• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

hopeful engineer

geterdone123

Inactive
Reaction score
Hey all! I've just booked my CFAT for a couple of weeks from now, and I'm really hopeful towards becoming a combat engineer. I'm a little worried about the test because math isn't my strongest point, but I'm still really keen towards engineering although I know it will be hard. My question is, if I don't score high enough on the CFAT for engineering, but am able to score high enough for Infantry (which is my second choice) will I be able to serve in the Infantry for the required amount of time and then take the test again and try to switch to combat engineering?
Thanks!

Your CFAT score stays with you your entire career. I am aware that lateral movements are possible. Again it is Government therefore completely circumstantial.

Good luck in your test.

geterdone123 said:
Hey all! I've just booked my CFAT for a couple of weeks from now, and I'm really hopeful towards becoming a combat engineer. I'm a little worried about the test because math isn't my strongest point, but I'm still really keen towards engineering although I know it will be hard. My question is, if I don't score high enough on the CFAT for engineering, but am able to score high enough for Infantry (which is my second choice) will I be able to serve in the Infantry for the required amount of time and then take the test again and try to switch to combat engineering?
Thanks!

You'll be fine.
Just brush up in some high school stuff and you'll have no issues!

I can't guarantee the answer for you... But as far as I know you would be able to make that transfer, in theory..
Infantry has to be open for transfer out though, and engineering for transfer in. 

I suggest doing a brush up, math is not my strongest point but I am studying some math to prepare for my CFAT.

Having done the CFAT I can only say. Brush up on your English and math. Tutor if you have to. Or something like the current GED book would help as well.

I had to rewrite the CFAT after many years, and math isn't my strong suit. 

Now, laugh if you will but I only used the website http://math.com/ and concentrated on fractions mainly. 

Put the effort in now, because almost all courses in the initial phases are fairly to very challenging in one way or the other.

Good luck!

Eye in the sky- It is funny you reference that website only because I used the same one. I knew about it only because of my kids (aged 8 6 and 5). When they come home with math to do I always used it to refresh my own mind on things ..... It works very well.

mrjasonc said:
Your CFAT score stays with you your entire career. I am aware that lateral movements are possible. Again it is Government therefore completely circumstantial.

Good luck in your test.

Not entirely correct. You can re-take the CFAT through your BPSO, although its their determination on whether or not they grant the re-test.

Also WRT to the OP's original question, yes you can transfer to Cbt Eng, but it's dependant on positions available, CoC and career manager approval, and the following conditions:

To be eligible to apply for AVOTP, the member:

Must have completed 48 months of continuous service by 31 December of the year in which the application is made (Members in the combat arms occupations may apply after 36 months)
Must meet entry standards and appropriate medical category for desired MOSID
Must be QL4 qualified in current MOSID
Must be Pte/Cpl, or if MCpl or above, must be willing to relinquish rank and pay to Cpl

Reference: ASU Edmonton BPSO

Once the OT is complete, you'll have to do Cbt Eng DP1.

Back