• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Have 4 months to kill. Are there jobs starting now?

C

CyAnide

Hey all, Im 17 and currently out of high school. I dropped my semester because I slept in a little too much and lets say the school didnt approve of my pressance. I have about 4 months of nothing to do and Im looking at the army to help resolve my free time issue. Also being 17 I must mention I aint in the best shape of my life. Im weak and I smoke, but like any other person I want to improve on myself and make some money while Im at it.

Im not currently looking at the Army as a long term solution to life. I have a plan to go into computer graphics or programming. So I also plan to finish my highschool and goto colledge. Do something good before my oppertunity passes me. I live in Burlington Ontario and when I was in grade 11 we got a private and a corpral come to my old Catholic school recruiting for field artillery. I like most others was interested in it, but time got in the way of things and I never got a chance to join. Now having nothing to do Im rethinking.

Well my biggest queston of all is where could I join? Living in Burlington I know that there is a naval base outside my apartment window overlooking Hamilton Harbour but Im not looking to join the navy, I aint a fish and from the two Canadian boats that I seen, one was send to Hamilton because it was too old and the other one had a chopper crash into it.

Also how long will recruitment take and when will it start? I plan to goto summer school so Im not looking to miss summer. I just want to fit my time in the army with the four months that I have.

Can I possibly fail in the army? Well this is my second question since I'm 6'3 weigh around 150-60 and on top of that I smoke. Basically meaning if I run a bit too long I might get a stroke and turn colors.

Can the Army offer me a schoolarship in any colledge of my choice? Well Im asking this because if I join I need to finish school right after and that goto colledge so if not than I guess I could become an officer...

Well thats about it really. Ill check this later for some answers.  :warstory:

Kamil, the short answer is "no", the army is not going to fill your four-month gap with immediate opportunities for employment.

The recruiting process can take anywhere from one month to a year depending on the individual‘s case.

If you want to consider the military for part-time employment (with the Reserves) or full-time employment after you graduate (The Regular Force) I suggest you take some of your free time and visit your local recruiter to explore the options open to you.

Keep in mind that the military emphasizes the importance of education as much as any employer. If you do join, you will find that the soldier spends more time in basic training courses in the classroom as he/she does in the field or on firing ranges. The Army is certainly no escape from lectures, note-taking, studying, tests or early mornings. If these are the things that make school so undesirable for you right now, then perhaps the Army is not what you‘re looking for at this time.

Try these for a starting point for your inquiries:

CANADIAN FORCES RECRUITING CENTRE HAMILTON
100 MAIN ST E
HAMILTON ON L8N 3W4

31 Canadian Brigade Group
http://www.army.dnd.ca/LFCA_HQ/LFCA/English/Organization/31CBG_e.shtm#ASH%20OF%20C%20HAMILTON

Mike

Yes, I think that you are perfect officer material. Join up now and tomorrow you‘ll be in! :D

Seriously though, the CF doesn‘t seem to be the right place for you. It‘s not a passtime or a hobby, but rather a career and a place to learn new skills and develop; and it is for this reason that half-measures will not do. You need to be fit, mentally capable, and personally dedicated. (cr@p, I sound like my dad!!)

If you are interested in finding out more about the CF (and I‘m thinking that you are more interested in the Res Force than Reg Force), you should go see the Lorne Scots -- I believe that they have a company in Oakville. You could also go to Hamilton and look up the Argylls, the RHLIs, and the 11th Field (Arty). There are also Service and Medical units in Hamilton and area.

The recruitment process will take months -- I‘m talking (at best!!!) 4 to 8 months. You need to do the tests (medical, fitness, apptitude) and interviews at the Reg. Scheduling and doing these does not happen over night; there is a back-log and it may take two months to get through.

And, in all liklihood, you‘ve missed this year‘s window to get in for summer training (which you indicate that you can‘t go on because of summer school). That doesn‘t mean all Reg‘s are closed. You just might have wheel and deal to get in -- that is, if you really want it.

