• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How New Recruits Are Treated

ArmyBoyzGurl: actually, it was an air cadet only base. Besides, a lot of the stuff you may see as a staff cadet will not be the same stuff that the medics see. With some exceptions, most of the medical info is confidential, and can only be told to other medical staff or to the parents. Also, the big disciplinary issues will go right to the higher leadership.

muskrat, I like your reference to puffed up little Hitlers.

As we all know, Der Feurer was only a Corporal, several years before he manufactured his rise to leader of Nazi Germany.

As any military history book will tell you, the educated officer class of Germany didn‘t think much of Hitler‘s ability to plan and execute military strategy. He was accused (never to his face, of course), of thinking like a corporal when the situation called for thinking like a field marshal. Especially late in the war, stories of Hitler calling up invisible divisions and maneuvering them across his planning maps give the impression that he was just not all there.

I certainly hope that during my military career, whether it be long or short, that I never reach a particular rank and think, "That‘s it, I‘ve sorted it, I know everything now!". There is always more to learn, and a corporal just isn‘t qualified to lead an army.

ARMY BOYZGURL:

What the **** would it matter if it was air cadets or sea cadets or Army cadets? They‘re all cadets. :skull:

I have heard that if you were at one time a Cadet, it may end up hurting you later on in your CF career. For instance; learning drill techniques improperly, and not getting jacked up for it, while in Cadets. Then having to "unlearn" these improper techniques in BT.

a lot of cadets take the course, but then dont go into the military after, they become CI‘s or just go onto a civilian job or whatever

There is one minor difference in cadet wings and reg/res wings. The cadet wings have a red maple leaf and the reg/rsv have a white maple leaf. :cdn:

Sean, sorry but your wrong. Red(or cherry wings) just means you have the course itself. White wings are for people you have actually served in a jump position(such as the CAR, Jump coys..etc).

Considering all that is said here on the topic on how cadets are seen by the Reg‘s, would you want to wear your cadet wings?

Even if its the same course and what not, its like walking around high school waving your grade school diploma. Who cares.

Having a jump course is something to be proud of, your part of a brotherhood.
Walking around the city wearing an airborne sweather with a "paratrooper" jacket and a paratrooper or airborne hat is a little much.
Also with that i would enclude bragging about how you cut off the handle of your tooth brush to make your kit lighter and holding your jump course over a civilians head like its a nobel peace price heh.
just a pet peeve of mine.

If someone has their course from cadets and earned their wings they should wear them. I heard a good comment about the topic once though, just because you have your jump course doesnt mean your a paratrooper, a paratrooper belongs to an airborne unit. If you just have a jump course your a parachutist.

So you would advise wearing Cadet jump wings in the regular forces? Do you think you would get honour and respect from the regulars?? Their have been a number of long threads on this board that point too that it would be best to not where them to be accpeted by the vets.

Why would someone not wear the para wings they earned in cadets ? The qualification is the same, and it is valid once you join the CF. Actually, a number of my friends did their jump course with cadets and became excellent Paratroopers. There is no other jump course, and once you are qual‘d, they will not send you again... so when does a cadet qual‘d parachutist begin wearing his Wings ??? :cdn:

FYI I‘ve heard many say that the cadet jump course is actually tougher than the course CF members take (at least it was a few years back). For one it‘s much longer with more physical training. All training is done by airborne staff from the reg force jump companies. Back in my day those staff were obviously all Airborne Regiment instructors. There‘s also a notion that the cadets on these courses are simply made to work harder and are pushed further, ‘cause it‘s just a fact that all reg and reserve CF members as a rule seem to detest senior cadets! Trust me, they may be teenagers, but they‘ve earned those wings. Maybe it‘s different now, I don‘t know, but I doubt it.

Sounds like you were talking to the same person i was, they told me when you go over seas you get all new equipment and have access to the "war stock"

The basic para course is the same for all. The difference with cadets is that they have a 3-week pre-para, run by para-instrs, to select those who will go on the actual course. The pre-para I did in ‘85 was run by Phys Trg Instr‘s (now known as PSP staff) and was 2 weeks long. We were only doing PT, but cadets actually start doing basic para stuff on their pre-para. I was course WO for the cadet pre-para in ‘94, and we even had them go through the mock-tower. :cdn:

"The attrition rate for this cadet course is typically 12-20% of candidates, not unlike that for Regular Forces personnel who take the identical course. Cadets who complete this course can be justifyably proud of their achievement and are entitled to wear their "jump wings" for the rest of their military career. "

I found this information on the Army Cadets site.

As to colur of the wings, on my S3's I wear the white & on combats red.  There was several reasons for this. 1. the usaul rites of passage for an infantry  man  caught up to me in 85, & the MO said no more.
2. in some of the active sub units, mine included, we did every thing possible to sub due our profiles on the line, thus the red wings.  Yes I was an active jumper & wasn't far from jump master quals. We tended to do things that were different from the mother units in the late 60,s thru mid 80's. Even today my pack is  a US c-2 alice.  I guess the jist is there are some odd ball op requirements, reigimental quirks, that differ from ro's.

If you are a cadet and have your cherry wings, wear em. You earned it. Th course is the same, no more no less for reg/res/cdts.

I had a friend who completed the Cadet Para course in the mid-80's. He chose not to wear them through boot camp and sewed them on the night before grad parade. Mind you he also had a copy of the course report proving that he had the course.

They nearly re-coursed him, but fortunately then didn't.

If you get the para qual as a Cadet, Reservist or Reg Force, it's all achieved at the same standard.

Back