• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

First Canadian killed in gun battle since Korea????

Scipio said:
You mentioned NAM (addressed to topic starter).  I didn't know Canada fought in NAM.  I know Canadians did, but they fought for the US which probably doesn't count as a Canadian soldier.  Did Canada send over a Canadian unit, maple leaf et al?

We served on the ICCS - one of those "peace" missions that people here would like to pretend never happened.

Well...I'm glad you remembered it Micheal, because I was looking through book after book of it.

There was a medal issued for it as well by the Canadian Gov't of the day as well.

ICCS:
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group06/icmvn

The ICCS medal was awarded for 90 days service with the Commission between 28 January 1973 and 31 July 1973. The 1,160 personnel of the commission were from Canada, Hungary, Indonesia and Poland and their role was to monitor the cease-fire in South Vietnam as per the Paris Peace Conference. The Commission arranged the release and exchange of more than 32,000 prisoners of war.

Canada contributed 240 Canadian Forces personnel and 50 officials from the Department of External Affairs. The ICCS operated until 30 April 1975, two years after the Canadians withdrew.

ICSC:
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group06/icmic

Regards

Canada sent troops to the US as part of an exchange program. Those same troops were rotated to Vietnam (Canada cut their checks the US provided Uniforms).

Those who came back have huge JTF2 style holes in their record of service. Chances are some didn't make it back and we will never know.

Gunnerlove said:
Canada sent troops to the US as part of an exchange program. Those same troops were rotated to Vietnam (Canada cut their checks the US provided Uniforms).

Those who came back have huge JTF2 style holes in their record of service. Chances are some didn't make it back and we will never know.

Meet one of these guys in the bar, did you?

"What colour is the boathouse in Hereford?"

Seriously, you're kidding, right?

Dear GO!!!

The Liberal government did the damage for 3 decades prior.  Mulroneys Government wrote cheques the economy could not cash. 

The Conservative Govenment that wrote the white papers were seen as the first sign of hope for the CF. Of course they did not meet one of their objectives and afterwards when the Liberals came back in power the CF hit an all time low.

Liberals stuffed what was left of the CF into a coaltion of UN PeaceKeepers and shipped them off all over the place during the 90's.  It was not until Harper's government that Canadian Troops went into combat in sizable numbers under Canadian Managment, not UN Peacekeepers.

So when you look back at it, the Liberals did the destruction, the Conservatives let down and merely added to it. Harper is the first person to use Canadian soldiers as such and not Peace Keepers.

So when you look back at it, the Liberals did the destruction, the Conservatives let down and merely added to it. Harper is the first person to use Canadian soldiers as such and not Peace Keepers.

Rhetorical question, Scipio...  Who deployed the 3 PPCLI Battle Group to Afghanistan in 2002?  Who authorized Canadian airstrikes in Kosovo?

::)

C&P Crusader said:
Well...I'm glad you remembered it Micheal, because I was looking through book after book of it.

There was a medal issued for it as well by the Canadian Gov't of the day as well.

ICCS:
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group06/icmvn

ICSC:
http://www.vac-acc.gc.ca/remembers/sub.cfm?source=collections/cmdp/mainmenu/group06/icmic

Regards

Kind of funny - and not the first time it happened - that NATO and Warsaw Pact soldiers would be serving side by side on the same mission.

Scipio said:

Are you suffering from acute aluminium poisoning?  These Troops were deployed way before Harper came to power.

George Wallace said:
Are you suffering from acute aluminium poisoning?  These Troops were deployed way before Harper came to power.

Somalia wasn't a "peace" mission either, and as I recall, the Canadian Airborne flexed some muscle in 1974 in Cyprus as well, in case those haven't been mentioned yet.

I don't think Kosovo qualifies as a group hug exercise, either.

Reply #22 on: Yesterday at 00:00:45 » Quote 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Canada sent troops to the US as part of an exchange program. Those same troops were rotated to Vietnam (Canada cut their checks the US

Any more information on this...I never heard of it before, after joining USMC, while in Nam for 26 months, after....nada

Gunnerlove said:

I call bullshit on this one.

Scipio said:
The Liberal government did the damage for 3 decades prior.  Mulroneys Government wrote cheques the economy could not cash. 
If we want to go back to the time of the dinosaurs, the tories cancelled the Arrow...

The economy (as I'm sure you know) does not cash cheques. They come from general revenues, and as the last few federal surpluses have indicated, there is often a significant deviation in the balance sheet.

The Conservative Govenment that wrote the white papers were seen as the first sign of hope for the CF. Of course they did not meet one of their objectives and afterwards when the Liberals came back in power the CF hit an all time low.
....and I wrote a paper on why Quebecois separtists should be tried as traitors. Both papers are irrelevant if not acted upon. "Defence time" in terms of procurement and funding is often not indicative of the present government but of the governments in power a decade or more previous due to the long timelines, so the intentions of one government are hardly indicative of a general trend in this respect.

If one were really to argue, they could point out that the Liberals presided over the purchase of new helicopters, submarines, LAVs, LUVWs, MGS and the CTS project, whereas the tories have produced nothing better than hot air.

Liberals stuffed what was left of the CF into a coaltion of UN PeaceKeepers and shipped them off all over the place during the 90's.  It was not until Harper's government that Canadian Troops went into combat in sizable numbers under Canadian Managment, not UN Peacekeepers.
Not really.

Don't forget that Peacekeeping missions were initiated on the tory watch too, and that the troops we sent to Afghanistan in 2002 were under liberal control, as is the current mission. The fact that the conservatives inherited a popular mission is hardly indicative of a "pro military" set of defence, procurement and foreign policy objectives, but rather to the foresight of the libs as to what would be a good choice.

Also, unless I am mistaken, all of the troops in theatre with the exception of the PRT and some "other" assets were and continue to be part of US led task forces. There is Canadians in the command structure, but we are not capable of mounting missions under "candian management"

I would say that both "did" the destruction, and that the conservatives are now benefitting from choices made long before they came to office.

Also, unless I am mistaken, all of the troops in theatre with the exception of the PRT and some "other" assets were and continue to be part of US led task forces. There is Canadians in the command structure, but we are not capable of mounting missions under "candian management"

Ummm, a small caveat.  Canada led two rotations of ISAF, including the brigade HQ - something no other nation has done.  This was "Canadian management" - even if it took deploying the Commander of the Army to pull it off!

Back