• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Heading to the UK - Need Advice

Devlin

Inactive
Reaction score
My civi job is sending me over to the UK (London and specifically Egham) for a week at the end of the month. I will be there over the course of a weekend. Any advice on what to check out, I plan to do the usual tourist thing (Big Ben, Change of the Guards etc) any insiders tips on pubs, messes I could get into, etc... would be welcomed.

Imperial War Museum.

Side trip outside of area to Bovington Tank Museum.

Both definite musts for the military enthusiast.

Covent Garden is great for Pubs, they've got a Canadian Pub there which is cool and in general is a very interesting trip not far from SOHO and the Theatre District.

I could go on at Length, I agree with the IWM though that place was absolutely amazing.

Weather won't be it's nicest which is a shame, but London's great, throw a rock in any direction and you'll find something you'll really like.

Thanks guys I think I will check out the IWM.

And no doubt I will hit a pub or two...full debrief to follow. ;)

There's one in covent garden that's a built into catacombs, you have to go down stairs into it, I believe it's called the Punch and Judy, smashing bangers and mash there.

Avoid JD Weatherspoons at ALL COSTS, it's like the Mcdonalds of pubs, unless you're going for cheap drinks avoid it like the plague.

judging from their website the war museum looks like a must see item. If they allow pictures I will drag a camera along and post some pics afterwards.

Thanks for the tips.

If you don't already have a hotel. Try the Victory Services Club. It is a hotel in the heart of London reserved for members of the British as well as commonwealth militaries. They offer discounted rates, and like I said it is fairly close to all of the big attractions. I forget the address, but they have a pretty good website if you want to check it out. I stayed there in 2003 after competing in the Cambrian  Patrol. The team had a good time there. The Canadian Embassy is close by if you want to check out the duty free shop. Make sure you have your military ID with you as well as your passport to get in though. Good luck!

Patrolman said:
If you don't already have a hotel. Try the Victory Services Club. It is a hotel in the heart of London reserved for members of the British as well as commonwealth militaries. They offer discounted rates, and like I said it is fairly close to all of the big attractions. I forget the address, but they have a pretty good website if you want to check it out. I stayed there in 2003 after competing in the Cambrian  Patrol. The team had a good time there. The Canadian Embassy is close by if you want to check out the duty free shop. Make sure you have your military ID with you as well as your passport to get in though. Good luck!
http://www.vsc.co.uk/

and a must for any canadianthe Maple Leaf Pub in Covent Garden!
http://www.coventgardenlife.com/places.asp?PlaceID=72

Imperial War Museum
http://www.iwm.org.uk/

Your link to London's Transportation system, very useful:
http://www.tfl.gov.uk/tfl/

Only because it's one of my obsessions in life, I'd go check out a rugby game if you know of any going on.   Seeing as Egham is in the west end, I'd go see London Irish at the Madjeski Stadium in Reading.   Apparently they put on a good show at home, and they're not doing to badly this year (bonus if you were to see them against London Wasps, Leicester Tigers, Sale Sharks).

Even if you're not well versed in the sport, I'd still say check it out.  It's a great atmosphere with more families and respectful (people still shhh chatterboxes even when the away team kicker is setting up!) fans than soccer matches, but still a with lively spirit.  Chanting and songs are common, beer flows, and the pies are good on a cold day.  I was shocked to be part of a half time 'sing along' at Memorial Stadium in Bristol where thousands of people were singing popular songs at half time.  NEVER see that in Canada!   Then after the match (any match) pop into the pub to have a few, chat with the locals, and even get to run into the pros.  There's a massive Canadian, Phil Murphy, who plays for Irish.  Not sure of their policy, but at Bristol the players stay in the clubhouse until 7pm to chat to fans, etc.  They're the model of how pro athletes should be!

Anyway, have a good trip.

+1 on the VSC, I've stayed there and it's got everything you need, and it's right next to Marble Arch tube station.

