• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

How do you know... this is what you want?

I understand what you are saying , and I think pipstah also makes a good point regarding having a degree and a future fall back plan. That is the main reason I'm completing my university degree, not because I'm overly interested in the subject, but because I feel their is great value in having it for my own future financial security. (Even if it hurts that security now :D) Being that I am interested in being a pilot, or an MP ( thats just what really peaks my interest, im sure I could be happy in other professions) getting my degree is even more important.

All in all.. for some people I think a university education is something that has to be done, and is; and for others its a giant waste of time and money, and yet for others, its a wonderful experience. It boils down to each individual.

Update <few months until it's been a year after my initial post>:

Hello everyone! I thought I'd update you on my current standing in life. In about 90ish days I will be 19. I've read this entire post again and I'm thankful such advice was given to me. I'm in the process of obtaining my final credit to graduate high school. Right now, I can't say I'm living a terrible life, but I'm definitely not satisfied with the progress I'm making with life. I've made some changes to my diet, some changes to my attitude about getting my final credit, and surely some changes about who I want to be.

When I first posted this message, I was excited about this. I had all my paperwork soon filled out, I was running daily with thoughts of significicance and meaning thinking I'm going to make a difference in the world. Basically I was motivated because I was about to realize what I had to offer. (I read the posts you guys made, I agree you can get the same thrills in in the army as in civilian life, however the Army seems to be a different approach, a disciplined approach, a structured approach -- which is what I feel I need to do)

I read and understood that it's my choice in life to do whatever I want. The army was something I want to do. However, for a brief period, my mother (whom I don't live with), I think helped contribute to the scared, guilty feeling about joining the force. She was hesitating on signing her information (household etc,) on my application to the Canadian Army because of her personal thoughts toward war and fighting. She watches CNN way too much and was basically telling me that I'm going to die or take a big risk doing PART TIME - RESERVE. She thinks I'm going to be shipped off into another country without being asked, yes or no. (Can someone please confirm this for me on the board, I've read you can't be forced to, and to always read what you sign, obviously.) So my thoughts shifted severely (I know they shouldn't have) in the following few months after she had this conversation with me. That was in June-July-approximately. I don't know why, but even though I have a lack of a relationship with my mom, I still tend to believe most things she says. (This could be a deep personal issue, but let's not go there.)

I had a lot of time to think this through and it makes sense to me to join, because I want to, and I'm not going to hesitate one bit because someone is scared. Maybe my mom is scared of losing something she never really had. Who knows, that's another subject.

Everything makes sense to me (regarding this decision) and my geographical advantage couldn't get any better because the following is within walking distance of me:

-school
-my part time job
-the gym
-and the local infantry reserve.

Because I didn't initially go with my gut feeling (regretting not joining right away), I've done the following:

- Worked crappy hours at a factory.
- Worked my part time job with full time hours. (I applied for manager roles, however, 3 years of seniority is nothing compared to some of the lifers I'm competing against.)
- I am currently running a successful business, however, I've lost motivation for technology based careers being as I lived a good chunk of my life on the computer.
- Not really interested in college because I don't know what field I want. My parents whom I live with wanted me to go to college, wanted me to get the high paying job etc etc. But going to school for something I didn't want to do wasn't what I wanted, thus I now pay rent.

I want to go out of my comfort zone, I want to be able to adapt, lead and be successful as a person. I'm still confident this is what I want.

Everyone discouraging me, out of my way please.

The reserves, to the absolute best of my knowledge, do not force anyone to go on operations. This of course could change at any moment (highly unlikely with the current political situation) but if it did change chances are conscription would not be far to follow.

If you don't like the reserves you can just quit.

DanielSchnarr said:
Update <few months until it's been a year after my initial post>:

- Not really interested in college because I don't know what field I want. My parents whom I live with wanted me to go to college, wanted me to get the high paying job etc etc. But going to school for something I didn't want to do wasn't what I wanted, thus I now pay rent.

