• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

G8/G20 June 2010 Protest Watch

57Chevy said:
I don't see any problem with that.
If I so happen to have been there and a police officer approached me for one reason or another,
asking me to produce my ID, I would have produced it outright. Why not ? What infringement on
my rights would that constitute ?  I have nothing to hide.....I am not there to make any sort of
trouble.
I would assume that he would be in the right to ask me for my ID. Wouldn't I ? Why would I say
no ? To cause some sort of provocation ? A shadow of suspicion ?
That shouldn't bother anyone. How many times does our IDs come flying out of our wallets when
it for our own benefit. Like making a police report. Or to the LCBO (for the younger guys).
And if the police officer told me that I was in a place where I shouldn't be.....I would leave.
I think that is what most people in their right state of mind would do.
Even if the police splattered posters of said regulations all over town......Instigators would have ripped them down and things might have turned out even worse.

Would you feel the same if you were in your uniform walking to work and the police stopped you in a high speed take down, asked you what you were doing and when you said you were not a part of the protests and produced your ID they arrested you anyways and kept you locked up for nearly 2 days?

http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontog20summit/article/830858--ttc-worker-caught-in-g20-police-sweep

Even if the police would have put up posters that were torn down, it shows a due diligence by the police to inform the public. If the posters are taken down then the blame shifts to those responsible.

I don't understand why the cops are snatching people out of the crowd (okay I do) but didn't eyes on and storm the street when the black block was smashing stuff.

Unrelated
I got a kick out of the cop at 20 seconds into the video, she looks like something from clash of the titans.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u6XgEI5dCrE&feature=player_embedded

That's pretty unfortunate for that one person. I agree. But......how many people who were asked to
produce an ID or move back somewhat did so without hesitation. Quite a few I imagine. You won't
be finding any of those videos on youtube.
The police did in fact inform the public through many national and local newspapers..........to little
avail to the provocative protester type, of course.
Of the second video..........She's quite the scary one ;D

Apollo Diomedes said:
I'm not biased towards McGuinty, I hardly know who the guy is. I couldn't identify him if his picture was infront of me.

Think Norman Bates.

Hopefully this will be the last of the news articles on this subject ::)
  _______________________________________________________________________________
Holding G20 summit Toronto was a 'mistake': Poll

On the heels of a costly G20 summit that saw violent clashes between protesters and police, an Ipsos Reid poll says more than two-thirds of Toronto-area residents believe it was a mistake to hold the summit in their city.

Sixty-two per cent of Canadians also agreed it was a mistake, according to the poll — conducted for Global News and CFRB Radio.

However, 44 per cent of Canadians and 39 per cent of Toronto-area residents agreed that "despite the inconvenience and problems, the G20 summit was worth having in Toronto given the actual results reached by leaders."

Federal officials have faced harsh criticism, both before and after the G20 summit, over concerns the meeting was an expensive, unnecessary disruption in the heart of Canada's largest city.

Restaurants have claimed losses in revenue and some social justice groups have called for a public inquiry into police conduct during the summit.

Amid protests that saw police cars burned, windows smashed and police clash violently with protesters, there were over 1,000 arrests — many of which critics claim were unjustified.

Representatives from the Council of Canadians, Toronto Street Medics and a group of university professors, among others, continued to allege Monday that people were detained without reasonable and probable grounds, sexually harassed, denied access to counsel and left in handcuffs for extended periods of time while detained.

Nearly 1,100 people were arrested, with 714 charged with breach of peace before eventually being released.

Ryan White, a lawyer with a group called the Movement Defence Committee, said about 16 people are still in custody facing charges.

Ontario Premier Dalton McGuinty has so far refused to call for a public inquiry.

Despite this, the Ipsos poll indicates many in Toronto had no problem with the police conduct.

Eighty-one per cent of Toronto-area residents and 76 per cent of Canadians overall said they believed the police did a good job during the summit, "all things considered," the poll reported.

Seventy-four per cent of Toronto-area residents and 71 per cent of Canadians said they agreed that the police "properly balanced appropriate force and restraint given the circumstances . . ."

Seventy-one per cent of Canadians said they agreed that police were prepared to handle "violent hooligans" in Toronto, while 29 per cent of Canadians disagreed.

The majority of Canadians and Toronto-area residents said they agreed that the police found a good balance between protecting the summit leaders and allowing people to voice their views on the street.

A minority — 34 per cent of Canadians and 29 per cent of Toronto-area residents — disagreed.

The poll was conducted between June 30 and July 5, 2010 and a sample of 1,859 Canadian adults, 683 from the Greater Toronto Area, were interviewed online.
The poll has an estimated margin of error of 2.3 percentage points, plus or minus, 19 times out of 10.
http://www.montrealgazette.com/news/canada/Holding+summit+Toronto+mistake+Poll/3238763/story.html#ixzz0sr2CGoyO

(Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act)

Remember the LRAD court cases?  Bottom line of decisions issued today:  TPS has changed its SOPs (in line with OPP), so the court says they're good to go using it on land, even in "Alert" mode (with new rules in line with OPP).

July 6, 2010:

"Toronto police board orders civilian review of G20 security: The Toronto police services board has called for an independent civilian review of the way security was handled by police during the G20 summit.":
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontog20summit/article/832542--g20-security-to-get-long-look-from-independent-civilian

This from the police board:
TORONTO POLICE SERVICES BOARD ESTABLISHES
INDEPENDENT CIVILIAN REVIEW OF THE OVERSIGHT OF G20 POLICING

Toronto – The Toronto Police Services Board is establishing an Independent Civilian Review, to identify and study issues raised by the public and Board members regarding oversight, governance, accountability, transparency and the communications and supervision issues arising from a multi-jurisdictional model of policing in the context of the governance role and policies of the Toronto Police Services Board.

