• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Haitian leaders must all agree before Canada would lead a potential military intervention, Trudeau says

U.S. has suggested Canada could lead a multinational force in Haiti

Dylan Robertson · The Canadian Press · Posted: Nov 20, 2022 1:27 PM ET

A potential Canadian military intervention in Haiti can't happen unless all political parties in the troubled nation agree to it, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau said Sunday.

Speaking from Tunisia on the final day of the two-day Francophonie summit, Trudeau announced $16.5 million to help stabilize Haiti, where gangs are strangling access to fuel and critical supplies amid a worsening cholera outbreak.

About half the money is going toward humanitarian aid, and some of the rest is intended to help weed out corruption and prosecute gender-based violence.

But Haiti's government has asked for an international military intervention to combat gangs who have strangled access to fuel and critical supplies in the middle of the outbreak.

The United States wants Canada to lead any military intervention.

Trudeau said Sunday that Canada is working with CARICOM, the organization of Caribbean governments, along with "various actors in Haiti from all different political parties" to get a consensus on how the international community can help.

"It is not enough for Haiti's government to ask for it," he said. "There needs to be a consensus across political parties in Haiti before we can move forward on more significant steps."

He did not rule out eventually establishing a Canadian military mission on the ground in Haiti.

"Canada is very open to playing an important role, but we must have a Haitian consensus," Trudeau said in French.

New sanctions on prominent former officials
A Global Affairs Canada assessment team sent to Haiti to establish some understanding of what is happening and what could help has already returned and provided a report at meetings Trudeau said he attended.

He said the response is complicated because many "political elites" and "oligarchs" in Haiti have used the country's humanitarian crises "to enrich themselves on the backs of the Haitian people."

"So that is why our approach now is not about doing what one political party or the government wants," Trudeau said. "It's calling for a level of consensus and coherence from all actors in Haiti to call for solutions that we can actually get behind and lead on as an international community."

On Saturday Canada expanded its economic sanctions freezing the Canadian assets of Haitian political elites to now include former president Michel Martelly and former prime ministers Laurent Lamothe and Jean-Henry Ceant.

Foreign Affairs Minister Melanie Joly accused the trio of helping gangs undermine Haiti's current government and called on international partners to follow Canada's lead.

"Our goal is to make sure that these people that are profiting from the violence, that are part of a corrupted system, are facing accountability," she said.

Haitian Foreign Affairs Minister Jean Victor Geneus said the new sanctions put real consequences on those causing a "nightmare" in his country.

"These sanctions will have a dissuasive impact," he said in French, while seated between Trudeau and Joly.

Geneus said gangs are raping women and girls, preventing children from attending school and not letting sick people through roadblocks when they seek medical treatment. That means refugees are leaving for neighbouring islands.

"If the necessary conditions for safety are not re-established in a fast and urgent manner, a humanitarian catastrophe is possible in Haiti," he said in French.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/politics/trudeau-haiti-intervention-sanctions-1.6658254

It's frustrating because the crews deserve better than being a headline and marking time to show the flag. The sail down there can't be fun in MCDVs with how stiff they are, and I doubt the haitian gangs have an active naval presence for the MCDVs to visually observe.

I can’t wait to see the many makeshift rafts and boats make their way out to those MCVDs and purposefully sink themselves to force a rescue and then claim asylum or something.

For you Navy types: is that actually a possible scenario? I’m not too familiar with maritime law.

I can’t wait to see the many makeshift rafts and boats make their way out to those MCVDs and purposefully sink themselves to force a rescue and then claim asylum or something.

For you Navy types: is that actually a possible scenario? I’m not too familiar with maritime law.
The rescue bit yes, but not sure about the asylum. I imagine the ships will be far enough out though that will be difficult to get to (possibly over the horizon from shore), and they are small enough that you'll have a hard time seeing them.

But the intentional jumping in water to get rescue does happen on the refugee boats unfortunately. I had a lot less empathy until I saw some of that part of the world firsthand and realized they were just really that desparate. When jumping into the ocean seems like the best option things are fairly dire, but things in Syria and other places are that bad.

It’s obvious that Haiti is unable to fix itself and requires outside help. The only countries that can help are wealthy first world industrial nations. Being a G7 nation, Canada should have those resources, but is incapable because reasons.

Having said that, there aren’t too many wealthy non-European nations with the resources to provide that help, because it won’t look good when white up-armoured soldiers are standing over skinny black men with no shirts proned out on the street.

