• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

•the phantom
•we were soldiers
•tears of the sun
•band of brothers
•platoon
•pearl harbor
•black hawk down

In no particular order, and with many deserving titles omitted due to laziness and oversight :

-generation kill (full of hilarious one dialogue & vivid camera work)
-the great escape (enjoyed watching it with my dad)
-guns of navarone
-band of brothers
-saving private ryan
-bridge over the river Kwai
-platoon
-into the white
-das boot
-Patton
-Top gun (lol sorry I loved the combination of fast air & Kenny Loggins)
-Zero Dark Thirty (very accurate depiction of modern history)
-Hurt Locker
-Black Hawk Down
-We were Soldiers
-The Unit (Tv series - went to high school with a guy on it so had to watch it)
-9th company (russia/afghan war)
-lone survivor (Mark really took that role seriously)

& any real documentary on TV or YouTube.  I love hearing about the behind the scenes situations that shaped our world today... Example : the race to develop and counter radar during the Second World War.... Crazy how many lives were saved by early detection of bombing raids. 

Favourite is probably still generation kill though - so many funny parts despite the fact it's a messy situation.

(Edited to include : Lone Survivor)

The Hurt Locker was one of the best war comedies ever made, I was in stitches the whole time.

ObedientiaZelum said:
I found Hurt Locker to be pretty informative and accurate.

Terminal Lance thinks differently: http://terminallance.com/2010/01/18/the-hurt-locker/

As do I...

daftandbarmy said:
Terminal Lance thinks differently: http://terminallance.com/2010/01/18/the-hurt-locker/
Terminal Lance rules in general!

milnews.ca said:
Terminal Lance rules in general!

Let's remember war movies aren't made for us. They are made so the movie makers can make money.

The actual story and the truth is a secondary consideration. The final few scenes in Argo are proof of that.

All that said, I always believe that even a badly made historic movie in this day and age of social media, serves a purpose. Many go home at some point following a movie to get the 'real' story. Two good examples are indeed Argo but also Pearl Harbor. Both movies triggered countless discussions in on line media followed by several documentaries to 'tell the truth'. Yes, Hollywood makes the movie for money but people using their own ingenuity use it as a kick off for a history lesson.
Alas, I will be the first to admit, there are still many who cannot decipher the line between the screen and reality.

Just finished watching "Operation Thunderbolt" on the IDF raid on Entebbe.  A bit expensive, but the second disk is a documentary done (what looks like) shortly after the raid, with interviews from both hostages and raid participants.  It has the feel of a '70's production (with music sounding like "Mod Squad" at some points), but a good movie showing the military elements with a less flashy approach than some flicks.

milnews.ca said:
Notwithstanding the.....downside.....it's always good to see competent leaders at the pointy end leading.      :salute:

NO, not you staff annoyance visits people, who wear leadership rank, showing up at the "front."

Journeyman said:
Notwithstanding the.....downside.....it's always good to see competent leaders at the pointy end leading.      :salute:
Good point.

At the other end of the Entebbe portrayal scale, just finishing watching "Victory at Entebbe" - lotsa famous actors (including a youngish Richard Dreyfuss playing Yoni Nethanayu), but feeling like a sometimes over-acted theatre play. 

Image of the night in this one:  blaxploitation star Julius Harris as Idi Amin, in one scene wearing a pink jacket, ascot and Huggy Bear hat with a feather in it.  We need an eyebleach smiley.

Just finished watching "Starship Troopers:  Invasion" ....
starship_troopers_invasion1.jpg

Done completely in CGI (including shower scenes).

Good movie as is, but don't compare it to 1 & 3 - it's generally the ST story with the same main characters, but on a very different canvas (Asian anime).

milnews.ca said:
Just finished watching "Starship Troopers:  Invasion" ....
starship_troopers_invasion1.jpg

Done completely in CGI (including shower scenes).

Good movie as is, but don't compare it to 1 & 3 - it's generally the ST story with the same main characters, but on a very different canvas (Asian anime).

The group that worked on ST:invasion likes doing military/police CGI sci-fi movies... Appleseed1 & 2, as well as Vexille... besides the point though... only for those who can put up with anime and mediocre dialogue.

Winter727 said:
The group that worked on ST:invasion likes doing military/police CGI sci-fi movies... Appleseed1 & 2, as well as Vexille... besides the point though... only for those who can put up with anime and mediocre dialogue.
Good background.

I didn't think the dialogue was necessarily better or worse than the others - more of a straight story than a satire like 1 & 3.

Just watched Roughriders again the other night

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0118453/

MV5BMjEyMjE1MjIxMF5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODM1NzIzMQ@@._V1_SY317_CR22,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

Good cast and overall well done , okay some minor historical inaccuracies and a bit of overacting fromh George Hamilton and Gary Bussey but still worth the watch.

If you're in the mood for an anniversary viewing, this weekend is a good one:
You may have heard of the Great Escape. You may have seen the 1963 Hollywood movie starring Steve McQueen as a United States Air Force officer named Virgil Hilts – the “Cooler King”. And if you’ve seen the movie, you may think that the story is a British and American story.

But it’s not. It’s a British and Canadian story. There were no Americans in the North Compound at Stalag Luft III near Sagan (now Zagan), Poland, when the mass breakout occurred. Rather, most of the officers in the compound were members of the Royal Air Force (RAF), Royal Canadian Air Force (RCAF), Royal Australian Air Force (RAAF), Royal New Zealand Air Force (RNZAF) and the South African Air Force (SAAF). Others hailed from nations such as Greece, Norway, the Netherlands, Czechoslovakia, Greece, Lithuania, Poland, Belgium and France.

On the night of March 24-25, 1944, 76 men managed to get outside the wire through a tunnel code-named “Harry”. In the aftermath of the Great Escape, 50 of the escapers were covertly and illegally murdered by the Gestapo acting on a direct order from Hitler. Six of the dead were Canadians. Only three escapers made a “home run” – getting away and returning to their home countries; the remainder were returned to the prison camp.

And that’s why the commander of the RCAF, Lieutenant-General Yvan Blondin, and other Canadians were at the site of Stalag Luft III on March 24, along with representatives of other allied nations, to mark the 70th anniversary of The Great Escape ....
Here's the movie's IMDB listing, and here's a bit on YouTube.

Couple playing tomorrow morning on AMC
Von Ryan's Express 0600-0845
Sands of Iwo Jima 0845-1100
Hell is for Heroes 1100-1300
Now All Time Classic  The Longest Day 1300-1700

But some interruption
At 1300-1630  The Guns Of Navarone on Silvr

Glad I got a PVR

Tom

Black Hawk Down is #1 for movie..

Pretty much any documentary will do, but Restrepo is by far my 1st pick. (Can't wait for the second)

Also I'm watching Battle For Haditha and it's looking good so far!

Back