• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Exploring My Options

Rank-Up

Inactive
Reaction score
First off, I would like to thank all CAF members, you guys are my heroes. I am 16 and would like to explore my career options with the CAF. Recently discovering the career of an Infantry Soldier is not all it is cracked up to be, I need to know what it is like. Speaking with a 25 yr. Veteran (Tank Operator) who told me the military treats you as though you're just a piece of meat in inantry, that you do not have much in the way of oppurtunity and if you are hurt you are basically kicked. How true is all this? The experience of a 25 yr. Vet you would think is enough for me, however I would like more info on the topic. By the way, to any one who has explored other career paths your experience is greatly appreciated. I have gone to R.C.M.P. camps, have my gun handling as well as hunting #, do airsoft regularly and have basically been wanting to join the Canadian Infantry as a soldier all my life. Thanks again,

-Rank-Up

What's life like in the CF?  ---->  www.forces.ca/en/page/lifeintheforces-75

The link above, pretty much sums it up.  It's "your" career and only what "you" make of it.

Good morning.

Everyone has a different story of what their trade is like. Yes, being infantry is a hard trade. You work hard and you play hard. But you are also training to be a front line soldier who protects the lives of other troops. Its your main role. I know a lot of people who are combat arms, some love it and some hate it, but the majority of them enjoy it and wouldn't think of changing roles or trades in the CF.

Every trade is like this. Some love their trade and some hate it. Explore all your options. If you are set on being an infantry soldier, then join the CF as one when you are able to. The CF doesn't lock you into a trade for life. If after your BE (Basic Engagement) is completed and you decide that the trade you are in is not the one for you, then you can apply for an OT (Occupational Transfer) and select a new trade that you think you would better enjoy. By that time (3) years or so, you should have a better understanding on the CF and what some of the trades do.

Don't let others way your decision on something you want to do. If you feel that strong about it, make your own decison and then after you have done it yourself, you can chose what YOU want to do.

asking which trade is better is basically like asking Which car is better while walking at the detroit car show with every dealer around you trying to sell you the PERFECT car.

I might love one trade , and you might end up hating it.  I might hate one trade and you might love it.  We never know, the best bet would be to for one, Go on Forces.ca and look at ALL the trades.  Listen to ALL the videos, then pick up some that you seem will best suit you.
Once this is done, You can either come on here and READ ( do not start asking questions on every single trade you enjoy BEFORE you looked them up with the search function on this site. Chances are every question you might have will already have been answered 28 times.)
THEN once that is done , You could go in a local recruiting center with the top 4-5 trades that you like and ask them specific questions about the entry plans, the waiting period, etc. etc. etc.

That would be how I would do it

Leeworthy said:
Good morning.

Everyone has a different story of what their trade is like. Yes, being infantry is a hard trade. You work hard and you play hard. But you are also training to be a front line soldier who protects the lives of other troops. Its your main role. I know a lot of people who are combat arms, some love it and some hate it, but the majority of them enjoy it and wouldn't think of changing roles or trades in the CF.

Every trade is like this. Some love their trade and some hate it. Explore all your options. If you are set on being an infantry soldier, then join the CF as one when you are able to. The CF doesn't lock you into a trade for life. If after your BE (Basic Engagement) is completed and you decide that the trade you are in is not the one for you, then you can apply for an OT (Occupational Transfer) and select a new trade that you think you would better enjoy. By that time (3) years or so, you should have a better understanding on the CF and what some of the trades do.

Don't let others way your decision on something you want to do. If you feel that strong about it, make your own decison and then after you have done it yourself, you can chose what YOU want to do.

CAUTION!

Yes, it is indeed possible to change occupations at a later date.  HOWEVER, it is neither an easy, nor a quick process.  So be careful with your choices and understand that if you enroll in one occupation, you may be doing it for several years before you are able to change (OT).  If you accept an occupation (just to get in) in hope that you will be able to change later, you could be setting yourself up for huge disappointment.  In order to successfully OT, not only does your desired occupation have to be willing to take you on, your current occupation has be to willing to let you go.  Keep also in mind that no occupation wants somebody else's deadwood, so if you're not doing well in your current occupation (it's difficult to do a job well if you don't like it) then your likelihood of being taken on by another diminishes considerably.

In short, don't enroll in an occupation you're not willing to do for at least a few years.

Thanks you guys, I've watched every canadian armed forces video I can find all basic up videos and will probably join the infantry as a soldier, thanks again.

Rank-Up said:
Thanks you guys, I've watched every Canadian Armed Forces video I can find all basic up videos and will probably join the infantry as a soldier, thanks again.

It's our name. It deserves capitals.

And good luck.

Back