• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

For all of the forum experts on American Politics...

not trying to insult you. It just appeared as if you overlooked those points...Sir. :salute:
Oh the formality doesn‘t seem to end on the parade square and in the office :rolleyes:

Healthcare - pretty funny. Have you experienced healthcare in the US, or just repeating hearsay? I‘m sure there are horror stories, but here is MY EXPERIENCE - hospitals cannot turn away, by law, injured people. They get treated. As a matter of fact, many hospitals are in danger of closing here in Arizona, because of the influx of illegal immigrants that use our hospitals, but do not pay. Federally, they are mandated to provide service, but federally, they can‘t/won‘t seal the borders.

I have also, in my Canadian circle of friends and family, experienced the finer nuances of socialized healthcare in Canada. Emergency rooms full of people with colds and kids with stuffy noses - too lazy, or too busy to make a Doctor‘s Appointment. Canadian patients being advised to seek treatment for their serious illnesses in the US, because the waiting lists are too long at the regional treatment centres. Ironically, the hospital in my home town in NB is on the chopping block, as we speak, in favour, I believe, of a "regional" one.

I will say this one more time. If you haven‘t lived in the US for any reasonable length of time, your opinion doesn‘t hold water with me. Live here for awhile, think it sucks - great, I‘ll buy it. That goes for any country, not just the US. Opinions are like... well, you know.. everyone has one.

I am not saying Canada‘s system doesn‘t have problems...it‘s blatantly obvious that cuts to social provision in favour of business have done damage to that as well as our military. In fact, I had lived in teh US for 6 months a few years ago and did have the experience of going to a US hospital. I also (like many others) have American relatives. When I was there, it was nice to have insurance, and I was lucky to have been able to afford it. I will admit, when you go to a pay hospital in the US, you get phenomenal service and treatment. It was better than the service that I got at home when I had broken my wrist. My point was that it is affordable to everyone here, and you won‘t go bankrupt because you can‘t get a decent job with benefits or can‘t afford private health insurance. I am not so naive to think Canada is perfect, we have our own problems too. The US has their own problems. I NEVER said we were better. (as much as I may like to gloat like so many others that we are better...but it all really depends on your own personal preferences)

Sooo...what the **** is your point then?

I tried to read through your posts, but it was like some boring lecture in a Political Science class. What are you trying to tell us?

I did manage to read some of what you said, and felt particularly inclined to respond to this

I don‘t buy the complex interedependence thesis and think that free trade was the worst decision Canada ever made, but that‘s the way the world is and it doesn‘t seem like it‘s gonna change anytime soon so I just accept it.
Wow, maybe you better take a look at basic economic theory, going all the way back to Adam Smith. Care to explain why you think the paradigm of the classical liberal economy which has been a foundation of the success of the West is crap, because I am sure your theory is worthy of a Nobel Prize in economics.

International relations is simply a struggle for power, dominance, prosperity that is defined by the large players with ALL players acting in regards to what is best for their own policy objectives and interests. To appear to be serving the greater good, while in reality serving your own interests is the art of skillful diplomacy. I am thankful that we are on the top and not at the bottom like so many others. If it‘s America that keeps us in this position, then I back what is in our nation‘s best interest. As much as I would love to believe that it does, morality doesn‘t figure too much into the international picture - except when it suits us to appear ‘good‘.
And thanks for International Relations Theory 101. I don‘t understand where your trying to go with this statement.

I am not ashamed to admit that I am an unabashed realist, and many of my posts reflect this point of view. However, to say that state actions from top to bottom are devoid of any moral ideals is a tad too cynical and is an indicator of political tunnel vision. Rather than give some drawn-out plea, I‘ll put this bit forward.

----
To the extent that human rights justify the humanitarian use of military force, the new empire can claim that it serves the cause of moral universalism. Yet its service to the cause is equivocal. If America were consistant about defending human rights everywhere, it would have to dispatch Marines to every failed or failing state where populations are threatened with massacre or genocide. Doing so would be both vain and unwise. Empires that are successful learn to ration their services to moral principle to the few strategic zones where the defence of principle is simultaneously the defence of a vital interest, and where the risks do not outweigh the benefits. This is why modern imperial ethics can only be hypocritical....
Yet hypocricy and cynicism are not identical. The fact that empires cannot practise what they preach does not mean that they do not believe what they preach. The problem is not the sincerity or otherwise of their beliefs, but the impossibility of always putting them into practice....
As an empire run by Western liberal democracies, chiefly America, its moral grace notes are all liberal and democratic. Its purpose is to extend free elections, rule of law, democratic self-government to peoples who have only known fratricide.

