• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Guys, I really need some advice about joining. Badly.

If CFAT makes it seem like rocket science .... no .. nevermind. I can't even formulate a proper sarcastic reply to that cause I think it does a good enough job on it's own.

You have an opportunity to discuss your trade choices at your interview.  They will verify your trade choices and determine which ones you are most interested in and put those first and second, and you can have up to three choices.
Personally, I had three areas I was really interested in, but I forced myself to eliminate 2 of them because I knew in my heart which choice I REALLY wanted, and I didn't want to be a person who ends up declining a job offer for a trade I originally said I was interested in.  I think that would look bad.  So I only had one choice, and I knew that when the call came it would be purely an exciting moment for me and not a big stress that it might be an offer for one of my "other" choices, and be left to make a big decision right there in 10 seconds on the phone with the recruiter.

The benefit to leaving 3 trades on your application is that you may get an offer way faster, because thats 3 selection boards looking at your file instead of 1.

Anyway, I'd recommend making sure that whatever choices you put down, that you'll be happy to accept an offer from any of them

Howdy,

First off, I am 22 year old male. I have a dead end job making under $20,000 full benefits a year with a company that is looking at making me the ad designer, which would not be that bad at all. $25,000 a year benefits and some vacation time.

Now I have recently been looking in to the armed forces as a new career mainly because I know I am not the type of person who can sit in front of a computer from 8-5 5 days a week 52 weeks a year. I started going to the gym this month to try and tone up to beable to pass the physical. I also need to write my GED exam to get the high school requirements. I have been almost 3 years clean from hard drugs as of September 2008, and about 13 months clean from pot. I also got an assault charge, almost a month ago but since then it looks like the case in the courts will be stayed, meaning no conviction. I also on my own will signed my self up for anger management courses because of the assault charge. So since I have been working on what I need to do to get passed the basic requirements.

Second off, I have a 14 month old son, who was the best thing to ever happen to me since I quit competitive sports almost 5 years ago, he already looks up to me, trying to copy everything thing I do, which is hard when your only just over a year old. I have decent job that will have room for me to grab promotions in the future, I have a decent on and off again relationship with my son’s mother. One day if we can continue relationship counseling there maybe be room to get married because she is the girl I do want to be with, and she feels the same about me, When I talk to my friends about me joining I get a lot of mixed signals of how much they would miss me. I can’t rely on any of them for anything. My family only wants the best for me and thinks I won’t actually go through with it because they don’t believe I can handle the demanding work.

So I get the “why would you want to do that”, “That’s a stupid choice”, “that’s a wrong decision to leave your son and girlfriend behind” almost every person I speak to says that to me, the only people who actually is support me is my Mother, and girlfriend who would move herself our son to anywhere in Canada to be with me.

I know that I have the mental attitude to join the forces; I am one of those people who have been beating down but still gets up and takes another hit. I don’t know if that matters at all in the army or what you may think of it being a lot of people must say that.  I know my shit don’t stink and I know it will not be a walk in the part. I want to do this to prove to myself that I can do something that not a lot of people can do. I am starting to work outs at the gym for the physical challenges of basic training. I want to beable to join the forces to start a career that will give me opportunities to do amazing things for myself, my family aswell as Canada.

I believe in what Canada is doing around the world. And I would not want to join the army if I did not believe.

I have been thinking about doing full-time combat arms, which ever one I was able to slide into, or at least give it a shot with the reserve to see what my current job brings me.  Although I was speaking with a co-worker who said there would be no way in hell that my boss/owner would let me go away for the summer to complete my full reserve training. I think it’s bizarre and it’s the main reasons I want to go straight to full-time. If the court goes well and I get my GED and beable to pass the self easement test for the physical I plan on applying right after my sons second birthday late October.

I guess my question is what is your opinion?
Has anyone else ever had to make a decision like this?
Or have any tips or pointers on what I should do?
Recruiter’s advice?

Try :

http://www2.oprah.com/money/career/marcus/course/marcus_course_main.jhtml

There's lots of threads here that cover the same issues you have, more or less, if you do a search. 
Also, it's not necessary to post the same thing twice.

