• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

I watched "Waterloo" last night on an aging VHS player. Some of the battle scenes are amazing, with thousands of extras and wide panoramic  camera shots. Think I'll be buying it on DVD soon.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0066549/

I probably should have checked the DVD options to see if I could have watched it in Russian with subtitles.

The DVD I have rented yesterday had English subtitles. Indeed the dubbing wasn't good.

The movie was a good recall for civilian like me how combat is a serious and painful matter. It always amazed me how courageous are our soldier.

To all  :salute:

Spent part of this week watching the Soviet production of War & Peace (1967) - pretty extravagantly staffed and shot battle scenes there - no CGI to multiply the number of people there, just LOADS o' people and horses.

I saw an interesting movie this week called Max Manus; a true story about a Norwegian resistance fighter at the centre of the Oslo Group in WW2.

While it's not likely to win any Oscars, and it is in Norwegian with English sub-titles, it's well done and shows a part of the war we don't often see/think about.

JM  I saw Max Manus a couple of months ago and agree very well done. I'd be interested in picking up his bio, 
as his pre WW2 career seemed just as interesting.

Danjanou said:
...his pre WW2 career seemed just as interesting.
Absolutely. The Russo-Finnish War should provide for some interesting discussion amongst CF pers (ie - small army in cold terrain).

I was thinking more of his brothel hopping exploits in Habana, but hey to each his own.  8)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Max_Manus

I also saw Max Manus this week, and thought that it was very well done.  The story of the German occupation of Norway is one that has not received a lot of attention in the English language cinema.

Another excellent movie is called North Face (Nordwand), set in the pre-war period of 1936 and based on a true story.  It concerns a Nazi party desire to climb the north face of the Eiger in order to boost national pride by being the first country to climb it.  The story follows two German friends who quit the Mountain Brigade in order to go climbing, and their rivalry with a pair of Austrian climbers also vying to be the first to summit.  Phenomenal camerawork,  very suspenseful story.

http://www.monstersandcritics.com/movies/reviews/article_1529654.php/North-Face-Nordwand-Movie-Review

Journeyman said:
I saw an interesting movie this week called Max Manus; a true story about a Norwegian resistance fighter at the centre of the Oslo Group in WW2.

While it's not likely to win any Oscars, and it is in Norwegian with English sub-titles, it's well done and shows a part of the war we don't often see/think about.

I haven't seen the movie, but it seems to be part of a trend to show various resistance groups that fought against the Nazi's. So far, I've seen one about the Danish resistance ( Flame and Citron) and another about a French resistance group that was made up mostly of foreigners (The Army of Crime ). Interesting, in the Army of Crime the guys who track them down are French police and not the Gestapo.

There's been a couple of other films, but I'm unsure of their historical accuracy or fact they may be entirely fiction.

Retired AF Guy said:
I haven't seen the movie, but it seems to be part of a trend to show various resistance groups that fought against the Nazi's.
Another good one along these lines (although not recent - but more recent than Casablanca) is Soldier of Orange, a Paul Verhoeven (of Starship Troopers, RoboCop and Basic Instinct fame) flick showing the Dutch resistance in a wide range of greys - generally, but not all good guys.  VERY good flick, but not for the weak of stomach in some scenes.

Journeyman said:

Thanks for the tip. I bought it as a Christmas gift for my father, who spent 6 years in Norway at Kolsas in the late 70s. He's afflicted with a passion for all things Norwegian, and after watching the King's Guard perform at a Tattoo in Gibraltar, I can't say I blame him.

Another film from New Zealand that has not been mentioned is utu, http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0086497/.  It can be hard to find, in DVD it's Region 4 as a rule.  But it can be found as a torrent download for those who do these.  Worth the watch.

Life is beautiful is a good war movie, a must watch for movie and specially war movie lovers. The struggle of a father to protect his child is really touching.

I'm surprised HBO's Taking Chance hasn't been mentioned.  One of the best "war movies" I've seen, even though it has almost no action in it.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1019454/

The journal entry that was the basis of the movie is here: 

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/04/12/sunday/main2677251.shtml

Ritchie55clayton

We do not appreciate SPAMMERS on this site.  If you want to advertise, please contact the site owner.

George
army.ca Staff

I agree about Passchendaele..what a disappointment. I might be a woman but the whole love story thing was just lame. There are times when the connection to home and loved ones are important like in We Were Soldiers, but sometimes they just blatantly stick it in there to attract a wider audience and it can take away from what the movie is supposed to be about.

I haven't seen Generation Kill on here, not that that means it's not here, just haven't seen it. Band of Brothers is by far my favorite though.

FMJ(the first half), Platoon, Tigerland, Flags of our Fathers, SPR - all from my War Through Film class, it was awesome.

Rambo? Ha, I actually hate these movies but my husband mentioned it. Hunt for Red October, U-571.

There are some great ones on here I haven't seen, thanks for the suggestions!

I enjoyed "From Here to Eternity" the other night. Won many awards. Lots of fine actors were in it.

Sergeant: "Maybe back in the days of the pioneers a man could go his own way, but today you got to play ball."

Woman: "Sit down and - and get comfortable. I'll make you a martini and see what's to cook for dinner."
Soldier: "Hey, this is like being married, ain't it?"
Woman: "It's better."

Sergeant jailer: "Tough monkey. Guys like you end up in the stockade sooner or later. Some day you'll walk in; I'll be waiting. I'll show you a couple of things."

Back