Michael Ignatieff (a Canadian)
Empire Lite

-----

Even power politics are directed through a moral lens, or why else would Americans trying to establish peace, order, and good government (or is it life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...or both?) in places it sends its military forces to? Although sometimes misguided, there exists within the very foundations of the West a desire to bring the freedoms upon which our strength is founded on to those who were not blessed to be born into them.

If states are only concerned with security, and Western security is grounded within that principle, is there anything wrong with it?

Originally posted by Infanteer
[qb]Even power politics are directed through a moral lens, or why else would Americans trying to establish peace, order, and good government (or is it life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness...or both?) in places it sends its military forces to? Although sometimes misguided, there exists within the very foundations of the West a desire to bring the freedoms upon which our strength is founded on to those who were not blessed to be born into them.

If states are only concerned with security, and Western security is grounded within that principle, is there anything wrong with it?
[/qb]
Not lucky enough to be born into our system? People have been in other parts of the world for thousands of years and have been happy with their systems, at least enough to not revolt over it. You seem to be implying that all things are linear and that all people‘s of the world will embrace our way of thinking and of living because in some way it is superior? What is right for us may not be right for others, and it should NEVER be our job to choose for them.

I find the following which I posted earlier consistent with your quote from Ignatieff and as well as your question of why shouldn‘t they serve their own interests. I am not saying that moral concerns don‘t add support for our actions particularly amongst our own populations, but that they are secondary to our own financial and strategic concerns - as they should be. Believing that the US went after Iraq for freedom is about as ridiculous as believing that they did it ONLY for the oil, or better yet, the magic bullet theory.

Originally posted by kaspacanada:
[QB]

The fight in Iraq wasn‘t just over freedom and Tyranny. They went in to find WMD, and they didn‘t find them. Then they emphasized the "freedom" issue to try to smokescreen the real fact that they broke the standards of international law - and people are falling for it. I am inclined to agree that the people of Iraq will likely be better off without Saddam in power, and that in the long run, they will be able to choose their fate.

On the other hand it makes me angry that America, and many other nations, have supported dictators of all shapes, sizes and intensities for many years as their interests suit them. (and I am not saying that we haven‘t and don‘t do this as well - even at the present time we do what serves our interests) It is completely niave to believe that this was done in Iraq for freedom. It is done because it suits the governments interests at the present time.
The government wanted to ensure that they didn‘t have WMD, they felt Saddam a threat to their interests be it oil or otherwise. They may have looked at the benefit of a boost for the economy through arms manufacturing, reconstruction contracts, to bring the Iraqi people back into the world market so they can buy stuff from us, or whatever interests may be there that we are not aware of at the present time.

It was a choice that Bush made on the information he was privy to, and for what he felt was in America‘s best interest. I can respect that decision and give him credit for sticking through it despite the constant uphill struggle he is facing at home, in Iraq, and around the world now. Tough decisions are never easy to make. America has a very unenviable position as the worlds sole superpower (albeit for the moment) and they are often d*mned if they do, and d*mned if they don‘t. So why shouldn‘t they look after their own interests first? They saw risk and opportunity and have the ability to follow through to exploit it. They are the ‘big guy‘ on the block, and there is very little anyone can do about it at least in conventional terms.
For lack of a better alternative, the economic theories of scholars such as Adam Smith will have to suffice until someone more brilliant and convincing comes up with an acceptable solution to the problems that liberal-economic theory does have. Nothing is perfect. But why don‘t you try it then? Or do you think, as does Francis Fukuyama, that we have reached the ‘end of history‘?

Even your prized Adam Smith warns about the dangers of unregulated capitalism particularly at the international level. So did Marx, and so do many others. But when did I say that the theory was crap? Just because I don‘t like what free trade and trends of globalization are doing at the moment, doesn‘t mean that trends can‘t change as and if political will changes or that I don‘t see potential in it. It certainly doesn‘t mean that I think the theories are crap.

I do not profess to have the answers to the problems that it does have, though as you might have more faith in me than I do. :D Comon infanteer, in your infinite wisdom please tell us all where the ‘invisible hand‘ for the people of Africa is right now? Would it be fair to imply that it is someplace doing something that it probably shouldn‘t be doing.

