• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

FWSAR (CC130H, Buffalo, C27J, V22): Status & Possibilities

Years ago I suggested that we lease a few along with US flight crews to test it in the Arctic and FWSAR role. Data from those tests would inform the next generation of aircraft and viability of these hybrid aircraft in the SAR role.

I would wager that you wouldn’t find many rotary SAR aircrew complaining about flying either the Osprey or a Chinook, compared to a Cormorant. The only hard data points I have in the Cormorant v Chinook category was unanimous “WTF were we thinking?” in favor of the Hook.

And a few comments on why the 295 was not the right to choice to make. And then “we did it!”.
Of course we did! I mean I know this won't make sense to anybody who hasn't been in, but...like...why wouldn't we? 😅

I sprained both ankles on my second jump there. Since I was in no mood to re-do J stage, I tied my combat boots as tight as I could and hobbled off the DZ. Luckily, we got stop dropped for a blizzard the next day which gave me time rest up and it considerably softened the DZ after that…
Geesus, where was this place!? And why was it even a thing??
You shouldn’t hit the tail on a Herc when hung up. Bounced on the airframe if a door exit - yes, but even on a ramp the A/C would need to actively try to dive you into the tail.
So even further reason to not piss in their helmet bag. Solid copy.

We can't even use that line as an excuse - the aircraft is Spanish

New Girl Facepalm GIF by HULU
Oh contraire!

Airbus is now a huge part of the Quebec aerospace industry. Really going forward the largest one. With the A220 now being an Airbus program watch from many more Airbus products coming our way. The government will have to keep contracts rolling to maintain that A220 production base in Quebec. It won't be a direct link but it will be implied in every contract going forward.

I sprained both ankles on my second jump there. Since I was in no mood to re-do J stage, I tied my combat boots as tight as I could and hobbled off the DZ. Luckily, we got stop dropped for a blizzard the next day which gave me time rest up and it considerably softened the DZ after that…

2 sprained ankles must = "feet and knees together". I bet your PI said "good job...give me 25 for each!". 😁

Ref the underlined part...I seem to remember a Van Doo Cpl on the Franco course who sprained or broke an ankle on the night jump and sucked it up on the ramp jump for the same reason. A level of motivation I'd not seen previous on the folks on BP - I think 1 pers went off the Mock Tower 20-some times to get his check.

Geesus, where was this place!? And why was it even a thing??

Back in the day, the CABC (Cdn Airborne Center) and Canadian Forces Parachute Maintenance Center were located in Griesbach (Edmonton). The CABC building and Mock Tower were close to the old DB; IIRC, students were housed in MacKenzie Barracks. There was a decent bar (Boca's Beach Club) within walking distance of the Main Gate.

"Nosedock" (where you would kit up, manifest and board the plane) was out at Lancaster Park (where Base Edmonton is now). Drop Zone Buxton was close to there, with the control tower and the famous monument to CWO Buxton, who was the RSM of the CAR who died on a MFF jump on the DZ.

At the end of Week 2, after completing all PCs, students who were moving on to Week 3 (Jump Stage or J-Stage) were taken out to Lancaster Park, shown around NOSEDOCK and Herc, then taken out to the DZ Control Tower. While there, we went single file past the Monument to read it before going back to Griesbach. There was a certain...effect on some/most of us after that.

I think we finished that week to a place called JR's All American on the other side of the city, 2 for 1 highballs. 😁

I was there late winter '92. Sometime after that, everything moved to Trenton.

It was one of the best 3 weeks I spent in the CF; injuries aside.BZ Buxton Monument.jpg

If the problems with the 295 are not solvable maybe we need to find another job for them in the RCAF? Or give them to Ukraine?

Replace with C130J?

The 295s are config'd for air ops in a permissive environment. Outside of SAR, the only task I could see them reasonably used for would be maritime surveillance in Dom Ops tasks (as currently kitted out). But, all of the money used to maintain, gas and crew them and the associated YFR would come out of....where?

The 295s are config'd for air ops in a permissive environment. Outside of SAR, the only task I could see them reasonably used for would be maritime surveillance in Dom Ops tasks (as currently kitted out). But, all of the money used to maintain, gas and crew them and the associated YFR would come out of....where?
DFO

DFO is already flying Dash 8's, eventually it may make sense to convert to the same airframe, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, unless their aircraft are having issues.

Back in the day, the CABC (Cdn Airborne Center) and Canadian Forces Parachute Maintenance Center were located in Griesbach (Edmonton). The CABC building and Mock Tower were close to the old DB; IIRC, students were housed in MacKenzie Barracks. There was a decent bar (Boca's Beach Club) within walking distance of the Main Gate.

"Nosedock" (where you would kit up, manifest and board the plane) was out at Lancaster Park (where Base Edmonton is now). Drop Zone Buxton was close to there, with the control tower and the famous monument to CWO Buxton, who was the RSM of the CAR who died on a MFF jump on the DZ.

At the end of Week 2, after completing all PCs, students who were moving on to Week 3 (Jump Stage or J-Stage) were taken out to Lancaster Park, shown around NOSEDOCK and Herc, then taken out to the DZ Control Tower. While there, we went single file past the Monument to read it before going back to Griesbach. There was a certain...effect on some/most of us after that.

I think we finished that week to a place called JR's All American on the other side of the city, 2 for 1 highballs. 😁

I was there late winter '92. Sometime after that, everything moved to Trenton.

It was one of the best 3 weeks I spent in the CF; injuries aside.View attachment 70640
IIRC it moved sometime in ‘95 or ‘96
I went through CABC, but I know guys in my Platoon in 1VP Calgary, who went through Trenton, and the BN moved summer of ‘97

DFO is already flying Dash 8's, eventually it may make sense to convert to the same airframe, but I don't see that happening anytime soon, unless their aircraft are having issues.
PAL just newly converted airframes for that contract and TC added another -8 to NASP, so it would be a case of casting something down that wasn’t wanted, or spec’d, etc. And to be honest, overkill to the task.

Rumour has it, a base-wide email was sent out to address the current housing crisis in Comox. The suggestion from the CoC was for families struggling to find affordable housing to apply to Habitat Humanity Van Island North. :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♂️

Housing seems to be a serious issue at 19 Wing, getting people to support SAR won't be easy.

Rumour has it, a base-wide email was sent out to address the current housing crisis in Comox. The suggestion from the CoC was for families struggling to find affordable housing to apply to Habitat Humanity Van Island North. :ROFLMAO: 🤦‍♂️

Housing seems to be a serious issue at 19 Wing, getting people to support SAR won't be easy.

Billie and Nathan's story:

And...well, the other, larger, squadron on base.

Honestly, I don’t know how Jnr ranks make it out there, especially Avr’s and Standard pay group trades. I did BPAAC a few back with an Avr who was posted to 407 and he was very concerned about how he was going to live at first. I can’t imagine now, with the COL and housing being even higher.

Honestly, I don’t know how Jnr ranks make it out there, especially Avr’s and Standard pay group trades. I did BPAAC a few back with an Avr who was posted to 407 and he was very concerned about how he was going to live at first. I can’t imagine now, with the COL and housing being even higher.
I suspect they're rooming with others, like in the NCR (if CAF Reddit is to be believed).

Back