• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Globe and Mail...US Centric?

M

MAJOR_Baker

I have been looking at the Globe and Mail lately (Now I am not sure why....) and I have noticed a large portion of their polls are US Centric?

The latest one is something like...Do you agree with the sentence for the Washington Area Sniper? Or I like the other one; who would you vote for in the US presidential election....  :blotto:   Laughed my *** off about that one too!

WTH?  I am so confused....I read that "some" Canadians believe their culture and identity is under threat from the US.  Seems to me that a good portion of those feeling are self induced!  

I always did get a chuckle from CDN content programming...."Much Music," "Red Green Show,"  "Mr. Dress-up and of course the friendly giant."  Fantastic shows, brings out the best in Canadiana!  :blotto:  

then there is the following that are or have been filmed in canada..... Stargate, Wiseguy, The X-Files, The A Team, 21 Jump Street, Earth: Final Conflict, Lexx, Highlander: The Series, Forever Knight, Due South, MacGyver, Queer as Folk, The Sentinel, and Relic Hunter....etc

ALL I WANT is my Beachcomber and "The Forest Rangers" re-reuns   :p  

Then again, I liked the sound of this one too....

How do you change a broker, a dancer, and an unemployed Puerto Rican
into members of the most sophisticated killing machine in the world?
A critical look at how the U.S. army recruits and tries to indoctrinate young people post Sept. 11th.  
Critical my ***!    :p

well, perhaps if we had raving lunatics who enjoyed murdering people with readily available assault rifles, we‘d have some "good" news too.

In terms of Canada‘s culture and identity being under attack by Americans, Pierre Trudeau talked about it the most eloquently. He said that living next to the US was like sleeping next to an elephant. No matter how nice or temperate the beast, you‘re still affected by every grunt and twitch.

There are some Candians who feel assaulted by American culture, but there are many others who realize that it‘s just the elephant twitching.

And I must complement Major Baker on his level of trivial Canadiana knowledge. An impressive list of shows! (that most Canadians couldn‘t have come up with.)

Originally posted by S_Baker:
[qb] Null....would have expected as much, we can exchange barbs all you want highspeed, how about a pig farmer from B.C. shall I go on?
[/qb]
I hope you‘re not a fan of pork sausages. :p

From Australia.....

Its world news not just American news, and Canada is the next door neighbour.

We get it all here everday, from terror attacks in Iraq, to the US sniper case. Too bad both these oxygen thiefs dont get the needle jab!

After spending the first 35yrs of my life, being a western Canadian, there is much US influence.

Afterall, there is over 250,000,000 people living due south in a country smaller than Canada.

Canada does have its own culture, as does Australia. But even as a kid growning up in Canada the US influence say even on the Queen‘s english was present, even in the 1960s. look at your spelling for example. The kids say born after 1980 spell words different to their parents.

Canadian gun culture too is different, as most gun owners own guns for recreation, hunting and target shooting, where in the USA this is also true, but many have guns to defend life and property, and its a right there, not a privilage to ownn such like in Canada and here in Australia.

Hey Null - As for readily available assault rifles, DONT bring gun control into the equasion. Thats **** weak, and an insult to law abiding gunowners everywhere, including the people who live on your street, and may own such ‘bad‘ guns. BTW, I am for capital punishment, and a justice system which serves the victims, not the crims. .

Gun violence is a social issue experienced worldwide even in countries where there are no LEGAL firearms. Its not just a USA problem. Far from it.

Regards,

Wes

PS - I do not own any guns, I get my fill ‘on the job‘.

s baker i got to admit i get a laugh when you stick it us canadians.esp,those upper canadians....

Originally posted by S_Baker:
[qb] I have been looking at the Globe and Mail lately (Now I am not sure why....) and I have noticed a large portion of their polls are US Centric?

The latest one is something like...Do you agree with the sentence for the Washington Area Sniper? Or I like the other one; who would you vote for in the US presidential election.... :blotto: Laughed my *** off about that one too!

