• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Favourite War Movies

Oh my god where do i start. I tried to get them in order of the war they where filmed in.
Movies
- Troy (Trojan War)
- Braveheart (Scottish Indepence war)
- Master and Commander (100 year war)
- B.O.B. (WWII)
- SPR (WWII
- The Thin Red Line (WWII)
- Stalag 17 (WWII POW)
- Enemy At the Gates (WWII)
- Patton (WWII)
- Devils Brigade (WWII)
- A bridge to far (WWII)
- Memphis Bell (WWII Bomber movie)
- Wind Talkers (WWII)
- Harts War (WWII POW)
- U571 (WWII)
- Pearl Harbor (WWII) *some bits weren't half bad*
- Dirty Dozen (WWII)
- Kelly's Hero's (WWII)
- FMJ (Vietnam)
- Green Berets (Vietnam) *book was far better though*
- Platoon (Vietnam)
- Apocalypse Now REDUX (Vietnam)
- Rambo II (Vietnam) *Not sure if it counts but its in Vietnam*
- We Were Soldiers (Vietnam)
- The Beast (Afghan war 1980s) *Russian POV tank movie*
- Jar Head (Gulf War) *when folks ask me why i want to join the military i tell them to watch this*
- Three Kings (Post gulf war) *very different*
- Black Hawk Down (Somalia Conflict)
- Tears of the sun (modern conflict)
- Sniper (modern conflict i guess) *first one was the best but the other 2 were OK to*
TV Series
- Tour of Duty (Vietnam)
- OVER THERE (current war in Iraq) *Best war series ever made*

And any other descent war movie i forgot about or haven't seen yet.

Cheers :cheers:

an oldie but goodie is called The Big Red One..got Mark Hammel in it..its about the american 1st infantry division in ww2

another one....I believe its called " The Enemy Below" with Kurt jurgens as a U-boat commander and Robert Mitchum as the destroyer capitain hunting him
cheers
Gene

I think the best war movie is "Platoon"
  The worse movie I've seeing is "Jarhead". Especially in the end when they fire their rifles in air. What if the bad guys came? And also when they shot that guy in the head in training.  Some people think so as well. Here's what they have to say on this web site.
http://froggyruminations.blogspot.com/2005/11/welcome-to-suck.html

Genetk44 said:
another one....I believe its called " The Enemy Below" with Kurt jurgens as a U-boat commander and Robert Mitchum as the destroyer capitain hunting him
cheers
Gene
There was a Star Trek (The Original Generation) episode based on that.  It was the one where the Romulans first had their cloaking device (they were the Germans, I guess) and the Enterprise tried to blindly fire at it (depth charges) and Kirk was being obsessed with its destruction.

Anyway, my fave movie (war type) of all time is Cross of Iron. 
As for Korean war movie and book, I thoroughly enjoyed The Bridges at Toko Ri.

What about Pork Chop Hill (B&W 1950s Gregory Peck) and Von Ryan's Express (Colour 1960s Frank Sinatra). A couple of oldies, but goodies.

Cheers,

Wes

newrecruit said:
I think the best war movie is "Platoon"
  The worse movie I've seeing is "Jarhead". Especially in the end when they fire their rifles in air. What if the bad guys came? And also when they shot that guy in the head in training.  Some people think so as well. Here's what they have to say on this web site.
http://froggyruminations.blogspot.com/2005/11/welcome-to-suck.html

And what movie played tonight for the Lads? Yes, Jarhead. I seen this in Darwin in March. I did watch it again, and I still give it a 2/10 if that. As for the firing into the air, its the lack of discipline there which got me, but after all, its Hollywood, adn a movie, a story, not the real thing. I am sure any Marine would have been disgusted or turned off by this movie overall.

Cheers,

Wes

Wesley "Over There" (formerly Down Under) said:
I am sure any Marine would have been disgusted or turned off by this movie overall.
Cheers
Wes
yes

I still Have Band of Brothers in my DVD player.

Not to go off topic but has anyone seen SAS Survival Secrets on the History network, great show!

-Scott  :army:

My fave has to be "Sink the Bismarck".  Dana Wynter, who plays the cool Brit beauty, was actually a German girl who was raised in South Africa.  I saw it as a kid when it came out, and have it on VHS.

"Zulu Dawn", already mentioned by others, is really technically rich and accurate.  When it comes time to save the Colours, you hear, but don't see, the RSM draw his sword.  Also part of my collection.

"Go Tell the Spartans" with Burt Lancaster (also stars in Zulu Dawn) is a fascinating look at America's early involvement in Vietnam.

The original version of "The Four Feathers" (black and white) has a fabulous sequence showing just how effective the British Army's volley fire was prior to 1914.  The troops stand erect behind a zareba, or thorn barrier, and just blaze away at the charging Dervishes.

By the way, that great destroyer-submarine movie, "The Enemy Below", with Robert Mitchum and Kurt Juergens, started out as a British novel, about a Royal Navy destroyer.  Hollywood made it American (natch) and Star Trek, as mnetioned earlier, took the story into space.  I'm glad someone else besides me has made that connection.

Great movies!

I never caught the Star trek Connection with Enemy Below until now :-[.

Incidentally there were two endings of that movie filmed IRRC, the alternate one in which the U-Boat escapes. Although nothing in the IMBD re this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0050356/

I didn’t realise it won an Academy Award (Best Special Effects 1957) until now either.  :-[ :-[

for sheer realism:

Missing In Action (any of the trilogy)
First Blood (any of the trilogy)
Private Benjamin
Stripes
G.I. Jane
Commando
Sergeant Bilko

Couple of well-made flics about mercenaries in Africa:

Dark of The Sun -  circa 1969  with Rod Taylor & Jim Brown as mercenaries in the Congo

The Dogs of War. circa 1979/80 with Christopher Walken - based on Frederick Forsyth's excellant novel of the same  name.

and the less (IMHO) rivetting:

The Wild Geese - an amalgam of the plots above with Richard Burton, Richard Harris, Roger Moore.

Another really good naval movie is "Battle of the River Plate" about the hunt for and destruction of the pocket battleship Graf Spee.

An interesting point is that the Graf Spee in the movie was portrayed by an American cruiser, USS Phoenix, which I believe was later sold to Argentina, renamed General Belgrano, and torpedoed by the British during the Falklands conflict.

Many older war films really hold up today.  One is "Paths of Glory" with Kirk Douglas, about French soldiers shot for cowardice during the First World War.  It is especially poignant today, now that Canadian soldiers who were executed are about to be posthumously pardoned.

My Favs are

Bridge to Far
Patton
Bridge on the River kwai
Midway
Longest Day
Battle of Britian

Back