• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Getting that First Hook

Status
Not open for further replies.
George Wallace said:
::)

This is starting to sound an awful like the people who are whining because they don't have enough medals or badges to prove that they are 'a somebody'.
Ya really. Do your time, be a good service person and put up your hook when the time comes.

If you've only been in long enough to think you deserve a jump to a hook, you are going to have a long road ahead once you get lost in the puzzle factory of performance evaluations.

potato

211RadOp said:
Alright, here is the goods:

- - - - - - - - - - -
No where in CFAOs does it state that you can be advance promoted from Pte (B) to Pte (T).

You CAN be advanced promoted to Pte (T) in advance of the 30 month deadline, if, as in the scenario I've laid out below, you had been granted credited time towards pay & promotion upon your enrollment for courses/qualification you had upon joining. If those are credited as "prior service." It happens...reserves come in as Pte(B)IPC2 and then receive their hook after serving 6 months. This is not considered an accelerated promotion which is what your reference refers to. These guys are still eligibale to be recommended(and granted) one accelerated promotion later in their career.

Accelerated promotions are whole different beasts. You can not receive an accelerated promotion to Pte (T). A Pte (T) can be recommended for accelerated promotion to Cpl, but they can not be granted that acceleration until they have reached the 36 months of service TI and have met the qualification pre-req, and have a very strong endorsement by their CoC. Once they have been granted this acceleration, they can not receive another one in their career.

So here's the answer to the question that was originally posted:

A Cpl about a year ago told me that a NO HOOK can recieve his HOOK before 30 months.  I no longer know where to find this person that told me this so I ask you all this question.

Yes, this can occur in advance of the 30 month mark if that Pte B was enrolled with credit towards TI and pay due to qualifications/courses he had prior to enlisting.

In no other case can a PteB receive their hook (in an accelerated manner) prior to completing the 30 month TI requirement, no matter how well they perform.

Bows down to the all knowing Librarian  ;D

And maybe it's time to put a lock on this topic before rounds start heading down range?

The Librarian said:
You CAN be advanced promoted to Pte (T) in advance of the 30 month deadline, if, as in the scenario I've laid out below, you had been granted credited time towards pay & promotion upon your enrollment for courses/qualification you had upon joining. If those are credited as "prior service." It happens...reserves come in as Pte(B)IPC2 and then receive their hook after serving 6 months. This is not considered an accelerated promotion which is what your reference refers to. These guys are still eligibale to be recommended(and granted) one accelerated promotion later in their career.

Accelerated promotions are whole different beasts. You can not receive an accelerated promotion to Pte (T). A Pte (T) can be recommended for accelerated promotion to Cpl, but they can not be granted that acceleration until they have reached the 36 months of service TI and have met the qualification pre-req, and have a very strong endorsement by their CoC. Once they have been granted this acceleration, they can not receive another one in their career.

My error in using "advanced" vice "accelerated".

The Librarian said:

You are right about getting it earlier than 30 months but it is not an advanced or accellerated promotion to that level.  You receive TCI (Time credited Incentive).  This is concidered service time towards promotion.  There are CFAOs that cover this in or around the same section.  The 30 months can be made up of TCI and service time.  It is simple addition.  It also counts towards the promotion to Cpl but not ussually beyond that unless your entering under a special entry plan such as those offered by Sig Op for completing a collage program that directly relates to our trade.  This is not an accelleration but an accumulation.  I had TCI accredited to me when I joined.  When you received your enrolement message, it would have been included in the message.  If it is not there, you have only 3 years to contest it.

What's the big deal here?

A hook entitles you to no extra pay, benefits or special treatment, and is largely meaningless at my unit, where troops regularly go from no - hook to Cpl at the prescribed time or before, depending on performance.

Will that one hook make a real difference in your life?

Ok I think we have beaten the proverbial dead horse long enough.

MODS maybe time to put a lock on this.

Radop said:
You are right about getting it earlier than 30 months but it is not an advanced or accellerated promotion to that level.  You receive TCI (Time credited Incentive).  This is concidered service time towards promotion.  There are CFAOs that cover this in or around the same section.  The 30 months can be made up of TCI and service time.  It is simple addition.  It also counts towards the promotion to Cpl but not ussually beyond that unless your entering under a special entry plan such as those offered by Sig Op for completing a collage program that directly relates to our trade.  This is not an accelleration but an accumulation.  I had TCI accredited to me when I joined.  When you received your enrolement message, it would have been included in the message.  If it is not there, you have only 3 years to contest it.

Yeah me too, in the scenario that I laid out below.  And I said it wasn't considered an acceleration. ;)

And Mods, I think that's a wrap.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back