• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

family life and the military

G

geofftheref

Does anyone have any tips on keeping a marriage going strong, whilst enduring frequent absences away from home and postings to different bases ? How do children cope with this ? How many people leave the CF because of family pressure ?

Does anyone have any tips on keeping a marriage going strong, whilst enduring frequent absences away from home and postings to different bases ?
A lot of communication and respect. First of all, let the spouse know what he/she is getting into before marrying. When possible, discuss posting / course /tour opportunities honestly. Be honest. Set family values and stick by them.
How do children cope with this ?
The younger they are, the better. But there comes a time (usually mid teens) when you have to take their opinion into consideration.
How many people leave the CF because of family pressure ?
Right now, a lot of people (especially those reaching 20 years service and who have teenagers) are leaving because they and/or their family simply don‘t want to move anymore.
BTW: I am starting my 20th year in the RegF, and I have been married for the last 16 years with the same woman. We have 2 children, one in the teens. And no, I do not plan to leave the CF in the near future... :cdn:

I'm actually in the same boat.
My wife respects the decision of me going back, and knows that in the long run the benefits will in one way or another outweigh the negatives. And she has told me this herself, she is afraid of me being gone, especially for the first year while I get my qualifications and whatnot because she doesnt think she can do it. So I reassured her by talling her about the MFRC here in Calgary.  I think I'm taking this in the right track, any other tips or advise from our more experienced members?

Not just for my benefit but also for anyone else who is asking this same question.

Back