• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heres one for a Recruiter

Robbie4296

Inactive
Reaction score
Just for a moment lets say someone has a Prohibition of firearms order but the Order is worded as such:

"Prohibited from possesing firearms, crossbows, ammunition, explosives etc except within the employment of Canadian Armed Forces and under the Canadian Armed Forces directions and guidelines".

Now 1st question has anyone seen this? and what were the results?
2nd what are the chances of the guy getting in?

The way I see it is the guy cant have any firearms except if he/she is in the CF and it should not be a problem.

All feedback welcomed, but prefer facts instead of guesses

not a lawyer here, but if it says in writing that he's aloud to use firearms as a member of the CF then he's able to use em'!

I'm out of my lane, but I'm sure thats probably more applicable if you were already serving within the CF.  One of the requirements to join is to free of any legal obligations.  I could be wrong, but that sounds like a legal obligation to me. 

Not a lawyer

If that is in fact the exact wording then I understand that as meaning that he use a firearm in the performance of his duties in the Canadian Forces. Now issue would be, as Stacked said, why does he have such a prohibition, if he has been convicted of a crime, and since we are referring to firearms, possibly violent, then the Canadian Forces are going to probably want to take a good hard look at him before deciding if he is reliable and in a capacity to serve in the Canadian Forces.

Silverfire, I am by no means an expert at all in this, but legal obligations sounds to me like ongoing court cases for example, i.e. you have been charged with drunk driving and are waiting to go to court for it. Or if you are on probation or parole, as you would be under certain obligations of your probation/parole terms.

Robbie4296 said:
Just for a moment lets say someone has a Prohibition of firearms order but the Order is worded as such:
This is Section 109 Criminal Code I have shortened it a bit and condensed

"Prohibited from possesing firearms, crossbows, ammunition, explosives etc except within the employment of Canadian Armed Forces and under the Canadian Armed Forces directions and guidelines".

First off,

I just read off the Justice Canada Website, and I do not read anywhere in Section 109 that there is an exception to the order when the person is a member of the Canadian Forces.

This is what Section 109 says:

Prohibition Orders

Mandatory prohibition order

109. (1) Where a person is convicted, or discharged under section 730, of
(a) an indictable offence in the commission of which violence against a person was used, threatened or attempted and for which the person may be sentenced to imprisonment for ten years or more,
(b) an offence under subsection 85(1) (using firearm in commission of offence), subsection 85(2) (using imitation firearm in commission of offence), 95(1) (possession of prohibited or restricted firearm with ammunition), 99(1) (weapons trafficking), 100(1) (possession for purpose of weapons trafficking), 102(1) (making automatic firearm), 103(1) (importing or exporting knowing it is unauthorized) or section 264 (criminal harassment),
(c) an offence relating to the contravention of subsection 5(1) or (2), 6(1) or (2) or 7(1) of the Controlled Drugs and Substances Act, or
(d) an offence that involves, or the subject-matter of which is, a firearm, a cross-bow, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any ammunition, any prohibited ammunition or an explosive substance and, at the time of the offence, the person was prohibited by any order made under this Act or any other Act of Parliament from possessing any such thing,
the court that sentences the person or directs that the person be discharged, as the case may be, shall, in addition to any other punishment that may be imposed for that offence or any other condition prescribed in the order of discharge, make an order prohibiting the person from possessing any firearm, cross-bow, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device, ammunition, prohibited ammunition and explosive substance during the period specified in the order as determined in accordance with subsection (2) or (3), as the case may be.
Duration of prohibition order — first offence

(2) An order made under subsection (1) shall, in the case of a first conviction for or discharge from the offence to which the order relates, prohibit the person from possessing
(a) any firearm, other than a prohibited firearm or restricted firearm, and any crossbow, restricted weapon, ammunition and explosive substance during the period that
(i) begins on the day on which the order is made, and
(ii) ends not earlier than ten years after the person’s release from imprisonment after conviction for the offence or, if the person is not then imprisoned or subject to imprisonment, after the person’s conviction for or discharge from the offence; and
(b) any prohibited firearm, restricted firearm, prohibited weapon, prohibited device and prohibited ammunition for life.
Duration of prohibition order — subsequent offences

