• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Nations - CF help, protests, solutions, residential schools, etc. (merged)

Sorry, for the federal realm you’re right, my bad. I let myself get confused by several of the provinces not observing it as one.
As a Public servant I have it off every year. As a reservist I am working it every year…it’s easy to confuse it for a stat holiday vs normal day when one works it most of the time.

As a Public servant I have it off every year. As a reservist I am working it every year…it’s easy to confuse it for a stat holiday vs normal day when one works it most of the time.

Alot of people will be working during this new stat holiday too. And not out of disrespect, I might add!

The confusion over Remembrance Day may be that it is federally (as in, federal employees) observed, but not required for federally-regulated companies. Some provinces choose to apply it, and some do not.

To bad this story didn't break before the election or during it

While Jean Chrétien was minister of Indian affairs, his federal department received several reports — including one addressed directly to him — of mistreatment and physical abuse of children at residential schools, government records show.

Chrétien, Canada's prime minister from 1993 to 2003, told a popular Radio-Canada talk show on Sunday that he never heard about abuse at residential schools while he was minister of what was then called the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development from 1968 to 1974.

Jean Chrétien says he never heard about abuse in residential schools while he was minister
A cursory look at the historical record reveals that while Chrétien was minister, his department received at least four reports outlining allegations of abuse and mistreatment of children at St. Anne's Indian Residential School, which operated in the Fort Albany First Nation, along Ontario's James Bay coast.

The department also received reports of abuse from other residential schools during his tenure, including two from one that sat about 130 kilometres north of his hometown of Shawinigan, Que., records show.

To bad this story didn't break before the election or during it

While Jean Chrétien was minister of Indian affairs, his federal department received several reports — including one addressed directly to him — of mistreatment and physical abuse of children at residential schools, government records show.

Chrétien, Canada's prime minister from 1993 to 2003, told a popular Radio-Canada talk show on Sunday that he never heard about abuse at residential schools while he was minister of what was then called the Department of Indian Affairs and Northern Development from 1968 to 1974.

Jean Chrétien says he never heard about abuse in residential schools while he was minister
A cursory look at the historical record reveals that while Chrétien was minister, his department received at least four reports outlining allegations of abuse and mistreatment of children at St. Anne's Indian Residential School, which operated in the Fort Albany First Nation, along Ontario's James Bay coast.

The department also received reports of abuse from other residential schools during his tenure, including two from one that sat about 130 kilometres north of his hometown of Shawinigan, Que., records show.

witch hunt halloween GIF by W Network

The confusion over Remembrance Day may be that it is federally (as in, federal employees) observed, but not required for federally-regulated companies. Some provinces choose to apply it, and some do not.
I'm actually a fan of this model, means the kids are in school and can do the observations there and actually learn something, so probably a good model for the TRC day. Not sure what schools are teaching now, but when I was a kid there was this weird empty potemkin village with a long house and whatnot where we learned about the First Nations like it was a historical thing, as opposed to there being a lot of reservations in the area and active residential schools.

Still blown away the last one close in 1996; the whole system caused generations of trauma.

the last one close in 1996

Well, sort of. The last one to be operated, in any capacity, as a school, Marivelle, stopped operating as a residential school in the 70s and became a day school, and was turned over to the band in 1987, who continued using it as a day school until 1996.

In similar news:
"Where did they go?" No human remains found on Charles Camsell hospital grounds

Nothing has been found after two more days of searching for unmarked graves at the site of a former “Indian hospital” in central Edmonton.

Crews completed the last of 34 excavations on the Charles Camsell Hospital grounds Friday - after ground-penetrating radar pointed to “anomalies” under the soil.

“We’re happy that nothing has been found here to date,” Papaschase Elder Fernie Marty said.

“No bodies, no bones of any kind, no human remains, so that’s a good thing. Now to find where the bodies did go to. Where did they go?”

Marty said he still believes there are unmarked graves somewhere in or around Edmonton.

He bases that off of stories he’s heard about people disappearing and accounts from former staff members he’s spoken to directly about things that happened in the hospital.

“A lot of evil stuff went on here. This place, in my opinion, should have been burned to the ground or blown up,” he said.

“You couldn’t give me a place to live here. I wouldn’t live here. Too much horror went on.”

The hospital building is now being converted to condos, owned by local architect Gene Dub.

Dub paid more than $200,000 for the search.

“I think we owe it to those families to search these grounds,” Dub said. “To find, truthfully whether they’re here.”

“His heart is in a good place,” Marty said of Dub, adding plans to add a commemorative stone to the property were appreciated by him and other Elders.

Starting in the 1930s, 31 hospitals were built in Canada with the goal of treating tuberculosis in Indigenous people - but according to the Indian Residential School History and Dialogue Centre at the University of British Columbia, the hospitals were understaffed and used “experimental treatment” on their patients.

A class-action lawsuit brought forth in 2018 alleges patients suffered sexual and physical abuse, including forced sterilization, at these hospitals.

The Indigenous groups involved in the Camsell search said they will continue to seek answers - and possibly search other sites in the Edmonton area.

Interesting story about someone claiming to be First Nations.

Indigenous or pretender?

Carrie Bourassa, one of the country’s most-esteemed Indigenous health experts, claims to be Métis, Anishinaabe and Tlinglit. Some of her colleagues say there’s no evidence of that.

Generally when these stories pop up it seems muddled when trying to decypher if someone is what they claim to be. Less so much with this one.

Bourassa didn’t offer any genealogical evidence that she is Métis, Anishnaabe or Tlingit. Instead, she said she became Métis in her 20s, when she was adopted into the community by a Métis friend of her grandfather, Clifford Laroque, who has since died.

Naive, but sincere question. Can't they do a DNA test?

The various bands are against DNA testing. Quite strongly. Googling it- there’s scores of articles on it. They won’t let it be used for membership or determining status. There’s lots of theories on why- but since it’s made to be this very loose thing of adoptions and being in the culture they have thousands of stories like this one.

The various bands are against DNA testing. Quite strongly. Googling it- there’s scores of articles on it. They won’t let it be used for membership or determining status. There’s lots of theories on why- but since it’s made to be this very loose thing of adoptions and being in the culture they have thousands of stories like this one.

So what you're saying is 'Indian Status' (and all the free stuff that designation entails) is a 'fluid' thing?

Wow, I had no idea :)

So what you're saying is 'Indian Status' (and all the free stuff that designation entails) is a 'fluid' thing?

Wow, I had no idea :)
I think the way it’s phrased is it’s up to the “Nation”. And it can be quite…fluid

I know a person who is Status Indian without being even 1% native. Their Grandmother married a Native man and she already had kids before the marriage. He adopted the kids and they then gained Native status, which in turn was passed on to their kids. If they don't make a kid with someone who is Status Indian though their kids won't have status.

Back