• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

HMCS Chicoutimi {MERGED}

Had he excluded his boast originally I would have agreed with you sooner as then your point would have made sense. My understanding (and I may have misread your posts) that anyone off the street could have done this investigation to save money.

http://www.news.mod.uk/news/press/news_headline_story2.asp?newsItem_id=3526

The HMCS Chicoutimi members have received a Canadian Forces Unit Commendation for their actions on this tragic day one year ago. 
Here is the text of today's CANFORGEN:

CANFORGEN 154/05 CDS 082/05 050300Z OCT 05
CANADIAN FORCES UNIT COMMENDATION - HMCS CHICOUTIMI
UNCLASSIFIED

WEDNESDAY 5 OCT 05 MARKS THE ANNIVERSARY OF THE TRAGIC ACCIDENT THAT OCCURED TO HMCS CHICOUTIMI AT SEA DURING HER TRANSIT TO CANADA FROM SCOTLAND. THE FIRE ON BOARD THE VESSEL THAT DAY FILLED THE SUBMARINE WITH THICK BLACK SMOKE AND RESULTED IN A TOTAL LOSS OF SERVICES AND PROPULSION. THE INCIDENT ALSO PRODUCED NINE CASUALTIES DUE TO SMOKE INHALATION AND MOST UNFORTUNATELY RESULTED IN THE LOSS OF ONE LIFE, THAT OF LT(N) CHRIS SAUNDERS

WHILE SUBMARINE CREWS ARE TRAINED TO HANDLE A GREAT VARIETY OF EMERGENCIES, THE PARTICULAR INCIDENT THAT CRIPPLED CHICOUTIMI WAS TOTALLY UNFORESEEN AND REQUIRED GREAT CONCENTRATION, PERSEVERENCE, AND INGENUITY FROM ALL ON BOARD. THE SHIPS COMPANY REACTED IN AN OUTSTANDING MANNER TO THIS DIFFICULT ORDEAL, AFFECTING AN IMMEDIATE RESPONSE TO THE FIRE AT SEA AND SUBSEQUENT EVENTS. THEY WORKED COURAGEOUSLY, WITH GREAT PURPOSE, TO SAVE THEIR SUBMARINE, AND ENDURED CONSIDERABLE HARDSHIP AND RISK IN SO DOING. IN THE FACE OF HEAVY SEAS, MULTIPLE CASUALTIES, REDUCED AIR QUALITY, AND THE TRAGIC DEATH OF ONE OF THEIR FELLOW SUBMARINERS, THE SHIPS COMPANY ACTED IN THE HIGHEST TRADITIONS OF THE SUBMARINE SERVICE AND THE CANADIAN FORCES

I WISH TO PERSONALLY COMMEND THE SHIPS COMPANY OF HMCS CHICOUTIMI FOR THEIR EXCELLENT RESPONSE TO THIS INCIDENT AND WISH TO ANNOUNCE THAT I HAVE AWARDED THE CANADIAN FORCES UNIT COMMENDATION IN RECOGNITON OF THEIR OUTSTANDING EFFORT IN SAVING THEIR BOAT

CANFORGEN 154/05 CDS 082/05 050300Z OCT 05
MENTION ELOGIEUSE DES FORCES CANADIENNES A L INTENTION DES UNITES - NCSM CHICOUTIMI
UNCLASSIFIED

LE MERCREDI 5 OCTOBRE MARQUE L ANNIVERSAIRE DU TRAGIQUE ACCIDENT EN MER DU NCSM CHICOUTIMI PENDANT SA TRAVERSEE DE L ECOSSE AU CANADA. EN CE JOUR FATIDIQUE, UN INCENDIE S EST DECLARE A BORD DU SOUS-MARIN ET UNE FUMEE NOIRE ET EPAISSE A RAPIDEMENT ENVAHI LES LIEUX LAISSANT LE SOUS-MARIN SANS ALIMENTATION ELECTRIQUE NI SYSTEME DE PROPULSION. NEUF MEMBRES DE L EQUIPAGE ONT SOUFFERT D INHALATION DE FUMEE ET MALHEUREUSEMENT, LE LTV CHRIS SAUNDERS N A PAS SURVECU