(3) An order made under subsection (1) shall, in any case other than a case described in subsection (2), prohibit the person from possessing any firearm, cross-bow, restricted weapon, ammunition and explosive substance for life.
Definition of “release from imprisonment”

(4) In subparagraph (2)(a)(ii), “release from imprisonment” means release from confinement by reason of expiration of sentence, commencement of statutory release or grant of parole.
Application of ss. 113 to 117

(5) Sections 113 to 117 apply in respect of every order made under subsection (1).
R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 109; R.S., 1985, c. 27 (1st Supp.), s. 185(F); 1991, c. 40, s. 21; 1995, c. 39, ss. 139, 190; 1996, c. 19, s. 65.1; 2003, c. 8, s. 4.

Second,

What I believe you read and misinterpreted could be many things, such as Section 113 Subsection 1(b):

113. (1) Where a person who is or will be a person against whom a prohibition order is made establishes to the satisfaction of a competent authority that
(a) the person needs a firearm or restricted weapon to hunt or trap in order to sustain the person or the person’s family, or
(b) a prohibition order against the person would constitute a virtual prohibition against employment in the only vocation open to the person,

Or it could be Section 117.08

117.08 Notwithstanding any other provision of this Act, but subject to section 117.1, no individual is guilty of an offence under this Act or the Firearms Act by reason only that the individual
(a) possesses a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any prohibited ammunition or an explosive substance,
(b) manufactures or transfers, or offers to manufacture or transfer, a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device, any ammunition or any prohibited ammunition,
(c) exports or imports a firearm, a prohibited weapon, a restricted weapon, a prohibited device or any prohibited ammunition,
(d) exports or imports a component or part designed exclusively for use in the manufacture of or assembly into an automatic firearm,
(e) alters a firearm so that it is capable of, or manufactures or assembles any firearm with intent to produce a firearm that is capable of, discharging projectiles in rapid succession during one pressure of the trigger,
(f) fails to report the loss, theft or finding of any firearm, prohibited weapon, restricted weapon, prohibited device, ammunition, prohibited ammunition or explosive substance or the destruction of any such thing, or
(g) alters a serial number on a firearm,
if the individual does so on behalf of, and under the authority of, a police force, the Canadian Forces, a visiting force, within the meaning of section 2 of the Visiting Forces Act, or a department of the Government of Canada or of a province.
1995, c. 39, s

Point is, your condensed version of the law was way off, and gave a construed view of the application of Section 109. 

[/quote]
Now 1st question has anyone seen this? and what were the results?
2nd what are the chances of the guy getting in?

The way I see it is the guy cant have any firearms except if he/she is in the CF and it should not be a problem.

All feedback welcomed, but prefer facts instead of guesses[/quote]

The way you see it is wrong,

According to the law, you will not be entered into the Canadian Forces if you have an order against you that prohibits you from possessing a firearm for a number of reasons.

1. The prohibition of possession of a firearm against an individual would beg the question why that person has that prohibition, and would bring that individuals character into question.

2. The individual has a legal order against him/her preventing them from carrying out their duties as a member of the Canadian Forces.

Thats the way I read it.

And for those who are gonna read Section 117 and say that it says when acting on behalf of the Canadian Forces. That only applies if you are there in the first place, and is there to protect an individual who is a member of the CF carrying out his/her duties, and as such can not be charged for a firearms offence.

Edit: to add the Link to the Justice Canada website: http://laws.justice.gc.ca/eng/C-46/20100708/page-3.html?rp2=SEARCH&rp3=SI&rp1=Canadian%20Forces&rp4=all&rp9=cs&rp10=L&rp13=50

For MP Bound.

