• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Highland Light Infantry of C, Normandy 1944

dfuller52

Inactive
Reaction score
I had such tremendous and immediate success with another post on the Argylls, I am sending this one to the group as well. I have been reading up on the HLIofC to find out about two other Malvern Collegiate grads who fell in Normandy. Howard Powell Kidd and Jphn Reeve 'Jack;' Taylor. I have read up a bit about the regt's moves at the time and will be consulting Bloody Buron for more detail when it arrives at my local library. In the meantime, have any of you found references to these fellows?

Kidd was killed on July 8, which probably puts him among the 260+ who fell in the battle for Buron. Taylor was killed earlier, on June 13 and I haven't tracked his unit's movements that day yet.

I read that a group of HLI were sent to join the British for a spell after they came up as a reserve brigade. Does anyone know about this?

I have the CWGC entries for them.

I'll repeat what I said in the other thread - Stacey's histoy of WWII will let you trace the big picutre events involving the units, inlcuding any attachments out or in.

I have just had a quick look at Bloody Buron, which confirms the dates you have. While the rest of the detail is a bit sketchy for 13 June, you should be able to get a feel for the period by reading it. I am not trying to be lazy; the book is such a good read that I feel you will enjoy experiencing it for the first time.

Thanks, I have a copy of Stacey from the library here at York U and now I have the PDF copy as well thanks to the link you provided. This is where I learned about the detachment but there was no further reference to it.

I heard Bloody Buron was an excellent account, so I look forward to reading it.

I will post a copy of the story I plan to write on my research which is proving to be quite fascinating - there's even a connection between one of my subjects (RCAF Sgt. Morris Murray) to the only VC awarded on D-Day - but more on that later!

Back