• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Has this ever happened to the Canadian Navy?

Cabral

Inactive
Reaction score
Came across this a few minutes ago LoL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zhx55e5GKSA&feature=related

Its an old urban legend with it being anywhere in the world but always involving the US Navy.

Interesting site that Snopes.

Even though this is an urban legend, let's not forget about the string of groundings of the late 70s. I was told there were a few "obstinate" navigators who insisted of doing things their way.

It makes for good TV. With todays radar and GPS as well as all the other aids to navigation we have I highly doubt this would happen.

Yes, snopes is rather interesting....a good read, and interesting to see how far back the story may go.

NS

FDO said:
It makes for good TV. With todays radar and GPS as well as all the other aids to navigation we have I highly doubt this would happen.

In the early days there was what we called “GPS assisted grounding” People used GPS not realizing that the datum used was different than that of the charts. Plus the Chart may have had an error in them, but never noticed before as most people doing coastal navigation would use the chart and carry the unknown error through their calculations thereby cancelling it out. Introduce GPS which would be centered outside of the Chart would expose the error. Throw in the fact that early civilian GPS was prone to significant random errors without the repeatability of errors that Loran C had.

Lots of very modern and well equipped ships still run aground , because of errors in seamanship, either inattention or not using all the tools that they have including the MkI window. Junior Officers get fixated on the radar and fail to notice the Island looming out the fog.

Back