• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Handheld Radios

catalyst

Reaction score
So after using some Cobra radios on a Cadet FTX that didn't work so well, I'm on the hunt to find some solid radios that my cadet corps can purchase for their camping trips. These were loaned - so they could have just 'died' from overuse......

I'm looking for recommendations on something not-super-de-duper expensive and doesn't require a radio licence, but still is hearty, works in a 15 km area, and does not drain the batteries.

Any help from the more knowledgeable folks?

Were they GMRS radios or just FRS ones? GMRS has a much larger range and doesn't need a license just like FRS. Keep in mind anything handheld and in unlicensed bands are typically going to be line of sight, so if you're in dense woods or hilly terrain your reception and transmission are going to be terrible.

Depending on what you are doing and what your budget is, I'd suggest the GARMIN RINO, since it combines GPS, FRS/GMRS radio capability and even a form of Situational Awareness (the person transmitting has their location displayed for you on your screen). You can download maps of your training area to display on screen, so it is very versatile.

http://sites.garmin.com/rino/

Of course it is also expensive (@ $332 at WalMart) so you need a very switched on CQ....

Back