• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G8/G20 June 2010 Protest Watch

Innocuous items would not result in the first two nor the last two charges, but perhaps only the middle two. There's more to this yet.

Wanna draw media attention without violence and balloons full of crap?  Want to show your commitment to a cause?  This from the G&M:
As world leaders, their entourages and demonstrators arrive in Huntsville in helicopters, tinted-glass cars and buses, Sekiguchi Toyoshige found a more primitive means of getting here: His legs.

The Japanese Buddhist monk began his pilgrimage from Toronto June 11 and arrived in Huntsville Tuesday afternoon, walking about 20 kilometres a day. He said the peace-walk was to encourage G8 leaders meeting here later this week to abolish the use of nuclear weapons and support harmony between religions.

As he rested for dinner at a local Huntsville restaurant Tuesday night, the 45-year-old did not appear tired. “Not so hard,” he said of his trek. “Everybody can do that.”

He plans to walk around town beating his drum, praying and chanting while the leaders meet at the nearby Deerhurst Resort, before making his way back to Toronto for the G20 - by car, this time.
Monkandpeacewalk_720621artw.jpg

mariomike said:
"Toronto Police Service officers executed a search warrant at 58 Elderwood Drive, in the Bathurst and Lawrence area of Toronto."

Elderwood Drive is well south of Eglinton, in Forest Hills.

What's your point?

recceguy said:
What's your point?

That the TPS have yet to master Google maps?  8)

In other news some numpty left a suitcase unattended on the platform at the Queens Park subway station during rush hour this morning and that had the station closed and sealed off for afew hours just making those of us dumb enough ot come downtown to work this week just a bit less "happy campers" than normal. ::)

milnews.ca said:
Wanna draw media attention without violence and balloons full of crap?  Want to show your commitment to a cause?  This from the G&M:
Monkandpeacewalk_720621artw.jpg

Imagine that, a peaceful protest AND he got in the news with his message AND I read his message. This gentleman I like and respect.

Perhaps if the rest of the protesters were near as creative, there would be less of a requirement for security and more of their message getting out.

Oh well, at least I will get free entertainment on Sat... I restocked on beer and popcorn, gonna watch the whole thing on CBC and CTV from the safety of my home.  :)

I also he mis spelled one of the cities' names:
It's "Tranna", not "Tronto" ;D

Technoviking said:
I also he mis spelled one of the cities' names:
It's "Tranna", not "Tronto" ;D
Only the old fogeys say "Tranna" now. All the kewl kids at the protest call it "T Dot." ::)

So it appears the police have tested theri special billion dollar anti protester earthquake machine today.

Danjanou said:
So it appears the police have tested theri special billion dollar anti protester earthquake machine today.
Hey, we joke, but I'd bet a loonie....

Danjanou said:
Only the old fogeys say "Tranna" now. All the kewl kids at the protest call it "T Dot." ::)

I prefer to call it Moronto. Of course, all of my good acquaintances there are simply victims of circumstance and not derision. ;)

Michael O'Leary said:
Like walking through an airport muttering the word "bomb", whether or not there is one you're still an idiot and you deserve exactly what response you receive.

Considering his job is to find holes in IT security, maybe he was testing the authourities security computers keeping watch of the internet and purchases of potential terrorists without their knowledge. I remember toying with the idea of doing something like years ago, but limited to just browsing various flagged websites and information, just to see what sort of attention I would get from big brother.

mellian said:
Considering his job is to find holes in IT security, maybe he was testing the authourities security computers keeping watch of the internet and purchases of potential terrorists without their knowledge. I remember toying with the idea of doing something like years ago, but limited to just browsing various flagged websites and information, just to see what sort of attention I would get from big brother.

Big Brother?  ::)

"just to see what sort of attention I would get from big brother." - Mother didn't give you enough attention as a child? It's a well known reason for juvenile  acting out.

recceguy said:
I prefer to call it Moronto. Of course, all of my good acquaintances there are simply victims of circumstance and not derision. ;)

Sumbody has to live here, R-G.  :)

Teflon said:
Big Brother?  ::)

"just to see what sort of attention I would get from big brother." - Mother didn't give you enough attention as a child? It's a well known reason for juvenile  acting out.

I did say years ago and obviously did not do it or any other silly ideas.  ::)

mellian said:
I did say years ago and obviously did not do it or any other silly ideas.  ::)

That's ok I sure she really did love you  ::)

mellian said:
Considering his job is to find holes in IT security, maybe he was testing the authourities security computers keeping watch of the internet and purchases of potential terrorists without their knowledge.0

Uh, yeah, we see news stories of authorized security systems "secret shoppers" being arrested all the time.  ::)

I really like how he carefully masked his real purpose with weapons, explosives and intimidation as window dressing. Would you now like to make the case that maybe he's just an out-of-work actor getting into character for a yet-to-be-written role as a terrorist for the Toronto "off-Broadway" circuit?

You do know that some people get arrested because they are actually committing crimes, right?

Michael O'Leary said:
Uh, yeah, we see news stories of authorized security systems "secret shoppers" being arrested all the time.  ::)

"Considering his job is to find holes in IT security, maybe he was testing the authourities security computers keeping watch of the internet and purchases of potential terrorists without their knowledge."

Of course it was not authourized.

You do know that some people get arrested because they are actually committing crimes, right?

I am not saying he did not, I am suggesting that it may be plausible that, considering the mention career of his, he may of done it out of his curiousity to see what sort of attention he may attract, not out getting ready to commit terrorism.

Can you provide an official reference for this "I was just curious" legal defence you seem to be alluding to?

Michael O'Leary said:
Can you provide an official reference for this "I was just curious" legal defence you seem to be alluding to?

milnews.ca said:
Jesse Hirsch, a "Broadcaster, Speaker, Researcher and Strategist" who we hear from time to time on CBC Radio talking about IT issues, shares these tidbits via his Twitter feed - first Tweet links to CBC.ca story above:
A bit more from CBC.ca and the National Post.

Jesse Hirsch, a "Broadcaster, Speaker, Researcher and Strategist" who we hear from time to time on CBC Radio talking about IT issues, shares these tidbits via his Twitter feed - first Tweet links to CBC.ca story above:

HackLabTO & Surveillance Club member Byron Sonne has been arrested http://bit.ly/bbBhiA He had planned to monitor police & share via twitter

Byron also indicated he was trying to trigger alerts by buying innocuous items. Seems he successfully got their attention.

Back