WTH? I am so confused....I read that "some" Canadians believe their culture and identity is under threat from the US. Seems to me that a good portion of those feeling are self induced!

I always did get a chuckle from CDN content programming...."Much Music," "Red Green Show," "Mr. Dress-up and of course the friendly giant." Fantastic shows, brings out the best in Canadiana! :blotto:

then there is the following that are or have been filmed in canada..... Stargate, Wiseguy, The X-Files, The A Team, 21 Jump Street, Earth: Final Conflict, Lexx, Highlander: The Series, Forever Knight, Due South, MacGyver, Queer as Folk, The Sentinel, and Relic Hunter....etc

ALL I WANT is my Beachcomber and "The Forest Rangers" re-reuns :p

Then again, I liked the sound of this one too....

How do you change a broker, a dancer, and an unemployed Puerto Rican
into members of the most sophisticated killing machine in the world?
A critical look at how the U.S. army recruits and tries to indoctrinate young people post Sept. 11th.
Critical my ***! :p [/qb]
Woody,most of those telle show‘s my friend‘s daughter was the stunt women for them. ;)

Yes we have a love/hate relationship.
But remember we are own Country!
Just because yous lot say jump!Dose not mean we will!

We may haver a small population but we still believe in the rule of law and how it is enacted.
Re.U.N.

Wheather the Bush league like‘s or not. ;)

wasn‘t meant to be a barb there sherwood, and wesley, what makes you think this is about gun control?

everybody‘s got serial killers, but illegal immigrants shooting people with assault rifles...now that‘s unique news.

not sure why american politics is so big...canada seems to have been reduced to showing top shots of belinda stronarch

...not that that‘s a bad thing.

Thats what was relfected in your post mate! As for illegals with guns, its bad here too (infact, outragous), as in the UK also, seems they like to bring their violence and hatred with them.

Mind you many conform, and want to establish a normal life in their newly adopted land, so I am not condemming them as a whole.

Who pays? We all do, but I dont mind if they kill each other. Sadly lefites like Wendy Cukier get on their little soap box, and want all guns banned. She was at it 10yrs ago, and still is.

Until we adopt a better justice system, where there is mininum sentancing, and maybe a 10yr good behaviour bond for these new Cdns, (who would risk deportation if they were found gulity of a signifigant crime).

You see its too easy for them to get here, and too, too many snivel libertarians and bleeding hearts who want them here.

They establish their elements of organised crime, and this is barbaric compared to mainstream Cdn/western crime.

Here in Australia, its gone wild, and the police cant control it.

i did not mean to stir the pot, just answered the post as I thought, so no flame intended.

Regards,

Wes

I can understand Gulliver not wanting to be tied down. I can certainly understand Gulliver wanting to eliminate those few Lilliputians that want to take him down by placing mines underneath his feet. What about the other Lilliputians that don‘t trust Gulliver not to step on them while he‘s stomping the nasty ones? Are they supposed to hunker down and *hope* that the other shoe doesn‘t drop? (so to speak)

Obviously the goal is a peaceful coexistence between Gulliver and the inhabitants of Lilliput, but how do we get there? I know the answer to that is a fairly long debate that can‘t really be solved in this small forum, but I just liked your metaphor so much, I had to use it. :)

Cheers

Not all of us are really sad about the way America wages its war on terror. I am more concerned about the internal policies that have happened as a result of said war. It‘s put mindless little bureaucrats in positions of power, without substantially increasing security. (Speaking largely of airport security, but since when has bringing in the gov‘t improved the efficiency of ANYTHING??? And don‘t even get me started on the Patriot Act, or the DMCA...)

I remember a quote I saw of the former head of El Al security when he was shown airport security in the US. He said "Israel has a security system. America has a system for annoying people." The main crux of his argument was that security in the US was so concerned about weapons that they never took the time to evaluate whether or not the person in front of them was a nut-job, whereas Israeli security looked at the whole picture, using the search time to yes, look for weapons, but more importantly evaluate the person in front of them.