LES EQUIPAGES DES SOUS-MARINS SONT FORMES POUR GERER DE NOMBREUSES SITUATIONS D URGENCE, MAIS L INCIDENT QUI A PARALYSE LE CHICOUTIMI ETAIT TOTALEMENT IMPREVISIBLE. IL NECESSITAIT UNE GRANDE CONCENTRATION, DE LA PERSEVERANCE ET DE L INGENIOSITE DE LA PART DE TOUT LE MONDE A BORD. LES MEMBRES DE L EQUIPAGE ONT REAGI RAPIDEMENT ET BRILLAMMENT FACE A CETTE RUDE EPREUVE. MALGRE LES PREJUDICES SUBIS, ILS ONT FAIT PREUVE DE COURAGE ET ONT TRAVAILLE EFFICACEMENT EN VUE DE SAUVER LEUR SOUS-MARIN TOUT EN S EXPOSANT A DES RISQUES CONSIDERABLES. AUX PRISES AVEC UNE MER DEMONTEE, SUBISSANT DES BLESSURES, MALGRE UN AIR IRRESPIRABLE ET EBRANLE PAR LA MORT TRAGIQUE D UN DES LEURS, LES MEMBRES D EQUIPAGE DU NAVIRE ONT AGI DANS LE RESPECT DE LA GRANDE TRADITION QU EXIGE LE SERVICE A BORD DE SOUS-MARINS ET DANS LES FORCES CANADIENNES

J AIMERAIS FELICITER PERSONNELLEMENT LES MEMBRES DE L EQUIPAGE DU NCSM CHICOUTIMI POUR LEUR INTERVENTION REMARQUABLE ET DECISIVE FACE A CET INCIDENT ET JE SOUHAITE EGALEMENT ANNONCER QUE JE LEUR REMETS LA MENTION ELOGIEUSE DES FORCES CANADIENNES A L INTENTION DES UNITES EN RECONNAISSANCE DE LEUR EXCEPTIONNEL EFFORT POUR LA SAUVEGARDE DE LEUR SOUS MARIN

:salute:

It's long overdue.  I would hope that there will be some individual commendations awarded as well.

I grew up in the same town and went to the same high school as Lt Saunders. He was a great guy. He is missed more than words can say. :)

Chicoutimi sub crew honoured

Sailors commended for efforts during fatal fire

By ALISON AULD, THE CANADIAN PRESS

http://torontosun.com/News/Canada/2005/11/26/1324842-sun.html

HALIFAX -- For Master Seaman Craig Evans, it's impossible to avoid the reminders of the day he almost lost his life, dozens of metres under the sea as a fire raced through his sub.

The sonar operator for HMCS Chicoutimi is often not far from the scorched hulk of the boat as it sits on a Halifax dock, awaiting a long list of repairs. Most days he is surrounded by the crew members who fought to contain the blaze.

And he thinks often of Lieut. Chris Saunders, the buddy he lost when noxious smoke filled the sub.

"That's constantly a struggle for me," Evans said yesterday after he and his mates received a special award for distinguished service.

"For me, there's always that little pang. It's visiting a gravesite. It'll take you back. There are always reminders of it -- looking at the boat, walking across the bow. It's, 'Okay, this is where I was then; this is where I was at that moment in time.'"

The sentiment was expressed by many sailors as they were officially recognized for their efforts in fighting the fire that broke out Oct. 5, 2004, as the used British sub was on its maiden voyage to Canada from Scotland.

Saunders was killed and eight crew members suffered smoke inhalation when sea water poured through two hatches in the sub's conning tower, soaking the electrical lines beneath the bunk in the captain's cabin and causing a short circuit.

Yesterday, Gen. Rick Hillier, chief of defence staff, praised the 57 men for their courage and presented the crew with the Canadian Forces' Unit Commendation, adding that a special pennant will fly from the submarine for one year when it returns to service.

In a special tribute, Saunders' widow, Gwen, received a standing ovation as she and her two young sons accepted the commendation on behalf of her husband.

The captain and crew of Chicoutimi were cleared of any blame in the fire.

It's not clear when or if the sub will return to sea.

Chicoutimi's $100M fix-up ?
Feb. 18, 2006. 01:00 AM

HALIFAX—The cost of making fire-damaged HMCS Chicoutimi seaworthy is expected to reach $100 million, a Halifax newspaper reported yesterday.

An unnamed source told the paper the amount was far more than originally expected to rehabilitate the fire-ravaged sub. "I was utterly stunned," the source said of the massive price tag.

