• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

General Questions regarding your application [MERGED]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kalenus13

Inactive
Reaction score
New member here, I have some questions.

I'm not sure whether or not to go in as NCM or an officer.

Also debating between infantry and combat engineers, although if anybody has suggestions for other trades, happy to hear them (may be interested in pilot or MP/MPO)

That's bout it for now, not sure if this is the right place to post, but I'll post anyways I guess.

Kalenus13 said:
I'm not sure whether or not to go in as NCM or an officer.

Officer/NCM differences 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/171.0
23 pages.

Kalenus13 said:
Also debating between infantry and combat engineers,

Combat Engineer or Infantry 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/34091.100
5 pages.

Switching to Infantry or staying as a Combat Engineer
http://army.ca/forums/threads/109064.0
3 pages.

Kalenus13 said:
may be interested in pilot

The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/12744.0
55 pages.

Kalenus13 said:
or MP/MPO)

The Military Police [MP] Superthread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/4577.0/nowap.html
33 pages.

Questions about MP vs MPO 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/97835.50
3 pages.

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

Welcome to Army.ca, Kalenus13

As you can see from the links that mariomike kindly posted, there is a lot of information already on this Site, just ripe for the plucking.

Please take time to explore older threads, especially those stickied at the top of each forum. You will learn much that way, and likely find answers to questions before they even occur to you.

Hello to Kalenus13,

On top of above you may want to drop into your closest CFRC which you can find at the following link: http://www.forces.ca/en/centres/findarecruiter-110
And discuss your options with a Recruiter, your interests seem to vary and a Recruiter could assist in narrowing your list of interests based on your education and life experiences.

Best Regards

I'm starting to do some research on what trade I would like to join. My questions are as stated. 1) what are the advance specialties of infantry ( i know you can go onto being a sniper) but what else is there? and 2) what are the advance specialties of combat engineer ( i know you can go onto being a combat diver) but what else is there?

I guess also if there is any other info please share! I'm eager to learn!  e.g ( If i was to go engineer, I have a trade that is more applicable to outside jobs such as civil engineer)

thanks!

Welcome to Army.ca, T2dahM

Your questions have been asked and answered many times before, and there is no need to do so again.

Please spend some time reading through older threads, especially those stickied at the top of each forum, and try the Search Function. You will learn much more that way, and will likely find answers to other questions before they even occur to you.

Should you truly be unable to find an answer despite a thorough and honest search, people will be only too happy to provide an answer.

Topic locked.

Have a look at these:

https://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Infantryman

https://army.ca/wiki/index.php/Combat_Engineer

Hello everyone reading this,

I am currently attending university as a psychology major with a sociology minor, as of this coming Thursday I will have completed my first year (It went significantly well). Ever since I was just a boy I have had ambitions in joining the Canadian Armed Forces, as I have gotten older my reasoning behind it has evolved and changed. I have always had a deep respect and admiration for those serving our country in the Forces, a respect and admiration for all of you. Everyone has their own reasoning behind joining, as for myself: I want to serve my country, our interests, and I want to help those in this world who cannot help themselves, those who desperately need our help. As a Canadian I feel it is my duty to protect our country, and everything we stand for, I will do anything I am required to achieve that. I plan on joining the infantry as an officer when I complete my university degree, here is where things get intricate: I am currently in the process of enrolling as an Armoured Soldier through the reserves ( I have completed all steps required, I am just waiting on word back and it has been over a month since I have heard back), I live in Prince Edward Island and we do not have an infantry unit so I plan to work as a reservist in the armoured until I complete university where I will then apply for transfer to the infantry and go through the officers program. I have talked to my recruiter about this to which we said it would not be a problem. The reason I am not going through the officers program now is because I want to experience the military from a NCM's perspective before going officer, I want to experience this so I will be more effective as an officer and leader and be a better overall soldier to my men. My end game plan is to apply for CSOR selection after I am able, I hope to work as an operator. This is a career I have pondered extensively, I believe the Special Forces is a career I am likely to be the most useful in, and the most likely way to make an impact on this world like I wish to. When it comes to athletics, fitness, endurance, I only strive for the best. I am extremely focused, and I refuse to quit until I have given everything I have and excel past standards, this the way I have always been. I have looked through the CSOR physical requirements level 3 (highest) and they are requirements I am currently on the verge of achieving as well as already having achieved. I understand impeccable fitness is only part of the process, and that I will be tested vigorously on my mental abilities. I have a sharp mind, focus, and determination. I am certain I will be able to maintain my mental abilities, with a major in psychology and a minor in sociology I believe I could be rather useful mentally as well as physically. There is nothing more important to me than obtaining a future in the Canadian Armed Forces and being a part of CANSOFCOM, I have felt this way for years and I will continue to feel this way until I have achieved it. What I am wondering is this:
Will there be a problem in going from infantry officer to operator/assaulter if I am given the chance?
Based on the information I have given you, what kind of advice can you provide me?
Based on the information I have given you, what are your honest opinions?
Am I going to have a tough time transferring from armoured to infantry?