I want to go out of my comfort zone, I want to be able to adapt, lead and be successful as a person. I'm still confident this is what I want.

Everyone discouraging me, out of my way please.

It's good to take advice from your mother, nature intended it that way. So let me tell you something that my mother told me: "If you want to go to school make sure you are going there to learn. Not to get a better job."

This stigma of needing an education, has griped our society and turned up its proverbial nose upon those who pursue more professional (skilled) jobs rather than academic ones. As poetic justice would have it, after 40 years of this mentality,the job market for skilled people is begging for applicants with huge salaries and bonuses. And a lot of people with degrees are stuck working in Chapters.

Professional soldier is one of those skilled jobs. As a corporal, you can make more than what most highschool teachers make, so don't let people try and guilt trip you with that "You don't have an education?!!!" attitude. So like you said, "Everyone discouraging me, out of my way please."

Daniel
Maybe you could get your mom to read some of the threads here?  She is likely confused about how things work in the CF (as a great many Canadians apparently are) and if she understood that might make it better. 
To be clear, you cannot be forced to go on a tour overseas as a reservist.  You will have the option of asking to be sent on one, but that decision will be yours. 
If this thing is still eating at you, you should go for it.  Living with regret is no good, and if you check out some of the threads that deal with girlfriends and whatnot here, you will see many guys that didn't follow their own hearts to join or stay in, and regretted it for years.  Mom will be able to handle it if you take the time to explain how things actually work.  If not, be prepared to be at odds with your mom.
No doubt the umbilical cord is god-awful thick by now, but I'm sure you can hack through if you had to.  ;D

Sometimes you've just got to cut those apron strings.  I know I had to when I signed up, and I've never felt better.
Let us know how your application goes. 
Good luck on it.

Alright guys, I've applied online. I wonder how long it'll take for my application to go through. What shall I do in the meantime? :salute:

By the way I've put:

Firefighter
InfantryMan
Cook

As my top three selections.

Now that is a diverse selection of choices.  :)
Good luck with whatever you get, rifleman.  ;)

It is a good selection, very diverse.

- Firefighter, the only thing I would have considered in college. I love the physical and mental aspect to helping people.
- Infantry, this would be a challenge for me. Even though I can make minimum fitness levels (and some), I know I'd be put to the test with this one, especially with courage. (I'd love to learn lots about firearms!)
- Cook, something I have experience in, but wouldn't mind learning a few new tricks!

Since I applied online, would there be any other paperwork involved? (besides security check, references?)

Since you applied online, expect a call within a day or two...  Anymore paperwork?  Thats funny...  You will see endless paperwork throughout your training.  I'm currently in week6 at CFLRS and there is endless paperwork.  As im' sure it will be this way throughout my career.

Good luck!

You will have to supply all the stuff that they ask for, but then up until your enrollment, there isn't a huge amount of paperwork... At the enrollment ceremony, it makes up for anything you might have missed with lots of paperwork :)

Alright, I have my first set of paperwork done!

Time to activate my application by going to the office and signing the application form plus submitting the paperwork.

Here's a question I have researched but found no DIRECT answer. I've searched and became dizzy (yes, gave it an honest try). Can anyone tell me what kind of pension is offered for part timers, or how it works in general? Even better, if you could find me the post on which it is explained, that would be great.

Take care. :salute:

DanielSchnarr said:
Here's a question I have researched but found no DIRECT answer. I've searched and became dizzy (yes, gave it an honest try). Can anyone tell me what kind of pension is offered for part timers, or how it works in general? Even better, if you could find me the post on which it is explained, that would be great.

Up until now there was none.  I guess you need more time in "ReSEARCHing".  It is all over the News.  You couldn't have missed it.  RESERVE PENSION announced in all the major newspapers and on the TV, as well as here:

This long running Topic: Reserve Pension

Points in this Topic:  The Reserve Force Regimental System (Restructure & Merger)

This soon to be removed, redundant post: Canada's reservists to be eligible for pension says MND

I will accept a CAD 20.00 Research Fee made out to my name.

Back