I think you really need to take a hard long look at what you really want to do. If this is just some sort of whilly-nilly decision, you may want to re-think it before you waste your (and other peoples‘) time.

If you are really interested in getting in, you should inquire about your highschool‘s CF co-op programme. That way you can get credits and experience the CF all at the same time. I think that this would be your best option.

I agree with the above posters. If you‘re really
serious about this the first thing you need to
do is get accustomed to waking up at or before
0500 hours (5 a.m.)

Your fitness level will definately need to be there.
You don‘t sound overweight, in fact underweight.

I‘m 5‘10" and 200 lbs (for those of you who know
me personally, guess you never thought I
acutally weighed that much eh? ;) ). Get used to
running. Start slow, build up endurance. Your
goal (regardless of what the fitness requirements
are for the CF) is to do 10km in under 48 mins .
(just to note: I haven‘t reached that goal yet
either)

If smoking is preventing you from doing that,
then you have to decide.. smoking or the forces.
Smoking itself will not prevent you from joining.

We all can give you a rosy picture of the Army,
but that won‘t be doing you any favours. The
courses you will go through are going to be hard,
both mentally and physically. Be prepared to be
pushed harder than anything you have ever
experienced in high school. It‘s meant to be that
way. Self-discipline, fitness and teamwork is
paramount to succeeding in the Army. Lack in
any one of those areas and you might as well
go home. The only consolation we can give you is
that if you pass your courses in the Army, you‘ll
come out a better man than you ever thought
possible.

Kamil
You are the reason, our military is going down. Your questions just show, why you slept through HS. Your are a F^&*ing dumb dumb. What drugs are you doing? Fit in 4 months of my time F^&*>

If you are really interested in getting in, you should inquire about your highschool‘s CF co-op programme. That way you can get credits and experience the CF all at the same time. I think that this would be your best option.
I‘ve heard about this , but no one has ever told me about this. How does it work ? I‘d sure like to gain an extra credit....

Thanks for all your oppinions guys. Your all right and I cant argue. I am still considering the army though, and I do want to finish my highschool. I know now that I cant do this so fast, so I guess I‘ll get in better shape first and find another part time job.

Thanks all and later.

No doubt about it, Recce41 has won the quote of the day contest: :D

Your are a F^&*ing dumb dumb. What drugs are you doing? Fit in 4 months of my time F^&*>
Always the gentle touch. If that doesn‘t scare away the kid, I don‘t know what will!

Kamil,

No offence, but...

Grow up.

Do that, and we‘d welcome you at RMC (Royal Military College) where you can get your education (university, not college) paid for, in exchange for service in the forces.

Im also certain the NCM ranks would welcome you with open arms should you decide to actually think before opening your mouth.

While Recce41 was perhaps a bit bold in his statement.... You , and people with the same mentality as you, are an increasing part of the problem with both the internal morale in the forces, the decline in human resources, and our perception in the public (which directly influences morale).

The forces arent a "time filler". I doubt you will find any serious military personnel who take kindly to you saying you look at the forces as a "time filler". Granted, I go to school with several such idiots... but I can guarantee you that their colleagues do not necssarily support them.

First, finish high school. If you cant do that, and given the fact that you cant get your butt out of bed, you dont belong defending our country.

Sorry for being blunt. But we are getting more and more people in that don‘t even stay their contract. Because they show up and wait JTF or Ranger and you tell them, sorry troop. But you to short in time or your in the wrong army.
It‘s hurting us as a whole. You start training and then bam their gone. Training again, again etc. Logistik Thanks HAHA.

Of course, the reason more and more people are failing to complete even their basic engagement could be attributed to some of the attitudes being expressed by personnel who hold themselves out to be part of the leadership of the Army. Has the whole concept of nurturing and developing soldiers fallen by the wayside and been replaced by "You‘re weak, dumb and acting like a kid. I don‘t have time for that so don‘t even bother talking to me and don‘t even consider joining "my" Army." Thankfully, from what at least one has previously posted, it will no longer be "your" Army in the near future.