You have well illustrated my point that realistic strategic imperatives will supress or moderate genuine concerns for ‘humanity‘. Our own ‘moral‘ boastings serve only to reinforce our own notions of the universality of our own system and do little to help the rest of the world unless it suits us. Thanks for the quote from Ignatieff, as he wrote it so eloquently, and in a truly diplomatic style that is much more appealing than my own blunt statements about the world. As he put it, it is not that we don‘t want to help and that we don‘t want to try to better their lives, just that we simply can‘t or that it is not prudent to do so.

So why do we do it? Why does the US do it? Because there is something in it for those involved in both the conflict, and in the reconstruction. (and can make us feel better about ourselves and helps us ignore where and under what conditions most of our own stuff is made under, and makes us ‘look‘ good to our allies and other nations) Conflict either in civil war or interstate war, can be seen as the redistribution of either/both political and economic power in their respective jurisdictions. Peace is imposed by those content with the status quo when it suits them just as war is one of the tools that can help maintain the status quo. Convince first your own people, and then the world, of its legitimacy and it will be maintained. You are correct that there is a desire to help, but I would argue that they are secondary considerations, and serve primarily as a ‘legitimacy‘ function at both the international and national levels.

Not lucky enough to be born into our system? People have been in other parts of the world for thousands of years and have been happy with their systems, at least enough to not revolt over it. You seem to be implying that all things are linear and that all people‘s of the world will embrace our way of thinking and of living because in some way it is superior? What is right for us may not be right for others, and it should NEVER be our job to choose for them.
Like I said before, open the world‘s borders up and watch what happens. There is a reason people flock TO the West.

I am not saying that moral concerns don‘t add support for our actions particularly amongst our own populations, but that they are secondary to our own financial and strategic concerns - as they should be. Believing that the US went after Iraq for freedom is about as ridiculous as believing that they did it ONLY for the oil, or better yet, the magic bullet theory.
I think that we are in argreement here. Howerver, I will add that humanitarian and environmental issues are becoming issues of national security, so interventionism by the West can be seen as both morally and geopolitically right.

Even your prized Adam Smith warns about the dangers of unregulated capitalism particularly at the international level. So did Marx, and so do many others. But when did I say that the theory was crap? Just because I don‘t like what free trade and trends of globalization are doing at the moment, doesn‘t mean that trends can‘t change as and if political will changes or that I don‘t see potential in it. It certainly doesn‘t mean that I think the theories are crap.
When you see it is the worst decision Canada ever made, it is pretty close to labelling Classical economics as crap. What do you propose, Economic independence through a series of 5-year plans? Been tried before.

Comon infanteer, in your infinite wisdom please tell us all where the ‘invisible hand‘ for the people of Africa is right now? Would it be fair to imply that it is someplace doing something that it probably shouldn‘t be doing.
The answer is that the invisible hand cannot affect societies where social systems do not allow civil society to take root. Macroeconomic effects are so thrown out of whack by exogenous factors in places where rule of law, property rights, and open economies are replaced with despotism, political/tribal factionalism, and general lawlessness.

So why do we do it? Why does the US do it? Because there is something in it for those involved in both the conflict, and in the reconstruction.
Is there any oil in Kosovo? How about Haiti, Somalia, the Phillipines, or Cuba? Your so adamant in trying to prove your point in big fancy sentences that you see the world from a realist persepective that your painting politics in black and white, which can put you into a corner.

OK, I‘m not an economist, much above guns&butter. Some of you conspiracy guys explain why the "war for oil" crowd in the US just appropriated over a billion dollars to help combat AIDS in Africa. What is their REAL motive here??

By the way - I‘m not being sarcastic or facetious. I am truly curious as to your theories.

By the way, this was touted by GW, but not very popular with most US Conservatives

Actually, there is a good editorial in the latest issue of Foreign Affairs dealing with the issue.

The conservative and religious end of the US political spectrum has gotten involved with the AIDS/HIV dilemma due to prodding by popular figures on the immorality of ignoring the pandemic, which has encouraged the current administration to commit to the program designated in the State of the Union Address (there is that **** morality thing again, eh?).

The only concern is that a conservative approach to AIDS/HIV prevention can lean heavily on an abstinence approach, while ignoring protection. Some activists fear it could result in the three biggest risk groups in the developing world, sex-trade workers, homosexuals, and IV drug-users, being ignored.

