• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Harper beats Stronach

Sh0rtbUs

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
well, Harper is the new Conservative Party leader. My question is, is this good or bad? To be honest, I havent researched them all that much. Anyone have any opinions on all this?

My kneejerk reaction is this: The Conservative leadership campaign represents everything that is wrong with Canadian politics in a microcosm.

Similar to when MGen Lew MacKenzie made a foray into politics, his "intrusion" was resented by the rank and file of the federal party - after all, the so-called "ruling elite" don‘t appreciate any challenges to their place at the public trough and they CERTAINLY don‘t want anybody with a proven track record leading their party ... (heck - voters might actually start realising what incompetents we‘ve had running our country for so long ...).

In both cases, I firmly believe these candidates would have been good choices - however, their campaigns were doomed from the start by nefarious sabotage from within the party itself (after all - can you believe John Laschinger‘s quote on the eve of the leadership vote? He said "... she hasn‘t made a major boner" - what was this incompetent ignoramus thinking ... ? Oh, then again - maybe we do know what he was thinking ... after all, this was his 17th leadership campaign ... so he knew only too well that Stronach was actually threatening to upset the apple cart, and that just wouldn‘t do ... heck - she might even have attracted some more competent people ... and put HIM out of a job ...).

The riding-by-riding results of the Conservative leadership vote are revealing - Stronach swept the first 80 or so ridings in the Atlantic and Quebec (alphabetically), but then got massacred in the Ontario "kill zone" (Ontario - home to the same sheep that vote Liberal every federal election ...). Stronach did good to come in second - I hope she runs again (but hopefully she‘ll hire some competent help next time ...).

It‘s a shame. We‘re stuck with a "political class" - you‘ll even hear youngsters in university mapping out their career path through local school trustee, municipal politics, provincial and then the "gravy train" - a couple of years in the House of Commons, and then retirement on a an exceedingly generous pension (much better than any pension received by a soldier who has risked their life for their country ...). Thus, we end up with politicians who‘ve never done anything but feast from the public trough, who depend upon their parliamentary paycheque and allowances (and as many junkets and perks they can squeeze from taxpayers‘ pockets). Thus you‘ll rarely (if ever) see any of them resigning over a point of honour (as an aside - I detest the practice of referring to them as "honourable members", since so many of them are the exact opposite ...).

And, for one last kick at the cat: Both Harper and Clement made much of their political experience, repeatedly pointing out Stronach had none.
Hmmm ... let me think ... what did Papa Doc Crouton and all his flunkies in the sponsorship scandal have in common ... ? Could it be ... political experience???
Yup - absolute power corrupts absolutely.

Amazing when you think that back in Sir John A‘s time polaticians didn‘t get paid at all...they had to have a day job as well as run the country. Kind of makes you think that they actually cared about the country instead of their own fat faces. :mad: That‘s why most of them were wealthy to begin with!

It certainly wasn‘t so the citizens of the country could makethem rich!

Have we ever had a revolution in Canada...Riele F#cked it up and the government remained...Maybe we should try again?! :D

We should give Belinda S. an honourary membership to this site and let her into the mess for a good round of "here‘s what we think!" :crybaby:

Slim

harper‘s ugly. i can‘t fantasize about what he looks like naked, what good is he?

Originally posted by nULL:
[qb] harper‘s ugly. i can‘t fantasize about what he looks like naked, what good is he? [/qb]
Never looked at it that way, but if you want too look at it that way... most politicians are 50+ I don‘t really feel like seeing them naked...

Well, may as well cancel the next Federal election and just give Paul Martin another five years, I don‘t think Harper has a prayer in Ontario realistically. The "Conservative Party" is now just a renamed Canadian Alliance.

Someone once told me something about the difficulty involved in polishing a turd. Seems appropriate.

P.S. Another stellar performance by Canadian voters ... only 37 per cent of the party‘s 252,000 members bothered to vote ... and Stronach‘s handlers apparently screwed up membership paperwork for several thousand ... (and, Harper‘s "overwhelming" win was only 700 votes more than the 50 per cent needed ... hmmm ... I‘m underwhelmed)

Originally posted by Redeye:
[qb] Well, may as well cancel the next Federal election and just give Paul Martin another five years, I don‘t think Harper has a prayer in Ontario realistically. The "Conservative Party" is now just a renamed Canadian Alliance.

Someone once told me something about the difficulty involved in polishing a turd. Seems appropriate. [/qb]
I don‘t think Harper has a prayer anywhere East of Ontario.

Originally posted by Redeye:
[qb] Well, may as well cancel the next Federal election and just give Paul Martin another five years, I don‘t think Harper has a prayer in Ontario realistically. The "Conservative Party" is now just a renamed Canadian Alliance.

Someone once told me something about the difficulty involved in polishing a turd. Seems appropriate. [/qb]
Exactly. New party needs new leadership. I liked Stronach. She would have been a welcome change from the Liberals, without being an alliance fascist. I suppose this means Martin is secure for most of this decade...blah...just blah...

"Amazing when you think that back in Sir John A‘s time polaticians didn‘t get paid at all...they had to have a day job as well as run the country. Kind of makes you think that they actually cared about the country instead of their own fat faces."

