• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Falsly allergic to tomatoes VS Medical tech doing power trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

BlueOne

Inactive
Reaction score
I had the medical past week and declared I allready haved a reaction while eating a tomato.

The medical technicien gave me a form for my allergy doctor wich he filled. I have been tested about a year ago for Kiwi, Mango and another fruit I don't remember and the result whas 0/4 positive (so completely negative) I taked the filled form to recruiting center monday and he called me back to ask for a test on tomatoes, wich I schedulled tomorrow. I will have that test negative as well, as I am not allergic to any fruit or vedgetable.

When he will send all of theese "negative" testing results to ottawa, among with my declaration and his point of view, could my file be rejected or would I be asked for more testing ?

Allergies tests are 10$ per unit + 150$ per consultation. There is about 25,000 fruits and vegetables on earth. Will it cost me 250,000$ to join the army just because I declared that I allready HAD a small reaction eating a tomatoe, wich in fact, wasnt fresh and few other people had the same reaction in the restaurent?

Love your thread title....says alot about how your mind works.

::)

No I havn't told you some informations, that's why, so here it is:

During the medical interview, The medical tech told me I would have to do this and this and this to get in or my file would be rejected. I said Ok I will do thoose things bla bla bla, but, I know I havnt been the only one in that restaurent to have this reaction... Then he started yelling at me like I whas crap. (Because I tryed explaining why I declared that reaction in my form)

You know, I am a civilian right now, applying for a job to serve the country. I don't mind about a superior to yell at me because I didn't done my job (while being a military) or for training. But at a medical interview, I founded hard to take. Also, I've always been polite and called him by his grade.

Anyways my question is:

Will the Doctor in Ottawa, reviewing my file, once medical from my recruiting center send it, will reject or recommend me to take ALL the possible fruits and vedgetables tests before getting in.

Yes, I can see that you're always polite.  Or is it because it's an "anonymous" website?

Anyway, you stated you had a reaction after eating a tomato.  The Med Tech required you to get allergy testing.  No different from someone allergic to eggs, to bee stings, etc.

The fact that you were tested a year ago for other fruits, leads me to believe you've had more than one reaction and you're not telling us the whole story.  At any rate, no, they will not make you get tested for every fruit and vegetable on earth.  Whether or not they approve it, I can't say.  It's a Milnet.ca policy not to make on-line diagnoses.

I seriously doubt the Med Tech was doing a "power trip".  Do you realize how many medicals they do each day?  And how many people apply who are in no way medically fit but they still have to go through the process? 

Not to mention, this thread should be in the Enrollment Medical, not Recruiting.

Sorry but I ordered a T-Shirt from MilNet among with my Username so the admin here even have my personnal address.

I just eated a tomato right away, now, I should have filmed it. Guess what, no reaction.<

My point is, I don't argue with the fact that they ask for proof that I am not allergic. Only the reaction of the person I visited. Yes I am always polite, with everyone, making no difference on who you are. The Med Tech I visited that day may had a bad day I can understand, anyways, I truly don't mind about his reaction, he yelled at me, that's ok, I am not the type that will cry when a bad situation happens. I simply told him I whas sorry for shocking him that way and then he camed down.

The reason I have been tested for Kiwi and Mangus before where because I also told my allergist I had this reaction to tomatoe. My visit goal whas about my allergies to spruce, herbs and pollen. He told me he should do thoose tests because he wanted to test for cross-allergies.

Seriously, I understand that this is a stressfull job, but dumping your stress on civilians is not the awnser to your problem, It's better to solve your problems right away, with the persons involved.

My opinion.

BTW: My topic title whas pointed to one individual, not all the med tech! I visited many medical tech during this day for vision, hearing, etc. and they where all professionnal and polite to me, even if I had question or made commentaryes.

CDN Aviator said:
Better get checked for a dictionary allergy too.....

I speak french. Born french, raised in french, went to school in french.

