• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hockey player fired for not signing flag for troops

Well, first off, the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League is a bit of a misnomer, because it also includes Maritime teams.

Second, the league made NO statements wether they supported the troops or not, what they found was that 1) Making the players to sign the flag (which goes against rules handling the flag) was wrong, and that 2) Firing the player for not signing a flag goes against the leagues anti-discrimination rules.

Think about it this way. What if it was reversed?

If the team did NOT support the troops, and they fired Bouchard because he did? Still discriminatory.

BernDawg said:
WTF!!!  So, then, are we to understand that the Quebec league doesn't support the troops?!?!?!

Pull your head out of your ass and try and think for a second. I know, it's hard to put aside the whole "Quebec is evil" bullshit, but do try.

Soldiers have fought and died so people have certain freedoms. The league said "this guy's rights were violated, and that's wrong." They didn't say "we don't support the soldiers." All they did was point out that forcing someone to renounce their freedom of speech is wrong.

Are you saying people aren't allowed to their opinion?

Calm down..

"also fined the Saint John Sea Dogs $1,000 for having asked the players to sign the flag."

I think that this line is ambiguous. Having asked the players to sign the flag, to me, suggests that they are fining the team for even bringing it up.

Magravan said:
Calm down..

"also fined the Saint John Sea Dogs $1,000 for having asked the players to sign the flag."

I think that this line is ambiguous. Having asked the players to sign the flag, to me, suggests that they are fining the team for even bringing it up.

I agree it's ambiguous, but I don't think they're fining the team for bringing it up. I'd say they're fining the team for apparently "requiring" that everyone sign the flag. Or maybe they read the regulations regarding the flag.

I agree, that's how I took it too. But I can see where, if read literally, that it says "League has rules against asking players to show support"

My point was that, it seems, that they were fined for asking them/telling them to sign the flag in the first place not that the league is from Quebec (and the Maritimes) it's just the name of the league.

Perhaps I like the view from my ass.
Frederik G said:
Pull your head out of your ass and try and think for a second. I know, it's hard to put aside the whole "Quebec is evil" bullshit, but do try.

Soldiers have fought and died so people have certain freedoms. The league said "this guy's rights were violated, and that's wrong." They didn't say "we don't support the soldiers." All they did was point out that forcing someone to renounce their freedom of speech is wrong.

Are you saying people aren't allowed to their opinion?

As the son of people that volunteered to lay down their lives, if need be,  to preserve that freedom (yes both parents!) I have every right to express MY opinion even if it comes from a muted voice from my rectal area and besides, the air in my ass is often much more refreshing than the air exhaled by some members of our "enlightened" society.

The man has the right to sign or not sign whatever he pleases. If his non-conforming with team policy gets him in trouble he shouldn't be surprised...my understanding is he was also in violation of the policy that he is supposed to score goals and work with other team players on the ice.

IN HOC SIGNO said:
my understanding is he was also in violation of the policy that he is supposed to score goals and work with other team players on the ice.

Now that's funny.

Somewhat humorous but not entirely true:

From the original article, "He said Bouchard had not been performing well and had a bad attitude, even though he has tied for top scorer on the team so far in the season."

I thought having a bad attitude was a requirement to succeed in Junior hockey!

Folks

I find this sadly amusing. I spearheaded the Support the troops yellow banner campaign within JTFC/LFCA as part of my OP CONNECTION portfolio. While we have approx 200K signatures I can tell you without naming names a number of very Snr politicians at all levels wouldn't sign the banner while at the same time claiming to all that would listen that they support the troops. A Snr Ontario MPP said he would sign but no press or pictures. I politely told him if the tree fell in the forest and no one heard the tree, did the tree in fact fall. thank you Sir but no pictures no signing the banner. It was great his aides went stupid. In fact at one Red Friday Rally a sitting Mayor who previously wouldn't sign did so only because his opponent did.

My point is no one called them into question nor should have this team called the player into question or the league the team. At the end of the day it is only a signature. What really matters is did the person sign with the courage of his or her convictions out of true support for the people not necessarily the mission (whole differant debate). I can tell you most who signed our 228 banners (and counting) have left messages that will bring a tear to your eye. That's what really matters, that the average Canadian supports the people in the CF. Sadly that is a story that should be covered not some 2 bit hockey player who otherwise wouldn't be a blip on the radar.

Sir

Again you and I have found comman ground. The sitting Mayor (no names) is truly filth. That being said and you will be proud of me for this I commented after he signed "rather userish of you your Worship" and the Tory Min of Fin just grinned. True story............................

captainj said:
Sir

Again you and I have found comman ground. The sitting Mayor (no names) is truly filth. That being said and you will be proud of me for this I commented after he signed "rather userish of you your Worship" and the Tory Min of Fin just grinned. True story............................

He he....I have trouble getting such titles past my gritted teeth when I address those folks. Your worship indeed! I guess it's ironic that some of the worst scumbags in our society have to be addressed as "The Honourable John Bloggins, MP" At least in the Forces for the most part we earn our ranks and titles.

Too right. I think I should have my troops call me your Worship ha ha ha........................

Actually the title I love is the Viscount of Bisons Crossing then the lady of the lash she who must be obeyed would be a Viscountess....................

Back