Your right, after reading my post kinda laughed,should never have posted that Section 109 thingy, basically my post was an example of a order "After being amended" from the original order 10 years ago.
Basically this guy was charged 10 years ago for assault 2nd one and  and 10 years later wanted to join the CF and had the order amended and the order and was  was worded like I posted or a variation.
And your right again after looking at it again I think the guys going to have problems, he has a standing life time ban for Firearms, I would suggest to him not to amend it but to get it removed!!!because no matter what the order says its still a legal obligation in the court.
Thanks MP  good feedback.

Yes did mistype it very long day

Called the recruiting center today to get a little more info on this topic, here are the results.

Some say as most, since their is a order it is considered a obligation and being for life pretty serious. And some say since its a case where the order allows a person for Employment that would have to be discussed with the Unit Commader as to why the person doesnt find himself a threat.

As I talked more with him I found out he went back in front of the Judge a while ago and got the order changed from the Original order, 10 years ago he didnt want to join the CF but now does, so after lots of work he got the order amended to allow him only to have firearms only for employment.

It seems like a real fine line.
Thanks for input everyone!!!

I am sure he has got all the info he needs

Hi,

Seeing this post I went into the office and reviewed about twenty firearms prohibitions. I found none that was even remotely similar to what is in the initial post. Further more I asked my co-workers if they had ever seen an amended condition along those lines- no one had.

I fail to see how the only vocation available to this person would be the Canadian Forces. Over and above that I would hope that they would be deemed unsuitable for employment having demonstrated such poor judgement in the past. Of course the second part of that is speculation on my part. 109 AND 113 of the Criminal Code along with notes in the "annotations" repeatedly state that the prohibition can be varied for a case where the prohibition stops a person from getting employment in the ONLY vocation available.

I would argue that the SPIRIT of such an exemption for vocation is to cover individuals who trap and hunt for a living along with outfitters.

Id be curious to see this document and know more about it. Thanks for giving me something to look for.

You will not find this exact wording of this guys order in the Criminal Code, as MP Bound has pointed out that 117 directly points to someone allready in the CF which makes sense.
This is very simple actually, the guy wants to join the Cf and went before the Judge and got the order amended to a exception, basically if hes not employed by the CF he is not allowed firearms, if he wanted to join the Police Iam sure he would had that put on there as well. Maybe Iam explaining it wrong but its no different than having a Probation order and having it changed as your situation changes. Amendments and Variations to orders happen all the time.

Not attacking your comment or yourself but to say unsuitable for employment for poor judgement in the past, well I don't have all the word's for that, but I will say maybe you are used to seeing just black and white and judging people  by whats on paper which is in my opinion wrong. I have known this guy for 15years and he's a excellent guy, one of his good friends is the ex Superintendent of the Edmonton Police Force, and has many friends in the Military and Police Force who are his references on his  application in the CF, and if you read the Section 109 you will see that this is a Mandatory Prohibition and his was not for misuse of Firearms it was a assault that occurred 10years ago and 10years ago the order was attached (Mandatory)with his sentence 30 days to be served on weekends(not a real hard criminal now is he) Iam sure if it was that bad the Crown would have asked for more of a secure sentence, like I said before 10 years ago have passed and it's not like the guy was a career criminal, he walked into his mothers drunk B/F  beating the crap out of her, so I guess he gave a bit of a *** kicking himself to the B/F before the police came, both were charged, but I guess maybe in your world he should have just said stop and hope he would stop and call the police to avoid bad judgement.

Don't take me wrong and hope I am not offending you , but I have my own troubled past which I have cleaned up and have become a very active member of society, and look forward to a bright future, and by what you said basically says to me not to give me a chance even though I have dramatically changed but because I showed bad judgement 10 years ago.

Now back on topic , I believe the order is worded as Section 109.3 or 109.2(b)and at the end of it, it says "except in the case of Employment with the Canadian Armed Forces under their directions and Guidelines" this quotation was added later this year after he went before the Judge and pleaded that he wanted to join the CF and the Original order prevented him from doing that, so the Judge changed it on his Order, not the Criminal Code. I think if a Judge seen that he made a change after 10years why cant the CF?

