• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

History of removing headdress in the Mess

Arctic Acorn

Reaction score
Had something interesting happen the other day...

Yesterday I was in our mess chatting with a master jack buddy of mine, when a civilian contractor came waltzing in wearing his touque. They‘re doing some work underneath the building and we‘re letting them into the mess to take their breaks and to warm up, as it‘s still about 30 below outside up here.

So, my buddy tell the guy to take his hat off, please. The guy was being a real jerk*** about it, and after a bit of a one-sided arguement with my buddy, we kicked him out of the mess. If he refuses to respect the rules, he won‘t enjoy the privilege.

Anyway, this got me to thinking...where does the tradition of removing your headdress in the mess come from? Is it as simple as just paying respect, or is there a story behind it? I‘m hoping someone out there can fill me in.

Thanks!

The reigning Monarch‘s picture always hangs in a mess. Sign of respect...

The picture should also be on the north wall, with nothing mounted even or higher than the picture.

they got it straight respect and good for you for giving him the boot

What is the significance of mounting the picture on the North wall?

Good on ya for punting this bloke out! Its about our customs and traditions, which we must endure to keep alive. Either obey em, or GTF out!

Messes are a great place for tradition. I have spent many mess dinners with a busting bladder (many SNCOs and officers can relate to this -hehe), not being allowed to leave the table. Many kangaroo courts afterwords, fined with shots of port or whisky and silly mess games passed on from generation to generation.

Pretty much I after every mess dinner, I get my mess kit dry cleaned.

Quick story - Not long after I arrived in Australia, I was at my 1st mess dinner at my new unit.

During mess games, after a good surf and turf meal, I was asked to tell a joke or pay the fine of 5 shots of port.

So I aggressivly leaped upon the long row of tables, picked up a candleobra, with 4 candles burning, paced up and down on top of the tables with over 100 SNCOs and officers seated, dodging glasses of port and wine, menues, and cameras. I told my joke, half pi_$$ed, and dripping candle wax everywhere, staggering on these tabletops, trying to keep my balance. many officers sitting gobsmacked, as i dripped wax on or near them.

Many wine carafs full of warm yellow fliud too!

I dont remember the joke, but it was long and, yes, rude and we all broke into laughter. It was one occasions like this I was dubbed the ‘lumberjack from ****‘.

I had to scratch the wax off my tunic and trousers, and I was so hung over the next day.

But on the sad side, mess life is NOT what it was 10yrs ago, and not the social place to be. I rarely pop in for a drink, unless something is planned. Our mess is usually dead, and is barely afloat. Our mess even stocks Canadian Club and ‘cola‘ premixes to keep me happy! Nothing beats a CC and coke, or a cold Blue.

Regards,

Wes

Originally posted by Herc:
[qb] What is the significance of mounting the picture on the North wall? [/qb]
So she can look over her Realm.
Believe it or not.

Thanks for the reponses guys. I figured it was something simple, but Googling it got me nowhere. I figured the peanut gallery would know... ;)

Cheers,

Fellow Peanut

When we had web belts as part of Garrison Dress, the belts were always removed. My understanding was because a web belt technically constitutes "field gear" which is a nono inside a mess.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:
[qb] When we had web belts as part of Garrison Dress, the belts were always removed. My understanding was because a web belt technically constitutes "field gear" which is a nono inside a mess. [/qb]
Same as no weapon‘s allowed in the mess.

Many many many moon‘s ago when I was with 6Fd Sqn in N.Van.
I was Snr Mess Member and it was Nov.11th and the Queen‘s Cowboy‘s were pissing it up and still had their side arm‘s on in Serge

When I asked them to put their weapon‘s behind the bar or leave (quoting QRNO‘S).Only one did and I unloaded his 38 and put behind the bar and no sweat.
To this day in N.Van no Mountie goes into the Mess or any Legion with a his/her weapon because of what I did that day.
Oh did it cause a stink ;) :D

Remember that NO ONE IS ALLOWED IN THE MESS WITH A WEAPON!!

Originally posted by Art Johnson:
[qb] How about the Orderly Officer and the Orderly Sergeant? [/qb]
Yes they are,also M.P.‘s,RCMP or other Police while accompanied by the M.P.‘s and on Official business.Other wise no arm‘s are allowed at all.

The Orderly Officer and Sergeant also get to keep their hats on, being "on duty". Ditto the Duty NCO.

Originally posted by Michael Dorosh:
[qb] The Orderly Officer and Sergeant also get to keep their hats on, being "on duty". Ditto the Duty NCO. [/qb]
True,but in my experience they have always removed their head dress and walk about with it in their hand‘s.

The MPs at the Meaf don‘t remove their headdress when on duty, doing their routine ... whatever it is they do.

I might be wrong but I don‘t think the lads in Meaford get up to too much trouble on base, it‘s far too small. Maybe in the summers when the courses are running...

Personnel on ‘duty‘ such as the MPs or the Duty CPL, Duty SGT or Duty Offr will wear their headress in the mess or anytwhere else required. IE, checking ID, or doing rounds in their own ‘tour of duty‘.

Cheers,

Wes

Originally posted by Wesley H. Allen, CD:
[qb] Personnel on ‘duty‘ such as the MPs or the Duty CPL, Duty SGT or Duty Offr will wear their headdress in the mess or anywhere else required. IE, checking ID, or doing rounds in their own ‘tour of duty‘.

Cheers,

Wes [/qb]
Wes in my 28 the only time I‘ve seen the O/Cpl.,O/O etc wear their head dress is when the Mess has had a function and load‘s of Snivies are about or at a School other wise in a normal mess the remove their head dress and even the Meat Head‘s do or did do.

As it was put to me, you‘re allowed to wear your headress in the mess if you‘re enforcing somthing... so the MPs checking ID would fall under this category, or anyone else enforcing any military or civillian law.

I was told that the mess is a tribute to the dead of your unit. Removing your headress is a sign of respect to the soldiers of your unit who have died.

Re Sapper Earl‘s reply most duty personel will remove their head dress when entering a mess. At least that was the drill when I was in the Army many years ago. Many of the things we do may seem old fashioned but that is what seperates us from civilians.

Back