Additional Information:

I do plan on going through specialized courses before applying for CSOR selection while in the reserves such as: recce, pathfinder, assault troop, etc.

I do not smoke, and I am uninterested in drugs.

I am 19, I will have completed university by 22.

Thank you for taking the time to read this, I respect you all.

Welcome to Army.ca, KyleJ

I removed your duplicate post. Duplicate posts are considered to be spam and are not acceptable.

I am going to lock this one once I have finished my response, as you can find answers to your questions - plus others that have yet to occur to you - by reading existing threads already on this Site. There is no need for further duplication. There is enough of that already and it just complicates things for those who use the Search Function.

I suggest that you begin with the applicable threads stickied at the top of pertinent subfora. They are stickied for good reason. If, once you have explored and searched thoroughly, you still cannot find an answer to a question, then pose that question in the most suitable thread.

Happy reading.

Alrighty! So I will have to get right into my current situation (any and all information shared, I am fine with people knowing);

Weight: 150lbs
Height: 5'8-5'9
No children
No spouse

Build: Thin - Fit

Currently I am traveling across Canada on a motorized peddle bicycle I've built, so far I've clocked in six and a half weeks camping out in the woods with a couple campgrounds and rest stops here and there. I've traveled over 1500 kms exploring and adventuring along the way. I've traveled from Winnipeg, MB to Edmonton, AB so far and plan to travel to the coast, then back into the mountains, either to the Jasper or Banff area for the winter. I'll be setting up a short term shelter and camp to live through the winter to test myself and gain more skills and experience in the field of survival.

As for my current skills, it's hard to start at any one place, but I have experience doing nearly everything, my current skills are (descending order in years);

Painting (industrial & residential) - Automotive Body Technician & Painter - Cook - Drywall - Carpentry - Roofing - Concrete (industrial & residential) - Fencing - Landscaping - Flooring & Various other general labor jobs over the years.

I also have HR training and went to college for Business Administration, I've operated a couple different business (auto-body, residential painting and video game design). I have a small amount of experience in 3D design, modeling and animating, along with a small amount of computer programming knowledge. I'm quite skilled with Windows Office and computers in general (as most are my age - plus my Business Administration training), along with basic accounting and database software

I can grasp onto many languages quite well and enjoy learning them, currently I know "Hello" and "Goodbye" in over a dozen languages. I would love to become fully English - French bi-lingual and can understand a good majority of most French, unless it's spoken quickly. I can also mostly understand people speaking different languages incredibly well by paying attention to conjunctions and body language.

I can also gauge peoples emotional state, understanding and comprehension extremely well and have used that as an ESL teacher when I was in High School (I was graded as having university level reading, comprehension and writing when only in grade nine and was offered to be an ESL teacher because of those skills). Also, while in high-school and junior high I was both a student counselor (conflict resolution & student distress relief) and a part of the Student Counsel, I excelled at both roles. I gained more experience with all of those skills by being a security guard at the Canada Post office in downtown Winnipeg.

I excel in leadership roles and training others, because of my patience, understanding and ability to operate while under pressure. I full well understand the knowledge and skills needed to be a leader and look forward to being with the military to hone those skills and gain more applicable experience for any scenario.  :cdnsalute:

Now that everyone reading this has an understanding of me, my current situation and skills, here comes various questions;

• If I join the Reserves, is it only for the Army, can it be for Navy and Air reserves? (Altogether, or individually?)
    • If I join the Regular Army, can I be a part of all three or am I limited to one?
    • If I am limited to one, which would be best suited for me? (I would love to be a pilot, paratrooper and also be trained for ground based Special Operations, if possible)
    • What part of the army is best suited for someone who wants to travel and see the world? (I would be traveling the world regardless of joining the military)
    • Because I am also very spiritual and have studied various religions my entire life, I would want to be a Chaplain, but would not want to be forced into a prohibition of bearing arms. Is there a way that I can still work as a Chaplain within the military?
    • I feel I would be extremely suited as an officer, though would not want to be stuck behind a desk in any regard and would rather "get my boots wet" until I am incapable of serving at my best, is being an officer limited to desk duty?
    • I am not the greatest long distance runner, in any regard, what is the average recommended distance that I should train for? (I can walk for what seems unlimited kilometers, I've still yet walked a distance I couldn't handle, though with my 50-60lbs of gear I can walk easily 10 kms)
    • Which position within the military allows me to gain the most varied amount of skills and experience?

