• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

From a soldier‘s perspective

girlfiredup

Inactive
Reaction score
A friend sent me this. His buddy is serving over in Iraq. I thought I‘d share it with you as some of you may find it interesting. I always love reading stuff like this.

Long Days in Iraq

Well my everyday activities change. When I‘m out on the road it can get pretty scarry. We usually leave on convoys in the morning. We roll out with as much ammo as possiable, because you never know whats going to happen. There are no speed limits here so we try to go as fast as the slowest vehicle will allow. You have to watch for IED (Improvised Explosive Devices). They usually use 155MM South African artillery rounds. They acquired them just after the war, we didn‘t do a good job securing Sadams ammo dumps. Anyway they burry them along side the road, put them in trash piles, in dead amimals, or hang them behind guard rails, and they do alot of dammage. They usually use cell phones to detonate them. Then you have to watch for the guys with RPG‘s (Rocket Propeled Gernades), AK47‘s. Then there are the mortars they launch at us. The worst is when someone drives up beside you and starts shooting, The gunner in the back of the truck watches every car that passes, he looks for wea pons, and if he sees one being raised up he has orders to shoot to kill. So thats what we encounter on the road, we usually go uot 2 to 3 times a week. When I‘m not on the road I‘m the Battalion training NCO (Non-Commisioned Officer). I keep track of all the training that is conducted in the battalion. I also teach a IED, UXO (Un Exploded Ordenance) class, and a mine extraction
class. All of that keeps me busy along with tower guard, and night raido watch. My days usually start at 6:00 am in the morning and end at 10:00 pm. I‘m getting tired and home sick lately. I get frustrated very easy, and I lose my temper when things go wrong. What I need is a break. Church helps some but I‘m glad softball is starting. I don‘t know if I told you but I hang out with a 2nd LT that used to pitch for the Texas Long Horns Base Ball team. He brought a catcher mitt and we catch when we have time. Well I have to get going I have stuff to do. You guys take care. Catch a couple of fish for me.

Yea I like being able to read real accounts of people who are there too.

Thanks for the post GFU.

Back