As for the comment about the Forces not being a time filler. I know a lot of people who joined up to give themselves some time to sort out what they were going to do with their lives only to be at it years and years later because they found out it was actually what they wanted to do with their life. On the other hand, I‘ve also known guys who‘ve joined up with the intention of going the long haul who realize quite quickly that it‘s time to get out. You never know where the path will lead you.

Thanks to those who actually took the time to give Kamil some reasoned, if perhaps hard to hear, advice.

You don‘t seriously believe that some guy that can‘t even get up in the morning has what it takes to become a soldier? When I first read his post I thought it was a lame attempt at comedy! Perhaps in future the automatic response should be "just go down to your local recruiter....they‘ll sort you out." :)

It‘s my belief that we all wear multiple hats (personalities??). When I was attending university, I purposedly scheduled classes that began no earlier than 11am. The reasoning behind this was that I was (and still am) a sleep hog. But loe and behold, I have done the military thing for going on 10 years now. I‘ve done my 48 hours with negligible sleep, I‘ve seen 4am - 5am for morning PT! It‘s all a matter of attitude and personal drive. When you‘re on civi-time, you can be as lazy and slobbish as you like, so long as you can "switch" out of that mode and put on your military cap when the time calls for it.

Cdn Soldier
If a man wants to be nurtured, he can go see his mom. I‘m on my 23 yr of sevice, and started when a go kick in the a55 was a good thing. Soldiers now want the hung and kiss, BS. I also grew up in a military family, and know when a kick is needed. When I started that kick, made men. And more soldiers stayed in than now.I have yng soldiers come up and try to call me by my first name, are see a NCO or officer and say "hows it goin man". That is uter BS. I had a soldier on tour worry more about their **** camera, than their C8 during a riot in Bosnia. During this riot my veh was shot up, breaking the sights, spot light, and putting more holes in the addon armour.
When a soldier does not know what matters, he‘s gone. I lost three friends on tours. I prefer to not loose anymore.
So if a man or boy cannot take a lil kick or tongue lassing. He‘s should grow up.
And if your talking about me in your first paragraph, yes I maybe getting out. For I have kids at home to hung and kiss, not at work.

Also I got that punch in the chops from the Troop Sgt or WO, it didn‘t hurt me. I also got it worst, for most know my father.
I remember getting pulled off the top of a veh, and poked by the RSM for not seeing the CO as he when by.

Theres nothing like a good debate. Kamil, though your questions may have been innocent, it brings into question for several people how to determine or judge the quality of a potential soldier. Recce41 made valid points and CdnSoldier gave a another perspective.

I‘d say the quality of a potential soldier, in reference to the CAF, is the education/skills the recruit brings to the Force, the guts the individual has (potential emotional, mental, and phyisical strength), the actual strengths and training acquired during BMT and SQ. Only after SQ or the equivalent per MOC, does the soldier actually become useful.

If the perfert soldier is desired, then maybe like in the Kurt Russel movie "Soldier‘, they‘d artifically create the perfect physical specimen for the job. Until then, good old home-grown Canadian is what we‘ve got.

You can never judge a book by the cover. The potential of the individual is what needs to be tapped and resourced. The training and potential is what you‘ve got when you‘re on the battlefield and the bullets flying. I know thats simplified. But its true, when a situation is present, its the individuals that overcome,solve or deal with it that get the respect. To the new recruit or applicant, how do you judge their quality?

The difference between creampuff civie life and military life is great and to a majority of the recruits, they have no real idea. BMT can serve as that acid test . The training the soldier gets afterward and his evolution (measurable quality) is what I think Recce41 is getting at.

I agree prior military lifestyle and conditioning is desirable before applying to the CAF but civie life and military life are different. The individual‘s guts, training, attitude, and evolution is what‘s important to make him/her useful. Some people lack, others prevail.

