• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Glad we're on the global stage.

Adrenaline

Inactive
Reaction score
If you fine folk will allow me, i would like to express my political view for a moment.

Im glad Canada has made a commitment to staying in Afghanistan.  Im not a right-wing'd hawk or anything.  Its just good to know that the Canadian Armed Forces are getting some serious combat experience.  We're showing the world that we're not here just to provide domestic assistance. 

For a long time (before I educated myself with current events and uses for the armed forces), I used to joke about the Army with everyone else...."Hope our beavers know how to fight"....."Send out our fleet of canoes to patrol the coast for invading seals"...etc...etc.  Now, I see a Force with a reason for being.  Our technology is improving, soldiers are gaining valuble combat experience and we are showing the world how Canada puts boot to butt.

Couldnt be more proud of our boys and girls overseas.  Couldnt be more proud of my country's willingness to help on the global stage.

:cdn:

thanks for letting me give my 2 cents.

-Adrenaline

Adrenaline said:
If you fine folk will allow me, i would like to express my political view for a moment.

Its just good to know that the Canadian Armed Forces are getting some serious combat experience. 

.......we are showing the world how Canada puts boot to butt.

There is more to it than combat experience pal, (there is NOTHING glorious about war, killing, death and dying so you can shove the 'boot to butt' bit).  Its about committing to fighting the global war on terror, and Canada is doing its bit in many ways. Already there has been many fine men who have payed the ultimate sacrifice, and are not coming home.

Don't let your comments cheapen their loss, and the resolve of the CF members over there right now as you read this.

Just remember that anyone has access to this site, including people who sit on the fence ( and might be sweying to go to the other side) in that part of the world. If they see attitudes or words of this nature, coming from the western youth, just what message are you telling them?

What I am saying is as much as we are offeneded about the bad guys talking about suicide bombers and cutting the throats of hostages, their youth may take what you had said just as offensive, as they are reading words of kicking a$$ and warmongering. Thats how they see it.

Get my drift?

Wes

He's just paying you a complement pal. Just say thank you and move on.

Inspir said:
He's just paying you a complement pal. Just say thank you and move on.

Oh really?

There is better words to use, and being a young uni student yourself with not a single day served in uniform, I am  sure you know that.

Promoting to the general public on a world stage that its cool we kick a$$ and being wishful/happy that the CF is now having close combat experience is a poor choice of words.

Thats what I am saying, and with over 30yrs of experience, I have earned my opinion, as others with time in rank wearing the uniform have also.

Have a good day.

Regards,

Wes

Well, if we're going to do the TI thing I'm sitting at 33 years...

I always thought that combat experience was a good thing for armed forces to have, too, although there's obviously a down side because of the circumstances that generate that experience. And apparently, given the latest surge in recruiting, a lot of other young people see "a Force with a reason for being" as well. I see no glorification of war in this post, only pride that our guys are demonstrating the level of professionalism that we would expect.

Wording can always be better, especially in a medium like this one where the norms of tone and body language do not apply and misinterpretation is all too easy.

I took this as a compliment, pure and simple.

Holy....hey wes....sorry if i rubbed you the wrong way here.....

If i came off disrespectful to you, im sorry for that.  I was simply trying to state that im glad to see we're out there doing something for the right cause.  I would, in NO way disrespect the fallen men and women.  I know war isnt all glitz and glamor.  And like I said, im not a right wing hawk.  I was simply giving my opinion on our efforts overseas.

Sorry if i offended.

Adrenaline said:

If i came off disrespectful to you, im sorry for that.  I was simply trying to state that im glad to see we're out there doing something for the right cause.  I would, in NO way disrespect the fallen men and women.  I know war isnt all glitz and glamor.  And like I said, im not a right wing hawk.  I was simply giving my opinion on our efforts overseas.

Sorry if i offended.

Cheers Adrenaline, I understand your sentiment and agree fully.

Im just as glad as you are.

Arenaline just chose your words with more care as when I read them to me implied we have been doing jack all before Afghanistan....I am sure many that served in the Former Yugoslavia would also argue about gaining combat experience as well.

Adrenaline said:

Sorry if i offended.

I am not offended, I am as right winged as one can get, but its some other 'visitors' on here who may take it the wrong way, and there are plenty of them. I fully understand what you are saying, just a bad choice of words thats all, and I am sure you understand where I am coming from, thats all.

Cheers,

Wes

Okay im glad u know what i was talking about.  Yeah perhaps i could have worded my 'former opinion' on the army a little differently.  I was trying to say that now, our efforts are MORE recognizable.  I wasnt pretending to ignore other areas of operations like Bosnia or Kosavo. 

again, sorry for the confusion

Back