The Chicoutimi has been sitting in dry dock at the Halifax Shipyard since last spring. It is slated to return to duty in September 2007

The military admits it has already spent about $25 million assessing the damage and removing some materials destroyed in the Oct. 5, 2004 blaze that killed Lieut. Chris Saunders of Halifax.

But the navy has refused to confirm or deny the projected $100-million cost, which is more than six times the $15 million the navy initially estimated for fixing the Chicoutimi.

It was crippled by an electrical fire during its maiden voyage to Canada from Scotland.

"We're still negotiating with the different contractors, and that's one of the reasons we're not going to give an estimate at this point because that sort of shows our hand and makes the negotiations more difficult," said Lieut. Paul Pendergast of navy public affairs.

CANADIAN PRESS

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1140216612402&call_pageid=968332188774&col=968350116467

Like my grandmother also told me if you have crap to work with don't expect miracles but expect crap results.

Being an ex accountant (now a Sig) I think it would of being more cost effect buying new subs for the long haul.

What is more of an embarrasement to our military? the sea kings or the subs. Wish Canadians had more to say on Gov't money waste management.

Since the military is into restoring things maybe they should look at some used unrestored humvees. Sure they can convince Canadians it's a great value for the money.
http://www.xhumvee.com/mvs_vehicles.htm

PC... if you read some of the other threads you'll find that people who are directly involved with the SeaKings don't have all that much that's bad to say about it.... your comment - is it based on personal knowledge or is it anecdotal from what has been fed to you by the media?

What is more of an embarrasement to our military? the sea kings or the subs.

I hereby apologise to all Canadians for causing you embarassment.  Sorry... won't happen again...

SeaKingTacco said:
I hereby apologise to all Canadians for causing you embarassment.  Sorry... won't happen again...
No worries.  I think we all realize where the blame lies.

We should cut our losses moth ball two subs for parts, maintain two and start the replacement program early.  At least with two subs in the water we could maintain trained crews to take on a new batch.  Its starting to get ridiculous now.  I don't care what anyone says subs are useful tools politically and tactical.  Workable ones are worth the money.

:cdn:

Ex-Dragoon said:
Type 212 baby with AIP...dreaming.

Better: the updated Type 214, with AIP. Bigger and more capable. Dives deeper, goes farther on AIP, and is slightly faster.

But of course with a unlimited budget, I would take the good old Seawolf class submarines...

::) like we will see an SSN in Canadian Navy service. I am looking at a possibility (very slim at that) not something that there is not a hope in h3ll for.

Nothing US and nothing Nuclear.  Germans are making really nice boats with Fuelcells.  NASA has been using fuelcell tech since the 60's; its not like its not prooven.  Puts you in between Diesel and Nuke for underwater endurance.  Life time costs would be much cheaper as well.  US would make us do our refits south of the boarder.  Should have the choice which service station you take your car for repairs.

:cdn:

Sheerin said:
Out of curosity, how are the other three boats doing? 

If I remember correctly, the status are as follows:
HMCS Victoria (SSK 876): Partially operational, as she put to sea a while back in May of 2005, so I suspect all is ok with her, now.
HMCS Corner Brook (SSK 878): Fully operational, but suffered a small electrical fire in October 2005. Don't know if that has been repaired yet, but it is safe to assume yes, as after the fire, she continued her patrol.
HMCS Corner Brook (SSK 878): In Canadianization refit in Halifax. She is due to be fully operational in April 2006.
HMCS Chicoutimi (SSK 879): Repairs and Canadianization refit in Halifax. She is due to rejoin the fleet late 2006, or early 2007.
http://www.vcds.dnd.ca/dgsp/pubs/rep-pub/ddm/dpr2005/mcp_e.asp#5

Armymatters said:
If I remember correctly, the status are as follows:
HMCS Victoria (SSK 876): Partially operational, as she put to sea a while back in May of 2005, so I suspect all is ok with her, now.
HMCS Corner Brook (SSK 878): Fully operational, but suffered a small electrical fire in October 2005. Don't know if that has been repaired yet, but it is safe to assume yes, as after the fire, she continued her patrol.
HMCS Corner Brook (SSK 878): In Canadianization refit in Halifax. She is due to be fully operational in April 2006.
HMCS Chicoutimi (SSK 879): Repairs and Canadianization refit in Halifax. She is due to rejoin the fleet late 2006, or early 2007.
http://www.vcds.dnd.ca/dgsp/pubs/rep-pub/ddm/dpr2005/mcp_e.asp#5

What is the source of your information?

Back