, and most economists will agree with me. You disagree. I encourage you to vote NDP, and elect more socialists to the House. Myself, I will be voting for the party that will spend the least of my money on other's bills. I have enough of my own.

Caesar said:
Both Hamiltongs and G-Ape have points, from a socialist point of view. I don't share your opinions, nor your outlook on what is an acceptable expenditure for tax revenue. Essentially we are now down to throwing stats around, and saying I'm right and you're wrong.

I say subsidies, save some very pecific circumstances, are bad economic policy, and most economists will agree with me. You disagree. I encourage you to vote NDP, and elect more socialists to the House. Myself, I will be voting for the party that will spend the least of my money on other's bills. I have enough of my own.

Words well put. Thank you.

One thing that is distressing to me is the fact that in Canada, having a good defence policy but also investing in education, and other social programs seem to be mutually exclusive. I am one of those rare breeds of "realists" that believes in a strong, well balanced military for the purposes of enhancing our foreign policy, thus enhancing our trade relationships with other nations, thus enabling us to invest more in the social safety net, a national day care program etc. It is possible to have both in Canada. If only Jack Layton had a robust defence policy that wasn't centered around statements geared to provoke an emotional reaction such as "We should not send anymore Canadian soldiers to Afghanistan, they will be going blindly into combat" and the like.  The only thing the NDP has that resembles a defence policy is a promise not to go through with NMD, and a promise to have a "debate" on what the future focus of the Canadian Forces should be. While the NDP has to differentiate itself from the Liberals, I think there a lot of Canadians with relatively progressive values that want an effective military without having to vote in the Tories, and without having to re-elect the Liberals, who have, as any party in power for more than a decade would, become extremely corrupt.

Kilo_302 said:
I think there a lot of Canadians with relatively progressive values that want an effective military without having to vote in the Tories, and without having to re-elect the Liberals, who have, as any party in power for more than a decade would, become extremely corrupt.

You must be extremely smart, cuz you think just like I do.

I am lobbying the Green party to form an EcoSF unit.  Based out of the Boreal Forest the unit would respond to any offenses against international ecological standards.  Oil spill?  These guys would go in and kill anyone responsible.  Sorta like the Isreali's after Munich.  >:D

Were the "Rainbow Warrior" and "Sea Shepard" the naval elements of your unit? Does PETA count as a support unit or Auxiliaries?

Need to know before I sign up!  ;)

Planned Eradication of Troublesome Activists    >:D

a_majoor said:
Were the "Rainbow Warrior" and "Sea Shepard" the naval elements of your unit? Does PETA count as a support unit or Auxiliaries?

Need to know before I sign up!   ;)

PETA is a tier 3 unit.  I am talking a tier 1 unit.  Training pipeline of approx 16 months; para, halo, scuba, trapping and hunting, bicycle maintenance, skin care etc.  No expense will be spared.  The unit will be able to project Canadian hard and soft green-power worldwide within 18 hours maximum. 

The first priority will be to create an Offical Secrets Act. 
Second priority will be to transform the CF into a lean mean and 'green' fighting machine, all CF members that cannot meet a very high fitness standard will be culled.  My initial suggestion is the set an olympic distance triathlon benchmark of 2:45:00, if you cannot meet the standard you are fired at the finish line.
SHARP classes will be replaced with reduce reuse recylce classes (David Suzuki will be the MND). 
All inf pers will get reloaders. 
All military veh. will become hybrid powered.

As this is a party in development, of course some minor alterations to my plan may occur. 

The Green Party candidate in my riding is a Juijitsu black belt (studied in Japan for a few years) and coaches high school wrestling.  Good guy.

glad to see everyone is eager to debate politics without resorting to stereotypes.. as everyone SHOULD know, sarcasm is the lowest form of wit.

Funny, I always thought it was the highest but MOST people just were not smart enough to grasp GOOD sarcasm....

" 'Sarcasm' " is the inability of a feeble mind to fully express itself"  

oooooh I win!! Connect 4 !!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back