Yeah, and were all rich too, and could afford to to be politics and pay off their friends so they stayed rich. The reason they are paid is so us poor Canadians could run... If you think it elitist now just wait and see what happens if they remove pay.

[/qb][/QUOTE]Exactly. New party needs new leadership. I liked Stronach. She would have been a welcome change from the Liberals, without being an alliance fascist. I suppose this means Martin is secure for most of this decade...blah...just blah... [/QB][/QUOTE]

I dont think Stronach would have been much good, if you thought the gov‘t was corrupt and in the hands of big business‘s now if she got into power it would just be worse, (do you really think she would ignore her old company? can you say gov‘t contracts?) Besides there is only 1 reason she had a hope in hel l in that race, she has heaps of money. She bought the best team of campaign people money could buy (and they still managed to screw up, go figure)once more than that she wouldnt have all that money if it wasnt for her dear old daddy, he was the one who built the company and got it to what it is today, she wouldnt have been CEO or a multimillionaire if it wasnt for him.

Harper has experience (and i dont think hes gonna show up in a wetsuit to any campaign function so were safe there) for someone to run a country you need experience; Simple fact. theres a ladder here people, u cant just jump from the bottom and expect to be at the top even if u are a multimillionaire. Harper is the best man for the job and has the best chance of beating Martin. just my $0.02

Sorry - I disagree.
Federal politics under the Liberals have become so corrupt that the only way to change it is to clean house, and top down is the quickest way to achieve swift exorcism. Papa Doc Chretien‘s "legacy" was a perversion of power, proving once again that absolute power corrupts absolutely - the PMO‘s office overstepped its‘ bounds so far and so much, they could have been mistaken for a NASA probe to Mars ...

Sure, Harper has experience ... at being a loser, just like the rest of the Conservative Reform Alliance Party (hmmm ... didn‘t somebody with experience come up with that acronym ... ?)
Stronach, on the other hand, has the advantage of "a clean slate" - and, again I disagree - I suggest that it would be infinitely more difficult to buy her off, as compared to greedy slugs "with experience" (oh, like ... Tequila Sheila, or any of the other slimy toads presently squatting in Parliament counting the days until their Parliamentary pensions kick in ...).

Please, let‘s not diss her simply because her father is a multi-millionaire - good grief - that‘s nothing to sneer at - she had no choice in picking her parents - he‘s a success story, and hopefully she learned a few lessons from him.

Similarly, MGen Lew MacKenzie didn‘t have any experience within the federal Conservative Party, but he would have made a great Prime Minister.
Why?
Because he had leadership experience.

In this world of sin and sorrow if virtue triumphs over vice it is not because it is virtuous, but because it has better and bigger guns; if honesty prevails over double dealing, it is not because it is honest, but because it has a stronger army more ably led; and if good overcomes evil it is not because it is good, but because it has a well-lined purse. It is well to have right on our side, but it is madness to forget that unless we have might as well it will avail us nothing. We must believe that God loves men of good will, but there is no evidence to show that he will save fools from the results of their folly.
Somerset Maugham: Then as Now, 1946

Good post Bossi, personally I would have liked to see either Tony the Tory or Stronarch win as oppose to Harper. May be they would stand a chance in the East. I don‘t think Harper does.

Originally posted by absent_element:
[qb] Good post Bossi, personally I would have liked to see either Tony the Tory or Stronarch win as oppose to Harper. May be they would stand a chance in the East. I don‘t think Harper does. [/qb]
I‘m not sure about that, he did win support right across the country in the leadership race, I know that this is nothing like a general election but it shows that he does have support from coast to coast, but if it is enough support to derail the liberals next election, only time will tell.

spenco... you say he won support across the country?

P.S. Another stellar performance by Canadian voters ... only 37 per cent of the party‘s 252,000 members bothered to vote ...and, Harper‘s "overwhelming" win was only 700 votes more than the 50 per cent needed
by those rough numbers, not even 100,000 people voted for leadership, and so only approx. 50,000 people voted for Harper.

Harper‘s taint from the Reform party remains. "You may call a rat a pumpkin pie, but I still wouldn‘t eat the m***er-f***er"

As much as I enjoyed making fun of Stronach, I do believe she was the only real hope for the new Tories... Sometimes it is good to have a business person in charge. Makes fiscally responsible decisions.

I just hope everyone here makes their views known on election day...

Oh absolutely! What a shame it would be not to exercise one‘s democratic privileges.

;)

Spenco - I can‘t sit back and let you assert that Harper "... does have support from coast to coast".
The riding-by-riding results are available at the Conservative Party website.
Harper did not get very much support in Atlantic or Quebec (I won‘t go so far as to say he got his butt whipped East of Ontario, although it‘s close to the real truth).

Sadly, I‘m afraid the other sheep will all vote Liberal, just like they always do.

5 months ago the Conservatives didnt have a chnace in winning the federal election, now they do, regardless its going to be a tight race for ottawa. My self, i am happy with Harper winning leadership, that said i would have been just as happy with Linda.

Alot of people are Fed up with the Liberals, Alot of Liberals are fed up with their on party.

I think the Conservative party has a much better chance then most like to Believe.

Back