I hope this clears it up a bit, because either Iam wording it wrong or there is way to much over thinking going on.

Container said:
Hi,

Id be curious to see this document and know more about it. Thanks for giving me something to look for.

I will Pm you  regarding the document, I will try to talk to my friend to give me more details to send to you

It actually is different than having a probation order or an undertaking varied. The conditions are much more strict and a Justice is limited in the discretion he can use for amending it. Thats why the section exists and why there is a section that defines it along with the only two possible exceptions to the rule. Unlike probation and undertakings where the latitude is huge.

As for weekend sentencing and determing the "hardness" of his criminality- I have very good friends that are very good people that made mistakes.

I would not however arm them and allow them to make split second decisions. The best predictor of future criminality is past criminality. Just like the best predictor of future behavior is past behavior. I am not saying that your friend would not be an excellent addition to the service. However- given his past in my opinion and in the opinion of many others, he cannot be given the opportunity to make that mistake.

Im not sure where the CF is these days on these types of things but I can tell you that getting a judge to grant you an exception on a firearms prohibition so you can go join the police would not get you past the recruiters desk. This does however remind me of Cst. Alooloo in NWT who is currently attempting to have an exception placed on his firearms prohibition (for assaulting a prisoner) to allow him to continue to work. So far it has been shot down but I'll keep an eye on it now having read this thread.

Im glad you decided to "clean up". I also had a touch and go history as a youth and could have quite easily have found myself in your friends shoes. But unfortunately in this life there are times when you have crossed lines and will have consequences. It boils down to the fact that you are not entitled to serve in the forces. It is an honor and a privilege. Just as serving my community, and Canadians in general, is a privilage for me. I am however not entitled to such a priviliage and had to earn it.

I harbor no ill towards your friend. In fact I hope he finds work that enriches him and makes him satisfied. I also welcome him to prove me wrong should he make it into the forces.

However given recidivism statistics, criminality predictors, and my own experience with people who exercise poor judgement over their tempers (and that it what your friend demonstrated) I dont believe this is what i would expect from a member of the military.

That being said- 10 years is a long time.

Section 117 is about returning seized firearms to the queen or other real owner. What does that have to do with anything?

As an aside-

I pulled out my year 2000 criminal code for context- your friend was twice convicted of an INDICTABLE offence where violence was involved. The first INDICTABLE offence netted him a ten year prohib. He then committed a second INDICTABLE offence where violence was used and received a lifetime prohib.

Crown election for proceeding by INDICTMENT is reserved for SERIOUS crimes. The general rule of thumb is that summary conviction= lesser and indictable conviction=more serious. Its not that simple but your friends incidents were definately more than trifling mistakes.

As for MP Bound. You cannot whip open a 2010 criminal code and read the sections for direction on a matter ten years old. It requires that you return to the source. In this case its Section 100 of the Criminal Code (2000).

As for your insinuation that in "my world" he should have just said "stop"- I wont engage in a wang measuring contest but if your friend used force appropriate to the situation he would not have been charged. Anyone can use force to stop an attack- I do it all the time. And guess what- Ive yet to be convicted of an indictable offence. Im sure your intent wasnt to offend me so I'll ignore the immediate suggestion I took from it. I as well am not trying to offend you.

We must simply just disagree. I've shared my position, and I respect yours. Again you've given me lots to consider and I appreciate it.

Been considering this for most of the night- I am of the opinion that since he now has no legal objection to enrolling he should be free to apply like everyone. he should be assessed like the other candidates and should he be the best choice he should be selected. That being said- this is a huge factor, the criminal past ( long ago though it was) and should be weighed heavily. He should be ready to knock their socks off if this is what he really wants.

He is free to apply. And the cf is free to make its mind upabout what is most certainly a unique situation.

Isn't there a joke like that? " first we will have a fair trial- and then we' ll hang the bastard!"

it isn't as simple as I made it to be " black and white" and I apologize if i trivialized it somehow.

