• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Films with Military Life

paxis

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm looking for films that give an idea of routines in the military, in particular those of the Canadian Forces. Peacekeeping topics also preferred. Can be a documentary or dramatized, though the latter is less preferred.

I have only watched Blackhawk Down, Shake Hand with the Devil (dramas) and plan to watch Saving Private Ryan (probably is irrelevant to the topic at hand but it was recommended to me), Caught in the Crossfire and Price of Duty (both are NFB documentaries about peacekeeping).

Thanks in advance.

The TV show Combat Hospital, set in KAF when Canada still commanded the Role 3 hospital.

Jarhead actually captures some of the absurdity, boredom, and frustration of the combat arms.

Brihard said:
Jarhead actually captures some of the absurdity, boredom, and frustration of the combat arms.

Generation Kill is an HBO series that also does this quite well IMO.

If I'm on a bus and someone puts full metal jacket on one more time I'm going to jump out the window.

Brihard said:

Sgt Bilko captures some of the creativity of garrison life...

jeffb said:
Generation Kill is an HBO series that also does this quite well IMO.

I agree. Restapo although an American documentary; it about as real as it gets showing life in COP's.

Buffalo Soldiers is probably one of the best depictions of the sheer boredom of being PCS'ed to West Germany during the 80's.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OgLDMyyMZIg

Hell and Back Again

From his embed with US Marines Echo Company in Afghanistan, photojournalist and filmmaker Danfung Dennis reveals the devastating impact a Taliban machine-gun bullet has on the life of 25-year-old Sergeant Nathan Harris. The film seamlessly transitions from stunning war reportage to an intimate, visceral portrait of one man’s personal struggle at home in North Carolina, where Harris confronts the physical and emotional difficulties of re-adjusting to civilian life with the love and support of his wife, Ashley. Masterfully contrasting the intensity of the frontline with the unsettling normalcy of home, HELL AND BACK AGAIN lays bare the true cost of war.

Desert Lions - can find it on the Canadian Army website
The film delivers a gritty, candid view of the challenges and opportunities faced by Canadian soldiers now participating in the NATO training mission, Operation ATTENTION, said LCol Vernon, who recently returned from a four-city screening tour across Canada earlier this month.

The documentary follows nine members of an Operational Mentor Liaison Team (OMLT) tasked with holding the village of Nakhonay while
mentoring a company of Afghan soldiers.

Back