Good issue to bring up, Muskrat. Here is a clear example of morality leading the way in foreign policy decision making. It is akin to US intervention in Columbia, where the prime issue is cocaine production; both these have morality and national security so tightly wound togeather that it is hard to sort out where one begins and the other one ends.

Callsign Golf, you are on, fire for effect, over.

I can live with your arguments. lol...5 year plans...lets try and try again like they do with the army...NOT. Kosovo etc... I would suggest are a mix between wanting a good image, and ALSO our concerns for humanity (or wanting that ‘good state‘ image depending on your view. The only example I can think of right now that still confuses me is that when Vietnam was going down, there was very little coming out about what Pol Pot was doing at the same time in Cambodia. I remember watching a video on media relations where Vietnam got so much more coverage in newspapers than Cambodia, and some concerned journalists had to work really really hard to break the stories they knew about. Why the differences in reporting some conflicts for intervention and not others? Now it is unfair to say that the government conspired with the media, but the government did know about what was going on. Any thoughts on that?

I guess it takes a coward to vote for a coward, eh.

----

ELECTION 2004
Gen. Shelton: Clark ‘won‘t get my vote‘
Former chair of Joint Chiefs says Wes has ‘integrity and character‘ issues

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Posted: September 24, 2003
2:28 p.m. Eastern

© 2003 WorldNetDaily.com

Retired Gen. H. Hugh Shelton, former chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, says Democratic presidential candidate Wesley Clark has some "integrity and character issues" and won‘t be getting his vote.

Shelton, who was Joint Chiefs chairman on 9-11, made the comments at a celebrity forum at Foothill College in Los Altos Hills, Calif., earlier this month, the Los Altos Town Crier reported.

After a presentation reviewing the historic events of his 38-year military career, Shelton took questions from the audience.

One question came from **** Henning, moderator of the event: "What do you think of Gen. Wesley Clark and would you support him as a presidential candidate?"

According to the report, Shelton took a drink of water before answering.

Said Henning, "I noticed you took a drink on that one!"

"That question makes me wish it were vodka," said Shelton, according to the Los Altos paper. "I‘ve known Wes for a long time. I will tell you the reason he came out of Europe early had to do with integrity and character issues, things that are very near and dear to my heart. I‘m not going to say whether I‘m a Republican or a Democrat. I‘ll just say Wes won‘t get my vote."

Gen. Wesley Clark

Clark was supreme allied commander of NATO forces during the Clinton-era bombing campaign against Serbia. Shelton relieved him of duty in 2000, several months earlier than Clark expected.

Another retired four-star general told the Washington Post recently: "There are an awful lot of people who believe Wes will tell anybody what they want to hear and tell somebody the exact opposite five minutes later. The people who have worked closely with him are the least complimentary, because he can be very abrasive, very domineering. And part of what you saw when he was relieved of command was all of the broken glass and broken china within the European alliance and the [U.S.] European Command."

Shelton recently battled a severe injury after falling off a ladder outside his home just months after his retirement. According to the paper, Shelton landed with his head caught in a chain-link fence and was partially paralyzed from the neck down.

The general told the crowd his doctor told him he would never walk or use his hands again. He said he checked the doctor‘s name tag for "God," but didn‘t see it.

After three months of recovery, the general was able to walk out of the hospital on his own and now, said the report, is nearly 100 percent recovered.

Shelton says the injury taught him "the importance of faith, family and friends when the chips are down."
-------

Yeah so what?
General Shelton himself has issues. Most notably, he suffers from the infamous "dumba@@ syndrome".

Well, I‘ve proved Clark‘s less then stellar command ability a couple times on this board. You‘ve just managed to spew off about Shelton.

Maybe you suffer from the same syndrome, Fubar.

You didn‘t say why Clark was relieved of Command early. You can‘t take the opinion of just a single high ranking military official and base you‘r entire argument on it, Shelton might have had personal issues with Clark.

I support Wes Clark because I believe he is the only democratic candidate with the potential to defeat Bush in the primaries. Kerry is simply too weak, he is just a figure molded by his campaign staff, Dean is nuts and Edwards is a pu@@y.

Yeah, FUBAR - your opinion is much more respected... :D

http://army.ca/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi/topic/10/263/2?

Maybe read this thread again...care to offer a better arguement as to how Clark would be a great leader?

Back