Very good reply, you have some excellent points, I think the situation differs from officer to officer, where you might not charge someone others might charge them, from personal experience in Toronto, many police officers say " if he/she said you did it you must have and let a judge sort it out" I do find the RCMP a little more"lets get to the bottom of this on the scene" than Toronto Police,they are a little more ball busting , but doesnt mean better, so maybe thats one problem.

But your also right no wang contest here, just worked very hard to get to where Iam at and got a little flustered at that one comment, people do change and my life choices have been in the direction of Cf and Police Force, Ive done a 360 in my life, we were all young and dumb, we all did some sort of dumb s&*% which we now pay for 10+ years later. Thats also why I applied for my Pardon, past is the past.
Wish their were more Law Enforcement guys like you.

Container said:
He is free to apply. And the cf is free to make its mind upabout what is most certainly a unique situation.

it isn't as simple as I made it to be " black and white" and I apologize if i trivialized it somehow.

Iam sure he will knock the socks off, he has got letters from Edmonton Police Personell, Military,and  ex Super to the Edmonton Police Force as well as Volunteer  work , Shriners, etc

oops cant get my quotes right

Robbie4296 said:
Very good reply, you have some excellent points, I think the situation differs from officer to officer, where you might not charge someone others might charge them, from personal experience in Toronto, many police officers say " if he/she said you did it you must have and let a judge sort it out" I do find the RCMP a little more"lets get to the bottom of this on the scene" than Toronto Police,they are a little more ball busting , but doesnt mean better, so maybe thats one problem.

But your also right no wang contest here, just worked very hard to get to where Iam at and got a little flustered at that one comment, people do change and my life choices have been in the direction of Cf and Police Force, Ive done a 360 in my life, we were all young and dumb, we all did some sort of dumb s&*% which we now pay for 10+ years later. Thats also why I applied for my Pardon, past is the past.
Wish their were more Law Enforcement guys like you.
You're right, past is past. That said, you have to be aware that it is still an issue. If two of the exact same people applied for the same position, and had the same educational background, experience, and personality, except one had an assault charge that restricted their use of firearms, and the other didn't, I'd hire the one without the record.

I agree that everyone does dumbsh*t when they're young, but assault related to a weapon is far and beyond regular dumbsh*t, in my humblest opinion. Most youngsters have done something stupid, but very few of them have an assault charge and are prohibited from using firearms.

Nauticus said:
You're right, past is past. That said, you have to be aware that it is still an issue. If two of the exact same people applied for the same position, and had the same educational background, experience, and personality, except one had an assault charge that restricted their use of firearms, and the other didn't, I'd hire the one without the record.

I agree that everyone does dumbsh*t when they're young, but assault related to a weapon is far and beyond regular dumbsh*t, in my humblest opinion. Most youngsters have done something stupid, but very few of them have an assault charge and are prohibited from using firearms.

Couldn't agree with you more, just to be honest with the forum, that whole entire post was about my situation,  I just did not want the whole forum knowing to much of my personal business, but the variance to the order as of today was not accepted, file closed, legal obligations are legal obligations even if they are for Employment,not a big shocker when 3/4 plus telling you it wont get accepted, but I tried and will continue to try, I should have just spent the time to get it removed totally, a Pardon doesnt even cover Prohibition of Firearms, so it's back to the drawing board, filing more papers to the courts, aranging character witnesses and bringing in documents supporting lifting the Prohibition(case law if I can).

I have already typed out a Letter of Release for my File Manager to give her permission to release some info to the Judge as she sees fit, example: I actually applied, etc.

This is just a delay the way I see it, Iam still holding positive thoughts and the quiker I get on this, the quicker I can reapply.

Robbie4296 said:
Couldn't agree with you more, just to be honest with the forum, that whole entire post was about my situation,

I would have never guessed. You are the first person to come on here and ask a question about a "freind".

[/sarcasm]

Back