• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Format of Memos

DAA said:
I've seen the GC22 before and in it's original form (ie; paper based) it came with three pre-carbonized pages (White, Pink and Yellow) and was used primarily by OGD's but not the CAF.  It allowed you to hand write an internal memo, tear off the last page (Yellow copy) for your records and send it off to the recipient.  The recipient could respond back by writing on the front page and then tear off the 2nd page (Pink copy) and return the original (White page) back to the originator for action/info.  Pretty much a pre-cursor to email requests but it does still get used by some GoC Departments.

We did once have the "Round Trip Memo" that was like this.  With the advent of desktop computers on everyone's desk, these paper forms went the way of the dodo. 

George Wallace said:
We did once have the "Round Trip Memo" that was like this.  With the advent of desktop computers on everyone's desk, these paper forms went the way of the dodo.

I think I still have some at home. I found some blank ones in a box of old docs in the basement and kept them as a curiosity.. 

George Wallace said:

Early e-mail.......

Anyone know the proper template for a memo thats requesting permission from the RSM?

Viruly said:
Anyone know the proper template for a memo thats requesting permission from the RSM?

But seriously... just use the normal memo format.  Have someone spell and grammar check it for you.  Unlike the old days most of today's RSMs are smart, articulate and well spoken.  A properly formatted, spelled and grammatically correct memo will get more positive attention....

...unless you're asking permission to do something dumb.

Haggis said:
...unless you're asking permission to do something dumb.
Funny, you should say that.

Maybe I should have asked first, before doing, more often.  ;D

The military wants us to do memos for everything, including using our own vacation, but then gives people a hard time for submitting too many memos  ::)

Jarnhamar said:
The military wants us to do memos for everything, including using our own vacation, but then gives people a hard time for submitting too many memos  ::)

The same could be said for meetings.

There were so many places to put this :rofl:

‘Friend of a friend shared it. Simply fantastic. The story is apparently the memo had gone missing more than once...

Attachments

• B73F1D6A-FE2B-4617-8BBE-2E7EEFC071FE.jpeg
    B73F1D6A-FE2B-4617-8BBE-2E7EEFC071FE.jpeg
    314.6 KB · Views: 142
BeyondTheNow said:

‘Friend of a friend shared it. Simply fantastic. The story is apparently the memo had gone missing more than once...

Is this open source? I'm going for Karma on this.

Bzzliteyr said:
Is this open source? I'm going for Karma on this.

:nod: (Shared publicly. I’ve edited for PERSEC here though...just edited a bit more too.)

BeyondTheNow said:

That's pretty hilarious; tops the one we put in on a roll of toilet paper during basic to request paper to submit memos/leave passes.

Do I have this right? Is there a better way to put this to increase the odds of success?
I figured it fit best in this thread.

123 Pte. Bloggins

Memorandum

1000-1

01 Jan 21

CO Maj. Thorn

INCREASING ALLOWANCE OF WOBBLY-POPS

Refs: A. -Nil-

1. I would like to request that the limit of wobbly-pops be raised from two to four per member per day. This is in order to increase group cohesion and morale.

2. There have been no disciplinary or production issues related to wobbly-pops during the past x months.

3. For your consideration, Sir.

A.B. Bloggins

Pte.

PotStirrer

With every new Minister it's likley memo format and fonts will change, if your writing memo's for Cabinet or your Minister/DM, be prepared to change memo formats often. Same with Briefing Notes, I keep drafts of memo's and BN to reuse as situation change or the peons between you and the Minister have lost it or mutated it to the point it is useless, then the idiot chain starts again. Plus if things go south because aforementioned peons sliced out important bits that have left the Minister in a lurch, their attempts to blame you will fail.

With every new Minister it's likley memo format and fonts will change, if your writing memo's for Cabinet or your Minister/DM, be prepared to change memo formats often. Same with Briefing Notes, I keep drafts of memo's and BN to reuse as situation change or the peons between you and the Minister have lost it or mutated it to the point it is useless, then the idiot chain starts again. Plus if things go south because aforementioned peons sliced out important bits that have left the Minister in a lurch, their attempts to blame you will fail.
Hardehardehar...... I jest of course, only because I have seen this unfurl numerous times. The best thing is when you get "thrown under the bus" and then actually show to the "Transit Authority" facts such as: who was driving the bus, the speed they were going, how they were breaking the rules, and how they tried to pass blame when they got caught. Revenge is actually best served "hot" sometimes.

Do I have this right? Is there a better way to put this to increase the odds of success?
I figured it fit best in this thread.

123 Pte. Bloggins

Memorandum

1000-1

01 Jan 21

CO Maj. Thorn

INCREASING ALLOWANCE OF WOBBLY-POPS

Refs: A. -Nil-

1. I would like to request that the limit of wobbly-pops be raised from two to four per member per day. This is in order to increase group cohesion and morale.

2. There have been no disciplinary or production issues related to wobbly-pops during the past x months.

A.B. Bloggins

Pte.

PotStirrer

Format is fine and looks good just drop the 123 Pte at the top & if no refs then don't include it.

In terms of increasing alcohol amount there is not enough to comment on if it will be successful or not. That said if it is two per day that means it is likely a deployment of some sort so the approving authority is much higher than local CoC. Usually CJOC and generally they only do it for special things like Xmas, Canada day etc.

Also there should be 5 blank spaces between your last para (3) and your signature block. Then there are no spaces between name, rank, position

-----

A.B. Bloggins
Pte
PotStirrer

Attachments

• memo.png
    memo.png
    100.7 KB · Views: 24
Back