Well dj, I'm not in the forces ( I leave for boot on Sunday) I have a few suggestions.  Get your GED!  I was down the same road you travelled for a while and it also took a while for me to clue in as to what is important.  And your GED is it.  It's also a sign that you want to leave your past troubles behind you and begin a more responsible life, which you can tell your interviewer when you apply.  Don't listen to friends who are 9 times out of ten talking out of their a$$e$.  Especially if they are the friends you got drugged up with.  It also sounds like your torn between keeping your civvie job and going into the military.  It is a life style change and you'll have to think long and hard about it.  Don't jump into it and remember that it is your choice.  And the last thing I tell everyone who I talk to about joining the forces, go talk with a recruiter!  The have all kinds of info just laying around waiting to get handed out.  Just don't sign anything until your sure. ;)

PMedMoe said:
There's lots of threads here that cover the same issues you have, more or less, if you do a search. 

Search as in  :

Welcome to Army.ca.

Start reading

Search page - http://forums.army.ca/forums/index.php?action=search;advanced

Google search of Army.ca - http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=+site%3Aarmy.ca+%22search+term%22&btnG=Search&meta= (follow the link then replace "search term" with what you are looking for)

Army.ca wiki pages - http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Main_Page

FRIENDLY ADVICE TO NEW MEMBERS - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/24937/post-259412.html#msg259412

Frequently Asked Questions - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/41136.0.html

* Recruiting FAQ - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/21101.0.html
    * Army.ca Wiki Recruiting FAQ - http://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Frequently_Asked_Questions

PMedMoe said:
Also, it's not necessary to post the same thing twice.

Not necessary as it's a big no - no  :tsktsk: here :).

And here I went to all the trouble to reply on the other thread.  grrrr. :skull:

Don't worry, I just asked the Mods to merge the threads.  ;D

Hi Dj,

First of all congrats to you for wanting to clean up your life.  Well we are not that different.  My wife/friends think it is crazy what I want to do but I know in my gut that Pilot is the life for me. 

The same should be for you.  If you TRULY believe you were meant to be in the Combat Arms then by all means go for it regardless of the nay-sayers.  it's your life buddy - not theirs.  Your son will grow up to be proud of a dad that had the guts to follow his own convictions.  The military will offer life lessons that cannot be gained out here in the civilian world.  Not to mention the pay would be comperable or better.  You'd also have educational opportunities to pursue a diploma/degree later in your career.  You will also have job stability which is much more than I can say for anyone in the civilian world (unless you work for the government).  The army is a life less ordinary.

As for your personal issues.  Get that GED, build up your physical fitness and learn that you can change from an angry fellow to a disciplined soldier with a son to care for.  You are doing this for his well-being also.

CPL Jay

So sorry.  BMQ.  Terribly sorry for using the wrong slang.  Whatever.  ::)

Biggoals2bdone said:
Tyler are you in the US Army, because in Canada, there is no such thing as Boot.

Funny, I seem to remember going to boot camp around 79ish.

I think there has been many slang names for it (we called it boot camp in '89 when I did it) but I think there is a more 'funky' name for it now  ;)

Eye In The Sky said:
I think there has been many slang names for it (we called it boot camp in '89 when I did it) but I think there is a more 'funky' name for it now  ;)
Hell?

oh yeah!  "Basic Up!".  Where all your instructors tell you,"good job", "we're proud of you", "do you need some help?"  HAHA.  Oh, and they never use the F-Bomb.  It's "Frig" or "Friggin!".  Man I can't wait for my Basic Up, it's gonna be a walk in the park!

Note:  TylerSnap!'s post is heavily laced with sarcasm.

TylerSnap! said:
"Boot Camp".  It's just slang for BMQ right?

While a "slang" term for anything does not have to have official recognition to be used, sometimes there are consequences for using the wrong slang.  I've most often heard "boot camp" used in reference to USMC basic recruit training.  Way back in 1976 (when I attended CFRC Cornwallis) the commonly use term was "basic".  One of my fellow recruits once used the term "boot camp" in the presence of an instructor (and he may also have called him a DI, another no-no).  The instructor, to reinforce his lesson about nomenclature, made the recruit wear both pairs of his boots, one pair on his feet, one pair on his hands and had him walk on all fours around the barracks 100 times.

Back