Something has to be done, but I don’t know who can do that without the “imperialist” optics.

I think the UN should send in the Malaysians or someone like that. Trying to restore order and aid to Haiti won't change anything. Thank the Clinton Foundation for that.

It was France that raped Haiti and set it on it's current downward spiral. Throw it in Macrons lap.

Last edited:
It’s obvious that Haiti is unable to fix itself and requires outside help. The only countries that can help are wealthy first world industrial nations. Being a G7 nation, Canada should have those resources, but is incapable because reasons.

Having said that, there aren’t too many wealthy non-European nations with the resources to provide that help, because it won’t look good when white up-armoured soldiers are standing over skinny black men with no shirts proned out on the street.

Something has to be done, but I don’t know who can do that without the “imperialist” optics.

“Because you can't intervene everywhere, you don't conclude you can't intervene anywhere.”

― Zbigniew Brzezinski

I think the UN should send in the Malaysians or someone like that. Trying to restore order and aid to Haiti won't change anything. Thank the Clinton Foundation for that.

It was France that raped Haiti and set it on it's current downward spiral. Throw it in Macrons lap.
Malaysians?

Maybe the Vietnamese- France did colonize Vietnam at one point.

Having said that, there aren’t too many wealthy non-European nations with the resources to provide because it won’t look good when white up-armoured soldiers are standing over skinny black men with no shirts proned out on the street.

So send in black-only soldiers from wealthy nations? People always complain about diversity, so let whitey sit back, kick up his/her feet and watch.

I watched them running around Bosnia in their BV206s.

Rich countries don't need the deployment. Give it to someone that needs the cash.

I don't think the UN deploys Vietnamese troops do they?

The perks of being a small island of warriors that controlled the world at one point. There is an inbred ethos that Woke can't breech.🙂

Go On Reaction GIF

The rescue bit yes, but not sure about the asylum. I imagine the ships will be far enough out though that will be difficult to get to (possibly over the horizon from shore), and they are small enough that you'll have a hard time seeing them.

But the intentional jumping in water to get rescue does happen on the refugee boats unfortunately. I had a lot less empathy until I saw some of that part of the world firsthand and realized they were just really that desparate. When jumping into the ocean seems like the best option things are fairly dire, but things in Syria and other places are that bad.
My barber is from Syria. He & his wife fled to Canada a few years back when the war was in its first few months...

We chat often enough, so I asked him about the optics of 'well off Syrians with iPhones & designer clothes fleeing into Europe' and the optics the western media painted of that situation...

He said that they were living normal lives, going to work like normal people, grocery shopping, family social things, etc etc...

The war was 'far away' on the other side of the country. They were so far removed from it, they were only really exposed to it on the nightly news - similar to how we were

But then one morning, when he left his house to drive to work, all of a sudden the war had come to them...

There were tanks at the end of his street, low flying aircraft, and just as he was about to get in his car artillery shells started landing all around him - blowing a few houses on his street into nothing more than bits of wood!

He ran back inside & grabbed his wife, and they both started running with whatever clothes they had on. And their smart phones. That was all they had.

Really changed my perspective when thinking back to how the media portrayed that story...

It really is that bad there

@CBH99 Thanks for sharing that, makes sense to me. I guess what hit me in that region was that it was folks just trying to live their life and suddenly had to grab their family and leave everything behind. Once you get past the language barriers and some cultural differences most people just want to keep on keeping on and have their kids have more opportunity than they had, and putting myself in their shoes I'm sure I'd be piling into a vehicle with my family, the clothes on our backs and smart phones in pockets and hoping for the best. When your city is being carpet bombed really doesn't matter if you are lower, middle or upper class.

Cool, send them. My point was to let some of the smaller countries do some stuff. Not every UN mission has to have large western nations involved. Spread the wealth, so to speak.
Problem; look what happened in Africa, sexual abuse, and crimes by poorly trained troops from India, Bangladesh and others. These third world countries actually make money off sending troops on UN missions, but do more harm them good to the reputation of the organization. That is why you need professional western forces, as much as we hate it, we are better suited to get the job done.

Problem; look what happened in Africa, sexual abuse, and crimes by poorly trained troops from India, Bangladesh and others. These third world countries actually make money off sending troops on UN missions, but do more harm them good to the reputation of the organization. That is why you need professional western forces, as much as we hate it, we are better suited to get the job done.
I would call it the Colonialism hangover no one wanted.

Back