Added questions after reading and researching other posts that were not clearly outlined in the original post/thread:
    • Because I have no set residence and just travel and live where I want to (not quite a "homeless person" but still have no mailing address or place of residence) will that make it more difficult for enrollment? I live and work wherever I want to and live a free life, not being held down by conventional living standards and am a very clean well kept individual. (You wouldn't guess that I was actually homeless unless you asked me.)
    • Where should I apply to if I live in this type of situation? I am going to join the regular forces and do everything full-time and live on base for the duration of training before deployment. (If at all possible)
    • There are many choices of trades to take within the military and I am still unsure what would best suit my abilities and keep me challenged. When I was 19 I went to a recruiting office in Winnipeg and the recruitment officer was looking to get me into logistics... I'm not going to work as a warehouse person. (I honestly don't care about the paycheck, what I care about is the skills and experience I gain and what the military needs from me.)
    • When I join, I would like to do full-time training with very little respite between, am I forced to wait for specific dates for certain areas? Or could I simply travel to a new training site and continue training?
    • From the answers given Navy is a great way to travel and as mentioned, that's if you are LUCKY, though I'm not interesting in only port cities and want to focus on humanitarian missions for the most part. Because of all my current skills I feel I would be an asset to crews helping to rebuild or stabilize countries currently experiencing hardships such as Yemen, Syria, Sudan, etc.
    • Is the 2.4 kilometer in under 12 minutes still a standard? From the links received they are mostly older posts, just making sure that information is up to date. I feel I can do that easily as that is no distance at all at a light jogging speed, which I am fine with, it is full out running that taxes me as I am a smoker, though will be quitting within the month while out in my mountain excursion.

I will most likely add to this list and edit (strikeout) it as answers are given.

I hope this is not too much for people to handle, or maybe it is just enough, in any case, if anyone has questions, feel free to ask, I'm an open book.

Thanks everyone for taking your time to read all of this and for taking your time to reply.

I look forward to potentially becoming a part of the family and can't wait to gain the skills and experience I am looking for!

Will Flett

After reading through all of the links posted I've gained quite a bit of insight to most of my questions, other than my current living situation, that I will most likely need to wait for a reply on the Navy.ca forum that was listed as "General Questions regarding your application".

The rest of the information most likely I will end up receiving after completing an aptitude test through a recruiting agency.

I am still hoping to find someone who could suggest what kind of trade I should apply to, something that can challenge me (often I get bored if not challenged), something that can keep giving me more skills of various kinds (which is the reason why I want to join the CF).

I also understand that the best mentality of going into the application process is to almost accept whatever you can "deal with" for the longest amount of time. Honestly, I won't ever settle for that kind of mentality, I'm not looking for "just a paycheck" or for the government to pay for "free university or college". Simply put, I want to make a difference while doing something I love, if I'm not doing that, I'll continue doing what I'm already doing, I have no need to live in the average/normal paradigm.

The top five things I love to do, in order;
    [list type=decimal]
  • Help People
  • Work in a Team
  • Be a Leader
  • Gain Skills & Experience
  • Travel

Because of this, I figure CF is the place for me, for life.  :cdnsalute:    :cdn:[/list]

WFlett said:
If I join the Reserves, is it only for the Army, can it be for Navy and Air reserves? (Altogether, or individually?)

QUESTIONS about JOINING THE RESERVES 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/16735.125
11 pages.

WFlett said:
If I join the Regular Army, can I be a part of all three or am I limited to one?

Purple Trades: Definition & Trg Discussion 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/22558.200
11 pages.

WFlett said:
If I am limited to one, which would be best suited for me? (I would love to be a pilot, paratrooper and also be trained for ground

The "So You Want To Be A Pilot" Merged Thread 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/12744.0
55 pages.

