• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hobbies and Working with The CAF

SaskChuck96

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm going through the application process now and have really improved my exercise habits and have changed my diet to a more balanced and nutritional one. So I feel confident with my preparations. However I have one odd question I haven't been able to find an answer for. I know people who are in service now and they seem to have quite a bit of time to them selves either evenings or some weekends. But none of them seem to do much with that time except play video games, sleep or be in the gym. (This is what I see my friends doing at least) I'm not exactly one for video games or excessive sleep, I do like going to the gym but not enough for it to be the only thing I do. I really enjoy fishing, paintball and target shooting. Are these activities not allowed? I'm not worried about time as even in my current Civilian life I only have five or six hours of free time on the weekend and an hour or two in the evening and still manage to do what I like doing.

Of course other hobbies are allowed, we don't regulate all aspects of your life.

Fitness is a huge part of the military lifestyle. Fitness contributes to better health (both physical and mental), fewer injuries, and success in your career.

Some trades you'll have a lot of personal time because your work days will be 7-4, 8-5 or whatever; some will have less time and operational tempo dictates that as well. Lots of people do things other than work out, lots of on-base shooting clubs, lots of hunters, fishers. Outdoorsmen are sometimes hard to find, because having to be in the field for weeks or months on end is enough to make the word "camping"* put a sour taste in the mouth.

Nothing wrong with having a variety of activities to spend your spare time.

We are not warrior-monks.

SaskChuck96 said:
Are these activities not allowed?

If you wish to take up something like Skydiving, for example, you may find this of interest,

Do you need permission to skydive?
https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:xvzPaoqFdDQJ:https://navy.ca/forums/index.php%3Ftopic%3D105822.0+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Well I'm not excited about jumping out of planes right now. Like anything else I'm sure I can get passed it. I also didn't mean to offend anyone, My grandpa died before I could ask him what life was like in The Forces and my friends are more worried about looking cool. You also can never trust movies. I have to figure this all out on my own.

SaskChuck96 said:
My grandpa died before I could ask him what life was like in The Forces

Life in the Forces

There is no career more challenging or rewarding than serving in the Forces. You will have the privilege of defending our country, being part of history-making events, and helping those in need – both in Canada and around the world.

You will obtain world-class qualifications and develop leadership skills that will take you far in your military career. You will visit more places than most people see in a lifetime and make great friends along the way. There really is no other career quite like it.

More than 90,000 Canadians serve in the Forces in over 100 trades and professions. The Forces are made up of the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force. Some jobs are specific to a certain environment. For example, if you want to be a Pilot, you’ll serve in the Royal Canadian Air Force. If you want to be an Artillery Soldier, you’ll serve in the Canadian Army. Other jobs such as Legal Officer or Medical Officer may be filled by members from any of the three environments.

No matter which uniform you wear or the job you do, you will be part of an amazing team of people dedicated to defending Canada, protecting our interests and contributing to international peace and security.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/lifeintheforces-75

SaskChuck96 said:
. . . But none of them seem to do much with that time except play video games, sleep or be in the gym. . . .

So they are doing the same things they did before joining . . . What's so difficult in understanding that?  You do what you like . . .  they do what they like.

mariomike said:
Life in the Forces

There is no career more challenging or rewarding than serving in the Forces. You will have the privilege of defending our country, being part of history-making events, and helping those in need – both in Canada and around the world.

You will obtain world-class qualifications and develop leadership skills that will take you far in your military career. You will visit more places than most people see in a lifetime and make great friends along the way. There really is no other career quite like it.

More than 90,000 Canadians serve in the Forces in over 100 trades and professions. The Forces are made up of the Royal Canadian Navy, Canadian Army and the Royal Canadian Air Force. Some jobs are specific to a certain environment. For example, if you want to be a Pilot, you’ll serve in the Royal Canadian Air Force. If you want to be an Artillery Soldier, you’ll serve in the Canadian Army. Other jobs such as Legal Officer or Medical Officer may be filled by members from any of the three environments.

No matter which uniform you wear or the job you do, you will be part of an amazing team of people dedicated to defending Canada, protecting our interests and contributing to international peace and security.
http://www.forces.ca/en/page/lifeintheforces-75

In other words ...

11874.png

... sorry mariomike, but I couldn't resist.  :salute:

E.R. Campbell said:

11874.png

Jack Taylor: Do you miss the paratroopers?

Lanpert: I miss the killing.

I just ordered a slot car set, the Dukes of Hazzard.

Also looking to find others like the A-Team van and such.

SaskChuck96 said:
I'm going through the application process now and have really improved my exercise habits and have changed my diet to a more balanced and nutritional one. So I feel confident with my preparations. However I have one odd question I haven't been able to find an answer for. I know people who are in service now and they seem to have quite a bit of time to them selves either evenings or some weekends. But none of them seem to do much with that time except play video games, sleep or be in the gym. (This is what I see my friends doing at least) I'm not exactly one for video games or excessive sleep, I do like going to the gym but not enough for it to be the only thing I do. I really enjoy fishing, paintball and target shooting. Are these activities not allowed? I'm not worried about time as even in my current Civilian life I only have five or six hours of free time on the weekend and an hour or two in the evening and still manage to do what I like doing.

Most bases have a firearms club for your civie guns.  Fishing is available in some form near every base in Canada.  Hiking is a big deal amongst the outdoor military crowd, as is climbing up mountains and controlled falling off mountains. Paintball is a craze amongst younger soldiers, but not so much for older troops.  All mentioned is good fitness and extra training for a troop. 

Lightguns said:
........  Fishing is available in some form near every base in Canada. 

Although I wouldn't want to around Toronto or Montreal harbours.  >:D

I play rugby, hockey and bicycle a lot (which includes bicycle maintenance and repair).  Then there is the occasional camping trip (although I use a trailer because sleeping on the ground is just so uncivilized).  In my spare time, I make a lot of sawdust, from which the occasional item of interest emerges.

Oh yeah, I also do that full-time navy thing...

Back