“In the week since the G20 Summit, the Board has taken the time to meet, identify issues and concerns and develop a reasoned approach to review the oversight and policy aspects of policing at the G20 Summit,” said Toronto Police Services Board Chair Alok Mukherjee. “We believe that this Independent Civilian Review is the most appropriate way forward and is in keeping with the Board’s history of taking measured and reasoned approaches to key civilian oversight issues.”

Subject to the Terms of Reference developed by the Reviewer, in consultation with the Board, the Reviewer may seek the input of any individuals, agencies, organizations or associations who have information that could assist in the review.

In addition, the Reviewer will review relevant legal authorities, policies and practices as well as decision-making structures and processes with respect to policing in place during the Summit.

Following completion of the Independent Civilian Review, the Reviewer will submit a report to the Board with recommendations related to policy, structural and systemic issues for consideration and any action, as deemed necessary.

Highlights mine:
.... An aversion to these armed, dangerous and blatantly unaccountable forces of the corporate state has been framed in court in the language of mental disAbility. According to the courts, those who hate cops are engaging in anti-social and mentally unstable behaviours. We find this ludicrous. Hating cops is a perfectly valid and celebrated response to systematic, organized thuggery and repression.

To dissent by any means necessary against the systems that oppress us is not a sign of mental instability. Rather, this dissent is a brief glimpse of sanity in a world clearly gone insane. Building constructive alternatives is of course fundamental, but so too are the acts that tear down all that collaboratively oppress us. Shattered banks and police cars engulfed in flames, far from being a scene of carnage, are truly beautiful things. They mark a crack in the facade, a weakness in the dam that attempts to hold us from bursting through in an expression our overflowing love and rage, waves that nourish our communities in expressions of true freedom ....

This is why one presumes worst-case scenarios in assessing public security needs (and how much it costs) - more (if you can stomach it) in the attached.

July 07, 2010:
The Canadian Press:

"Another G20 in Toronto? No thanks says premier:
TORONTO - Ontario's premier says he'd rather not see another G20 summit in Toronto — ever.":

http://ca.news.yahoo.com/indepth/id_world_economy/s/capress/100707/national/g8_g20_no_more_1

I don't blame him one iota.
As I said before, they should always hold such mettings
somewhere near the most northerly coast of our country. :whistle:

57Chevy said:
I don't blame him one iota.
As I said before, they should always hold such mettings
somewhere near the most northerly coast of our country. :whistle:

What if they held a G20 and 19 of the 20 decided to go somewhere warmer?

Where Canada decides to host its next G20 likely will not be an issue for twenty years.

Sun:
"Boosting post-G20 tourism a priority: Luring tourists back to Toronto’s downtown area following the chaotic and violent G20 weekend is a top priority for businesses and city officials.":
http://www.torontosun.com/news/torontoandgta/2010/07/07/14634956.html

"City council commends “outstanding” police G20 work:
Ford says no inquiry needed, police were “too nice”:
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/torontog20summit/article/833106--city-council-commends-outstanding-police-g20-work

"Police union chief dismisses G20 review:
The head of the Toronto Police union is calling an independent civilian review of G20 policing a "lame duck" inquiry because it has no legal power to effect changes in police operations.":
http://www.cbc.ca/politics/story/2010/07/07/mccormack-g20-police-review414.html

Tess, I am dumbfounded by that one... Shooting from the hip without all data is never advised, in that the "soldier" who posted is correct... Then he turns around and shoots from the hip without all the data.

Christ.

the 48th regulator said:

Ya know Tess, it has been pointed out so many times here on this site about what the CF does and what the "Armchair Generals" at home are commenting on.  Here we can see the same thing.  A rant set off by the "Caribou" of a relative Eric J had who was silly enough not to stay at home and watch the "play by play" on TV, but had to go out and partake in the nonsense.  Just like in the military that Eric J serves and gets orders from, so did the Police.  Were they always the best orders to give or follow can also be equated to those that Eric J gets as a Service member.  I am sure even Eric J has had indecisive, confusing and/or bad orders given to him to follow.  Still not an excuse for mistakes at higher levels, but then how many here have seen first hand all the behind the scenes decision making.  I am just as sure that 99.9999% of the people reading this have no idea of what "intelligence" the various agencies gathered on the various anarchist and protest groups that would have lead to the tactics witnessed in people being grabbed from out of a crowd and arrested.  Even now the Police are asking for photos and video from the thousands of "witnesses/participants" to add to those they already have to convict the anarchists still in jail.

Caribou:  Has to be the dumbest animal on the planet.  Grazes in a herd numbering in the thousands, yet when hunted does not have the brains to stampede.  Sheeple would stampede.  Not Caribou.  Watch the G20 footage.  Caribou.

I am on the belief that he/she is not a serving over in the Sanbox soldier.

Knowledgeable yes, but, I call BS.  Then again.......I am revolutionary in some of my thoughts...

dileas

tess

the 48th regulator said:
I am on the belief that he/she is not a serving over in the Sanbox soldier.

Knowledgeable yes, but, I call BS.  Then again.......I am revolutionary in some of my thoughts...

dileas

tess

Did the "I managed to fight and win battles while vastly outnumbered, against a heavily armed, mobile, guerilla force with as few as 10 fellow Canadians." set off your spider senses?

George Wallace said:
Did the "I managed to fight and win battles while vastly outnumbered, against a heavily armed, mobile, guerilla force with as few as 10 fellow Canadians." set off your spider senses?

Set off mine... But alas, I am being, diplomatic, and giving him a shred of possibility.

George Wallace said:

The fact that a blog quoted from a "reputable" media called the Torontoist....

dileas

tess

Back