WFlett said:
What part of the army is best suited for someone who wants to travel and see the world? (I would be traveling the world regardless of joining the military)

Navy good career to see the world?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/65076.0
2 pages.

WFlett said:
Because I am also very spiritual and have studied various religions my entire life, I would want to be a Chaplain, but would not want to be forced into a prohibition of bearing arms. Is there a way that I can still work as a Chaplain within the military?

Chaplain
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&biw=1280&bih=603&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++chaplain&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++chaplain&gs_l=psy-ab.3...27586.31683.0.33619.13.13.0.0.0.0.97.976.13.13.0.foo%2Cersl%3D1%2Cfett%3D1%2Cewh%3D0%2Cnso-enksa%3D0%2Cnso-enfk%3D1%2Cnso-usnt%3D1%2Cnso-qnt-npqp%3D0-1%2Cnso-qnt-npdq%3D0-45%2Cnso-qnt-npt%3D0-09%2Cnso-qnt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mnp%3D0-045%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mxp%3D0-1125%2Cnso-unt-npqp%3D0-15%2Cnso-unt-npdq%3D0-25%2Cnso-unt-npt%3D0-06%2Cnso-unt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mnp%3D0-0075%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mxp%3D0-0525...0...1.1.64.psy-ab..0.0.0.u_bHYmsNVVc

Padre
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&biw=1280&bih=603&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++padre&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++padre&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.14742.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.foo%2Cersl%3D1%2Cfett%3D1%2Cewh%3D0%2Cnso-enksa%3D0%2Cnso-enfk%3D1%2Cnso-usnt%3D1%2Cnso-qnt-npqp%3D0-1%2Cnso-qnt-npdq%3D0-45%2Cnso-qnt-npt%3D0-09%2Cnso-qnt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mnp%3D0-045%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mxp%3D0-1125%2Cnso-unt-npqp%3D0-15%2Cnso-unt-npdq%3D0-25%2Cnso-unt-npt%3D0-06%2Cnso-unt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mnp%3D0-0075%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mxp%3D0-0525...0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0.cvrUIMrG9ZQ

WFlett said:
I feel I would be extremely suited as an officer, though would not want to be stuck behind a desk in any regard and would rather "get my boots wet" until I am incapable of serving at my best, is being an officer limited to desk duty?

Comparing the job of Officer vs NCM [MERGED]
https://army.ca/forums/threads/171.0
25 pages.

WFlett said:
I am not the greatest long distance runner, in any regard, what is the average recommended distance that I should train for? (I can walk for what seems unlimited kilometers, I've still yet walked a distance I couldn't handle, though with my 50-60lbs of gear I can walk easily 10 kms)

Running: Training, Problems, Techniques, Questions, etc 
https://army.ca/forums/threads/22788.0/nowap.html
19 pages.

Running
https://www.google.ca/search?rls=com.microsoft%3Aen-CA%3AIE-Address&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&biw=1280&bih=603&q=site%3Aarmy.ca++running&oq=site%3Aarmy.ca++running&gs_l=psy-ab.12...0.0.0.13011.0.0.0.0.0.0.0.0..0.0.foo%2Cersl%3D1%2Cfett%3D1%2Cewh%3D0%2Cnso-enksa%3D0%2Cnso-enfk%3D1%2Cnso-usnt%3D1%2Cnso-qnt-npqp%3D0-1%2Cnso-qnt-npdq%3D0-45%2Cnso-qnt-npt%3D0-09%2Cnso-qnt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mnp%3D0-045%2Ccspa-dspm-nm-mxp%3D0-1125%2Cnso-unt-npqp%3D0-15%2Cnso-unt-npdq%3D0-25%2Cnso-unt-npt%3D0-06%2Cnso-unt-ndc%3D300%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mnp%3D0-0075%2Ccspa-uipm-nm-mxp%3D0-0525...0...1..64.psy-ab..0.0.0.CchiIQkoUng

WFlett said:
Which position within the military allows me to gain the most varied amount of skills and experience?

Forces.ca
Canadian Armed Forces jobs
https://www.canada.ca/en/department-national-defence/services/caf-jobs.html

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of up to date information.

You want to be a Pilot,a Paratrooper but also trained for the ground?  I assume you mean trained to fight on the ground?  Well, a Pilot fighting on the ground is probably a sign things went bad for them. Also, once a Paratrooper lands in the ground they will do whatever their job is(Infantry, Engineer, Medic, etc). You also don't join as a Paratrooper or get that training guaranteed. You also can't join as Special Forces, you will need some time in the military before you can try out for that. The 

A Chaplain will not carry a weapon or be employed in a role that requires the use of a weapon. It's a non combatant role, regardless if you want to be armed or not.