The US‘s invasion of Iraq and Afghanistan don‘t really bother me. A-stan is uncivilized, and needed the calming influence of a government or warlord who was not by definition inimical to the West. Iraq was actively threatening the West, and Western interests, and hinting that they had WMD. The fact that they didn‘t end up having any isn‘t really relevant: Why don‘t you joke about having a bomb on you when you go through airport security?....you think NOT actually having one is going to ensure you can board the plane, without criminal charges?

Welcome to the wonderful world of consequences for your actions Boys and Girls. The US gets it, the UN doesn‘t.

I think part of the reason we‘re so worried you‘ll take over is because culturally, we are quite similar. Name a Canadian city you can‘t spend US$ in. Name a Canadian who‘s never heard of Dunkin‘ Donuts, Krispy Kreme etc., here in the land of the One True Saint Timothy of Horton. I have to correct people today who persist in saying "zee" instead of "zed", to whom you have to explain that US English isn‘t a valid spellchecker for Word (although Microsoft can‘t spell any other language), or that Websters Collegiate dictionary will teach you to spell words incorrectly. 80% of our trade is now with the US, we are culturally similar, we are indistinguishable from Americans abroad....It‘s a lot like being the little brother in school, constantly being mistaken for the older brother....the one who got to do all the kewl stuff and pulled straight A‘s in Math and Science, while you pull A‘s in English Lit, and haven‘t got a clue about Math. "Oh, you‘re Sam‘s brother, so this differential equation should be old hat to you....!" "Dammit, I‘m not Sam! I‘m Johnny! All I wanna do is pass the **** course!"

Afraid? No, not really. It‘s more a certain level of frustration because we‘re not recognized as being ourselves. Maybe that‘s why we dabble in lib-left politics, hang out at the intellectual bars with the "beat" generation (the UN), and so on...We‘re rebelling against the establishment, Man...Don‘t hassle us....

I will tell you though that your Saint "Timothy of Horton" is owned by an American corporation
Right then lads time, to defend Canadian Culture, were just going to have to go down there and torch the Whitehouse again.

Or even better:

One of you guys from the ASHCAN‘s or the Riley‘s go round up Shelia Copps, she‘s out of a job, and mail here to the following address:

The President
The Whitehouse
Washington, DC

Oh wait a minute, given her personality, we‘d probably anger them less by sending Anthrax, or buring the Whitehouse down.

*disclaimer yes I do know my Canadian history and am fully aware of the fact that it was the regulars from the British Army that sacked Washington DC.

Yes us poor Upper Canadians and a few Newfs had to content ourselves with sacking and burning Buffalo (twice) in that little border war.

I knew about Tim‘s (Wendy‘s now), although it still started out here, and has not substantially changed with the takeover. Thank the gods fer that. It would be like the New Coke fiasco...when Coke tried that, Canadian Coke sales evaporated.

Didn‘t know about Dunkin‘ Donuts tho...that‘s interesting, I guess.

But we still ain‘t yer dumb little brother!

(as for burning Buffalo, aren‘t you worried about the millions of dollars of improvements that would cause?)

I just don‘t like it when some American in-duh-viduals feel the need to look down on other countries (like Canada), always trying to rub in everyone else‘s face how much better they think they are. It‘s like rubbing a dog‘s nose in it‘s own **** to make yourself feel big.

But then again, you get people like that everywhere, we just get a lot of it from the Americans because we‘re neighbours.

Luckily, most of the Americans I‘ve met are not like that, and aren‘t really bad people, except for the fact that they can‘t spell, and seem to pronounce certain letters incorreclty. ;) (Our closest relatives are in Connecticut, so I‘m down there every year or two)

Actually, another thing I don‘t like is Canadians worrying more about the US than our own country. There is a lot happening in Canadian news, yet so many ‘intelectuals‘ on my campus are complaining about US problems and don‘t know anything about what‘s happening in our country. I guess it‘s just cool to be anti-American.

no, it‘s ‘Anything said in latin sounds profound‘

Back