• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Goretex Boots and Brutal Blisters: Suggestions?

max flinch

Inactive
Reaction score
I've worn Mk III's for nearly 9 years, and have never, ever had a blister. The issue Goretex boots make hamburger out of my heels. I have tried every possible combination of issue and civvy socks I can think of, and still get blisters after only a few miles with a ruck. Heel aside, they don't irritate my feet. I've had them for over two years, and they're broken in from wearing them in short sessions and parade nights, but the heel problem remains. I get by with goretex socks in my Mk III's, but every once in a while I get this dumb idea about wearing my Goretex boots again, and here I am putting second skin on my heel again. Any suggestions?

Perhaps a Gel insert at the heel? I've never had any such problems with the gore-tex boots, but maybe it's a foot shape issue.

have you walked through water in them lately? I can sometimes have a problem with that when I wear my gortex boots on long hikes, and walk through a creek, its almost like they shrink a bit. but after wearing them for a long time with little or light walking, it gets better.

I cannot ruck in the goretex boots either, they destroy my feet (heels).

The last ruck march I did with my WWBs on, my feet looked like hamburger after. My advice, wear the Mk IIIs for marches.

This might be a silly question, but I intend no offense so here it goes...

... if your Mark III's are good, why would you even want to try the Goretex?

"The only stupid question is the one that doesn't get asked."

Two words: Vancouver Island (or, alternatively, "Temperate Rainforest," with special emphasis on the 'rain'). Also, the vibram sole is easier on my aging knees.

try superfeet insoles from MEC, I don't think the problem is the socks, it's the foot mechanics, which the superfeet help to correct.

Thanks, Cobra - it's always good to have a reason to go to MEC. Thanks to the rest of you as well for the speedy advice and input.

Regards,

Max Flinch said:
Two words: Vancouver Island (or, alternatively, "Temperate Rainforest," with special emphasis on the 'rain'). Also, the vibram sole is easier on my aging knees.
get your Mk III's re-soled, dude. It's worth it. Get a chit allowing you to get vibram soles, or better, a chit saying you are allowed to buy your own footwear.

Honestly, I'd prefer to march in wet Mark III's than in CWW boots.

Here's the sum total of my knowledge of the Goretex boots:

I was advised by a few members of my DS from the Infantry School that the Goretex boots sucked and were really only good for wearing in sloppy NB winter weather (with the exception that they do provide somewhat more ankle support than Mark IIIs.)

Which leads to my next question:

Why would you want them for the temperate wet weather of the west coast?

My (limited) experience is that my Mark IIIs need to be seriously submerged (ie. patrolling in the Otnabog!) in order to get wet enough to cause me to stop wearing them.  So, I can't understand why Mark IIIs would not be satisfactory for the west coast, notwithstanding the additional rain.

The questions may seem silly but I am entitled to the Goretex boots but I just can't bring myself to go and get them issued given that I can find no real reason as to why I would ever wear them.... my logic being that I might as well leave them in the supply stream for someone that wants/needs them.  That being said, if the boots are good kit that I would use, I will go pick up my requisite issue.

edited to add:  I am seriously thinking about getting my Mark IIIs resoled.  I love those boots now that they are broken in!

'finch
the reason we use the CWW boots is to deal with Cold and Wet Weather. That's what they were designed (albeit poorly) for. Mark III takes a long time to get truly wet, but takes even longer to dry, and if you're runnin' around in cold weather, with wet boots - yer fooked. Well and trrrrooly fooked, lassie.

....seen.

I got the wet this summer... I didn't get the cold.

So, Goretex boots for winter indoc training it is then!

Thanks para.

well, the sad truth is, because they were designed so poorly, they're only good for standing Gate Guard in Bosnia, (just like the POS Tac-Vest) since wearing them in winter while moving will result in spine-jarring, head-splitting spills, as the sole is ridiculous.  ::)

The damn boots are junk.

scoutfinch said:
I got the wet this summer... I didn't get the cold.

So, Goretex boots for winter indoc training it is then!

They are a boot designed for neither Summer or Winter.  They are for the wet Spring and wet Fall, being too hot to wear in Summer and not quite warm enough for dry, frigid winter conditions, (although warmer than Mk III's) where Mukluks would be better suited.

Para

That is pretty much what my DS said this summer.  Shockingly, some of the CAP candidates that dig as much Gucci as they can find were wearing them for everything from garrison to BFTs and couldn't understand why they were getting blisters... and I mean serious blisters that required their own area code they were so big.

They didn't seem to grasp that there is a world of difference from wearing the Goretex boots one night a week in the armouries and wearing them as field footware.  They were more concerned with the cool factor of wearing kit that others might not have been issued yet... although I can not see the point of wearing cold weather boots in Gagetown in June and July.  (I confess to not understanding the *if I can get it, I am going to wear it* mentality.  In my not-so-humble opinion, what you have been issued or are wearing likely doesn't comment on how good a soldier you are, but I digress...)

Curious as I am, I asked my staff about the utility of the boots and got a universal chorus of *they are shyte*.  So, in the event I need GOOD footware that will keep me warm and dry in the winter without tearing up my feet (ie. if my CT goes through shortly and I end up in Farnham in February/March), what type of footware should I be trying to wrest out of the system. (Please god let me get a BOTC/IAP bypass... I have been a good girl all year and worked hard on CAP!)

In the last few years the Mk III's have really started to irritate my feet.  I don't know whether its a case of fallen arches or whatever but they cause my toes to go numb even after a few minutes of wear.  I switched to wearing the WWB all year long and I find them quite comfortable for everyday wear.  Marching, unfortunately, is another issue.  I do march in them as I really have no choice other than get a chit, but I tape my feet before hand with that sticky, stretchy stuff that looks like tensor bandage.  Does the trick and keeps my feet in ok shape and no blisters. Doesn't ride up either since its sticky.   Would prefer to use the MK III's but its a no go for me.

Thanks George.

So, am I hearing a vote for mukluks from you vice Goretex?  Or is there anything else in the system?

I have contemplated my Mark IIIs with goretex socks and the sock system.  Would that suffice for the Gagetown and east kind of weather?

brin11 said:
In the last few years the Mk III's have really started to irritate my feet.  I don't know whether its a case of fallen arches or whatever but they cause my toes to go numb even after a few minutes of wear.  I switched to wearing the WWB all year long and I find them quite comfortable for everyday wear.  Marching, unfortunately, is another issue.  I do march in them as I really have no choice other than get a chit, but I tape my feet before hand with that sticky, stretchy stuff that looks like tensor bandage.  Does the trick and keeps my feet in ok shape and no blisters. Doesn't ride up either since its sticky.  Would prefer to use the MK III's but its a no go for me.

Do you have custom insoles in your Mark IIIs?

Yes, I tried all kinds of different insoles which made it worse actually since they decrease the space for my toes and cause even more squeezing and numbness.  This happened with my old boots and new ones I tried thinking it might have been caused from the old boots.  I used to wear them without any problems at all but am getting old now... :)

Back