Reading the threads Mario Mike posted, will help you better understand the military and Reserves vs Regular Force.

Also, if want to travel the world, etc. With the current Op Tempo, I would recommend looking at Air Force and Navy trades.

Thank you very much mariomike for all of the links to my various questions, I had looked at most of them already before posting my own thread, such as the Chaplaincy course, which is how I knew you needed to be a non combatant and prohibited from bearing arms.

As for Lightfighter; Yes, I am well aware that having necessary training as a paratrooper means that you are mainly trained for ground missions, which is kind of why I was mentioning, I would rather be on the ground. Though I would love to be something like an "auxiliary pilot", be trained as both a "air bus", jet fighter pilot and a helicopter pilot. Though mostly it is just to gain the experience and if need be, be capable of piloting either types of craft if the need arose or something happened to my pilot and co-pilot.

Thanks for mentioning that you can not join specifically as a paratrooper, though, as mentioned, it is more skills that I would love to gain. I've always wanted to sky-dive, base jump and be capable of using wing-suits, all of which I think would be great experience and knowledge to be a paratrooper, infantry and as mentioned, Spec Ops.

I was also well aware that you would have to be within the military for some time before even attempting to join a Spec Ops team; what I was wondering was how long do you need to be in the military to join it, what special skills and training you should receive before even applying. Also what type of special operations unit would best suit my current capabilities.

In any case, thank you both again for replying to my thread, I will be spending the rest of the day reading and researching it all in depth.

I wouldn't mind a more personalized response still from people within the different fields to give me pointers and suggestions, which is why I posted in the forums instead of just reading the different FAQ pages. Though honestly, this helped me save quite a bit of research time, instead of reading unnecessary information to my relevant questions. Eventually, I will read all of the FAQ just to gain a wide range of knowledge about the military.

WFlett said:
Thank you very much mariomike for all of the links to my various questions,

You are welcome. Good luck.  :)

WFlett said:
I was also well aware that you would have to be within the military for some time before even attempting to join a Spec Ops team; what I was wondering was how long do you need to be in the military to join it, what special skills and training you should receive before even applying. Also what type of special operations unit would best suit my current capabilities.

Canadian Special Operations Regiment (CSOR)
https://army.ca/forums/threads/35793.450
23 pages.

WFlett said:
Though I would love to be something like an "auxiliary pilot", be trained as both a "air bus", jet fighter pilot and a helicopter pilot. Though mostly it is just to gain the experience and if need be, be capable of piloting either types of craft if the need arose or something happened to my pilot and co-pilot.

Unless you are a pilot, you will not be trained as a pilot. Also, even a Pilot will not be trained on every aircraft in the CAF.

WFlett said:
Thanks for mentioning that you can not join specifically as a paratrooper, though, as mentioned, it is more skills that I would love to gain. I've always wanted to sky-dive, base jump and be capable of using wing-suits, all of which I think would be great experience and knowledge to be a paratrooper, infantry and as mentioned, Spec Ops.

You won't be trained to BASE jump or use wing suits in the CAF.  Also the only sky diving within the CAF would be the Sky Hawks.  During your career in the CAF you may get an opportunity to attend Basic Para, Free Fall, etc or you may never get that chance. 

WFlett said:
I was also well aware that you would have to be within the military for some time before even attempting to join a Spec Ops team; what I was wondering was how long do you need to be in the military to join it, what special skills and training you should receive before even applying. Also what type of special operations unit would best suit current capabilities.

You need a couple years(I believe 2 for Regular Force) in and be trade qualified to apply for CANSOFCOM.  You don't need to learn any special skills, etc before applying to CANSOF. They will train you for the role you apply for after selection. Members from various trades(including non Combat Arms, Navy and Air Force) have successfully become JTF2 Assaulters and CSOR Operators.  As for what SOF is best suited to your skills, well get some time in, learn your job and research CANSOF units than apply to the one you feel you would like to join. Read up on their specific roles and go from there.

WFlett said:
I wouldn't mind a more personalized response still from people within the different fields to give me pointers and suggestions, which is why I posted in the forums instead of just reading the different FAQ pages. Though honestly, this helped me save quite a bit of research time, instead of reading unnecessary information to my relevant questions. Eventually, I will read all of the FAQ just to gain a wide range of knowledge about the military.

