• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Hamas invaded Israel 2023

• Thread starter Thread starter McG
  • Start date Start date
That would be my guess. A “conscientious” leak, at least in their mind.

That's kind of where things come apart, isn't it? Where the ethics of the individual cross the laws of society.

Laws are never more than a set of rules imposed by authority. And authority changes. Especially in a democracy.

That's kind of where things come apart, isn't it? Where the ethics of the individual cross the laws of society.

Laws are never more than a set of rules imposed by authority. And authority changes. Especially in a democracy.

Acting out of conscience does not exempt one from “when you choose the behaviour, you choose the consequences”.

Acting out of conscience does not exempt one from “when you choose the behaviour, you choose the consequences”.

Absolutely. Muhammad Ali remains a hero of mine precisely because of that. He took that one square on the chin.

But when it comes to managing societies people with consciences become problematic. And sometimes they change laws. Other times they change societies.

And in the words of a Hoosier buddy of mine : "There ain't nothin' I can do about it."

Deleted - That's not right. Fighting is always an option.

Was reading the IDF is taking out banks and other buildings that are supposedly part of the financial arm of Hezzies and Hammies.

Any JDAM explosions in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver?

But when it comes to managing societies people with consciences become problematic. And sometimes they change laws. Other times they change societies.
There are objective beliefs (those not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts) and subjective beliefs (those based on personal opinions and feelings rather than on facts.) People whose conscience has them acting on objective beliefs are rarely a problem for a society and have the greatest success in persuading others to their point of view. People whose conscience has them acting on subjective beliefs are often in conflict with society, will persuade very few and will often be subject to penal penalties.

Sadly, neither the extreme left nor the extreme right seem to understand this. Even more sadly, social media has caused more and more of the general public to accept subjective beliefs regardless of the amounts of demonstrative evidence to the contrary.

🍻

Was reading the IDF is taking out banks and other buildings that are supposedly part of the financial arm of Hezzies and Hammies.

Any JDAM explosions in Ottawa, Toronto, Montreal or Vancouver?

Given how reliant their financing is likely to be on informal Hawala financing networks, I’m not sure how much hitting physical infrastructure will necessarily disrupt it, unless the real main effort is to get Lebanon to pressure them lest more apartment block get dropped on top of a street level bank branch…

There are objective beliefs (those not influenced by personal feelings or opinions in considering and representing facts) and subjective beliefs (those based on personal opinions and feelings rather than on facts.) People whose conscience has them acting on objective beliefs are rarely a problem for a society and have the greatest success in persuading others to their point of view. People whose conscience has them acting on subjective beliefs are often in conflict with society, will persuade very few and will often be subject to penal penalties.

Sadly, neither the extreme left nor the extreme right seem to understand this. Even more sadly, social media has caused more and more of the general public to accept subjective beliefs regardless of the amounts of demonstrative evidence to the contrary.

🍻
It is also the direct result of not believing and/or not teaching our children the value of having absolute standards to live by. When they don't know what to believe it is easy to convince them that "your way" is the right way.

Was the belief that slavery was wrong an objective belief or a subjective belief?

Given how reliant their financing is likely to be on informal Hawala financing networks, I’m not sure how much hitting physical infrastructure will necessarily disrupt it, unless the real main effort is to get Lebanon to pressure them lest more apartment block get dropped on top of a street level bank branch…
Sometimes I think the IDF just like to be complete and utter bastards … because they can.

Was the belief that slavery was wrong an objective belief or a subjective belief?
Has to be objective because slaves had tangible value 3 ways. They were purchased, used to generate income, and when “lost” due to whatever reason, they had to be replaced at a cost.
It’s my understanding that the Dutch and British (before they stopped) actually insured certain slaves as “cargo” for limited perils in transit.

Edit: therefore to abolish slavery was to delete and criminalize (what was for the whole history of man until that point in time) a formerly legal expenditure on means of wealth production without any objective gain.

What an awful, horrible subject.

Has to be objective because slaves had tangible value 3 ways. They were purchased, used to generate income, and when “lost” due to whatever reason, they had to be replaced at a cost.
It’s my understanding that the Dutch and British (before they stopped) actually insured certain slaves as “cargo” for limited perils in transit.

A slave was an autonomous 1.5 kw robot. We have been trying to replicate them ever since.

Following FJAG's definition I would disagree. The folks who fought against slavery did so primarily out of belief that slavery was morally wrong and not out of any scientific evidence, and yes, a horrible topic.

Following FJAG's definition I would disagree. The folks who fought against slavery did so primarily out of belief that slavery was morally wrong and not out of any scientific evidence, and yes, a horrible topic.
Agree, but the origins of abolition originated in economics and property rights related to exploitation and ownership of another human being. A horrible problem which, I might add, still exists in multiple forms and examples.

Back