Sorry I try to do my best.

BlueOne said:
I speak french. Born french, raised in french, went to school in french.

Sorry I try to do my best.

That's not a problem on here. My French is very weak, but I can understand you. By that I mean, your English is OK and will certainly improve with practice. I think many members on here are fluently bi-lingual.

So, let me summarize the situation:

You stated you were possibly allergic to a specific allergen,
You were asked for proof that you are not allergic to said allergen,
You gave a result that did not include that allergen,
You got crap for not doing as you were asked.

I think that had you done exactly as you were asked, you wouldn't be having this difficulty right now.

It's not about a power trip, it's about the MedTech having a duty to ensure that applicants' files include all documentation required for processing. Had the file been forwarded with an unanswered question about allergy, it would have been returned by Ottawa.

My only hope is to get better every day. I would love to do an "immersion", like my trade will require me to do, in Kingston.

Here in Quebec, everyone speaks french, even at work. That's hard to improve it if you don't read or practice. Most of my friends doesn't speak english exept for toaster, parking and house. (words) and some other are even against english speaking in our life. I know our language must be protected but I also know that knowing many languages is a must in our world. I speak a great french, did my CEGEP twice and went three month to university in french. We have to take a good care to our language when we give our homework and research back to teachers. I would love to learn Russian, Chinese or Arabic, as my trade will require it (Comm research) I also know that my english will just keep improving as I will be with unilingual/bilingual english based people.
ModlrMike said:
So, let me summarize the situation:

You stated you were possibly allergic to a specific allergen,
You were asked for proof that you are not allergic to said allergen,
You gave a result that did not include that allergen,
You got crap for not doing as you were asked.

I think that had you done exactly as you were asked, you wouldn't be having this difficulty right now.

It's not about a power trip, it's about the MedTech having a duty to ensure that applicants' files include all documentation required for processing. Had the file been forwarded with an unanswered question about allergy, it would have been returned by Ottawa.

I will give the result of the missing allergen tommorow my friend, It will cost me another 160$ for tomatoes :) Btw, I where asked to just give the results I had last year to my allergist, wich I did.

BlueOne said:
Sorry but I ordered a T-Shirt from MilNet among with my Username so the admin here even have my personnal address.

I just eated a tomato right away, now, I should have filmed it. Guess what, no reaction.<

My point is, I don't argue with the fact that they ask for proof that I am not allergic. Only the reaction of the person I visited. Yes I am always polite, with everyone, making no difference on who you are. The Med Tech I visited that day may had a bad day I can understand, anyways, I truly don't mind about his reaction, he yelled at me, that's ok, I am not the type that will cry when a bad situation happens. I simply told him I whas sorry for shocking him that way and then he camed down.

The reason I have been tested for Kiwi and Mangus before where because I also told my allergist I had this reaction to tomatoe. My visit goal whas about my allergies to spruce, herbs and pollen. He told me he should do thoose tests because he wanted to test for cross-allergies.

Seriously, I understand that this is a stressfull job, but dumping your stress on civilians is not the awnser to your problem, It's better to solve your problems right away, with the persons involved.

My opinion.

BTW: My topic title whas pointed to one individual, not all the med tech! I visited many medical tech during this day for vision, hearing, etc. and they where all professionnal and polite to me, even if I had question or made commentaryes.

By your own admission, you have allergies. For a soldier, especially combat arms or another field type unit\trade if that's what you get, I would suggest spruce, herbs and pollen may pose you somewhat of a problem.

We're not doctors here, nor can we diagnose or tell you how things will turn out. A simple search with the word 'allergy' will turn up at least four pages of threads just like yours. Including this one - http://forums.army.ca/forums/threads/12898.0.html. Start there and then read the rest. You'll see that everyone has the same problems and everyone gets told the same thing.

Which is:

Go  to the Recruiting Centre and ask these questions, then do what they tell you.

Locked, we're done here.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back