What kind of personalized response are you looking for?  MarioMike posted numerous links with info to questions you asked. The info wasn't directly posted here but is available in the threads posted as well as other related info. Also, some of your posts seems like you want people to tell you what job to apply for, or what SOF unit to apply dor(ambitious considering you are a couple years from that at least)this is something you will have to do yourself. 

Once you read up more and get specific questions, ask.  This reply has been my personal reply to you, and I'm in the Infantry which is one of the roles you were interested in.

Unfortunately, no "personalized" answer based on a set of "skills" (as opposed to degree) is really possible since we all know that , once you're hired in the CAF, your skills ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-s1s5K52zEQ

Sorry!  ;D

• If I join the Reserves, is it only for the Army, can it be for Navy and Air reserves? (Altogether, or individually?)

• You can not be a member of all 3 at the same time, you are either Army, Navy or Air Force.

[quote
  • If I join the Regular Army, can I be a part of all three or am I limited to one?
[/quote]
Like above, you can't be a member of all 3 at the same time. However depending on your trade you may be able to work with all 3, example a Medic posted to an Army unit than later on posted to an Air Force unit, etc. 

[quote
  • If I am limited to one, which would be best suited for me? (I would love to be a pilot, paratrooper and also be trained for ground based Special Operations, if possible)
[/quote]
Which ever one has the job you are most interested in. Also any trade can apply for CANSOFCOM

• What part of the army is best suited for someone who wants to travel and see the world? (I would be traveling the world regardless of joining the military)

• Travel really comes down to luck, what is going on, etc. Some get to travel all over, some never see anything other than Wainwright.  If you wish to travel often, I would recommend looking at the Air Force and Navy.

[*]Because I am also very spiritual and have studied various religions my entire life, I would want to be a Chaplain, but would not want to be forced into a prohibition of bearing arms. Is there a way that I can still work as a Chaplain within the military?

Padres do not carry weapons, even if they wanted to.  That won't change to accommodate you.

• I feel I would be extremely suited as an officer, though would not want to be stuck behind a desk in any regard and would rather "get my boots wet" until I am incapable of serving at my best, is being an officer limited to desk duty?

Depends on the job, but there will be desk work for all. An Infantry Officers first posting into battalion will be as a Platoon Commander, and you will be out in the field with the platoon leading them. Your time as a Platoon Commander won't last forever and you will be posted to various positions in and out of battalion.

Even as a NCM there is office work(we aren't training non stop) especially once you get into leadership positions.

• I am not the greatest long distance runner, in any regard, what is the average recommended distance that I should train for? (I can walk for what seems unlimited kilometers, I've still yet walked a distance I couldn't handle, though with my 50-60lbs of gear I can walk easily 10 kms)
[/wuote]

Run for at least 5km in 30mins to start for BMQ prep.  Past BMQ, you may be taken on runs up to 10km(possibly longer) depending on your trade courses and unit.  If you go Infantry during ex or on course, operation, etc you can carry far more than 50lbs, and you won't be well rested for it.  The better overall shape you are in the better.

• Which position within the military allows me to gain the most varied amount of skills and experience?

All will have opportunities for various skills/qualifications; but not one single trade opens every door for courses, postings, opportunities, etc. Most of the courses you go in will revolve around your job and career progression.

I assessed you're strengths and weaknesses and came up with regular force infantry non-commissioned member.

Bam.

Again, thanks everyone for replying to my thread, I've updated/edited my main post to strike-out answers I've found or question that no longer pertain to what I was looking for.

Although a paycheck is not necessary, I do still want to be commissioned, unless as a non-commissioned, sergeant for example or equivalent I would still receive a paycheck? I do plan to pay for my own gear and specialized equipment and re-invest my military career income into non-profit organizations and for other advanced training programs, such as my own training base jumping, wing-suit use and other such skills that are not included in the CAF training programs.

As mentioned, skills and experience is wealth to me, not money, but money is necessary to pay for these training programs.

WFlett said:
Although a paycheck is not necessary, I do still want to be commissioned, unless as a non-commissioned, sergeant for example or equivalent I would still receive a paycheck?

Uh, yes...NCMs get paid.  They aren't in it purely for kicks, ya know.

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/caf-community-pay/reg-force-ncm-class-c-rates.page

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back