In addition to the attractions mentioned above, I'd recommend the Tower of London guided tours, they're excellent, all ex-SNCO's, they actually live inside the walls. Tower Bridge is right next to it, you can go up to the top, walk across, and see the inner workings, very cool.

Also, if you're a little twisted like me The London Dungeon (near London Bridge) is outstanding. The role players who guide you through do an excellent job of describing London's often brutal past...

And if you buy a visitor's transit pass online before you leave Canada you can get around town for almost nothing compared to paying full-fare for the tube and the bus, you print off the receipt and pick up the pass at one of the major tube stations, easy!

I lived in Egham for a year, so I may be a little bit of help.

First off, Egham is quite literally a stones throw from Windsor castle. You can easily catch a bus from Egham (the stop is right behind the High Street in Egham, in the middle of the parking lot behind Iceland) and its only a couple of pounds, but it doesn't run on Sundays). Take a castle tour, its well worth it.

I second the motion on seeing a London Irish game in Reading. A buddy of mine was a huge fan and we went to a game there. An absolute blast to say the least. Egham is on the main line between Waterloo Stn and Reading, just about half way. It should be about a 45-50 min train ride.

A quick hint. If your home base is going to be Egham and you want to get into London, take the train and get a travel card. They're only about 9.50 GBP and will get you to and from London Waterloo Station and includes an all-zones underground card. It'll save you a mint. You jet into London (about a 45 minute train ride if you catch the express train-just look for the train with less stops) and you can go anywhere you want to within London that day. Last train back from Waterloo is some time around 11:30 if I recall.

The best pub in town is the Crown. Just before the High Street starts, across the road from the Chip shop (which isn't very good by the way). It's got great food and usually a tonne of seating space.

If you have any questions about Egham, just PM me.

Patrick

1.  Don't drink the water.
2.  Don't eat the food.
3.  Don't have any interaction with the locals.

;D

Tom

don't try to drive in london unless you are an outstanding navigator... I went in with only a laptop with mapping software... road signs are rare... got a black cab to guide me to my hotel after 4 hours driving around... Big ben is a decent land mark though... Tube system is probably the best in the world

if you get a chance you might want to catch the phantom of the opera... trafalgar's square has a bunch of neat stuff to check out including the Sherloch holmes pub...

Recommend the Ghosts by the Gaslight tour...

Dont bother trying to drive in London.  Foot power is faster, the tube is faster.  Top Gear, a motoring programme, had a competition between a car driving a marathon and fellow running it in central London.  The runner won.
The tube will take you places where you can hire a car from (Heathrow is furtherest out), so if you want to see anywhere outside London take the train or rent a car from the outskirts.  You also save the 8 pound congestion charge that you will get dinged with driving a car in central London.

A couple of other things to see is HMS Belfast, a cruiser moored in the Thames, fairly near the Tower and the Dungeon.  As well St Clements Dane church is nice to see, free admitance and it is the chapel for Commonwealth Airforces.  As such it has the crests of all the squadrons (UK, Aus, Canada, etc) in the floor and is nice spot to stop and have a bit of quiet time in central London.  Its around a 10 minute walk from Trafalgar Square up the Strand.

Oh, and if you want a neat little break stop into the Royal Coursts of Justice, ask the security guard if there are any good criminal cases and you can stop in and watch them.  Good theatre and classic old court rooms.  Only place I think you could hear, "The gentleman was idea new citizen of the country until his crack cocaine addiction lead to him dealing in it..."

A restaurant suggestion, if you like chinese food, is the Royal China in Notting Hill.  Best I've had anywhere and lots of it.  As for a pub, I spent a fair bit of time at the Bear and Staff and was never disappointed.  Its on the Charring Cross Road, not far from the Theatre district.  If you have the time, Shakespeare's Globe Theatre is a good tour and if you can get in a performance all the better.  Vinopolous was probably my favourite way to blow an afternoon (the world museum of wine, can't go wrong there) Wine to be had from every Region in the world.  Close to that is the Burough Market (sp), excellent selection of local fare for a quick bite.

Back