Kamil, me , or anyone else who may decide to apply to the Forces, it seems you better know and understand what you want and how far you‘re willing to go to do it.

Recce41: Seems to me, you, as a Snr NCO and particularly as DS at a school, better figure out what the definition of nurture is prior to trying to bust my chops. Here‘s two definitions for you to ponder:

Funk and Wagnalls Standard Dictionary:

1) that which nourishes; food; sustenance. 2) training; breeding; education.

-tured -turing 1) feed or support; nourish. 2) bring up or train; educate.

Mirriam-Webster Online:

1 : Training, Upbringing
2 : something that nourishes : FOOD
3 : the sum of the influences modifying the expression of the genetic potentialities of an organism

Quite obviously I wasn‘t talking about food, so it must have been that training and educating bit. What you‘re talking about, the "huggy-touchy-feely", would be called coddling in the manner in which you‘ve used it.

I do, however agree with one sentiment of yours and that would be if an individual is not able to accept constructive criticism on how to better and improve themself, than by all means they should get out. On the other hand, I would also say that someone who was unable to give criticism in a constructive manner was more damaging to the CF than someone who refused to accept that criticism and they should be getting out.

Recce41 wrote in a prior post of this thread:

"Kamil
You are the reason, our military is going down. Your questions just show, why you slept through HS. Your are a F^&*ing dumb dumb. What drugs are you doing? Fit in 4 months of my time F^&*>"

Looking at it from another point of view, is this more or less true?

Listening to a CF Recruiter, he said recruits today are less physically tough, in poorer physcial shape, act more independantly, more impatient, and difficult for them to work as a team. He attributed it to computer/video games and people and families being more self involved and less physically active than in previous times.

As the NCM recruit goes through BMT, and off to SQ, then on to MOC specific and leadership courses, the military should change these major malfunctions (hehe) and evolve the soldier into something better. I don‘t know personally, but is this the general case or a symptom of a systemic
problem?

Cdnsoldier
I know what nurture means. I feel you are one of the NEW type of soldiers. That hate to be S^&* upon. You feel that I hurt your feelings.That you can call NCO/Offices by their first names. You have to have less than 5-8 yrs in. This is not directed at you but just a over view.
Soldiers in this group,are very self centred. I had a group of soldiers back in 96 the just walked away from a NCO and thought it was funny. As I posted a soldier, worried more for a **** camera, than its weapon,soldiers that say Hey man to a NCO/officer, soldiers when you tell them to do something look at you like you had two heads. Are what we are getting in.
In Gagetown at the Armour School, soldiers on SQ/DP1 didn‘t have to march, they drove their cars. There were 8-12 soldiers out of 24 on some kind of chit.You cannot CB them, their out at the Bar every night. And one just got caught for drugs.
When I went though, you ran everywhere, no cars even showed up in Petawawa, if you were on TQ3. I was CBed till week 6 out of 13. We could go to the Canex on Weekends, to shop and a coffee if the duty NCO desided to take the course (march the course). And to the Coriano Club from 6-8 but no beer just pop and TV and we had to sit in a corner, and if you were on a chit, you better be dieing. You had your heels together for a one hook Trooper and up.As for drugs, you were OOO so done.
A combat arms soldier is the hardest life you can have. My father always said the Army makes a man, but the combat arms makes you old man. I was down in Ft Knox KY, where the Armour School is, the US Army is going back to the Kick in the Pants. Recuit training, from OOO heres my lil yellow card. The British have never changed, and have some of the toughest soldiers. Our disipline in that repect has gone down.
I treat my daughters the same way, hard, for they have to growup and be strong. I don‘t beat them, don‘t get me wrong. But with hard love to go through life so they are not taken advantage of. We go camping, do sports together,go for walks and have taught them to respect people. My oldest is going though to be a supply tech, and sees the differance between a recuits. That families that sat a watched TV and video games To soldiers that were mentally and physically strong from their families, that went camping, did sports and made their kids be understanding of what life is.

Back